Sam Byram

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
The Don
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Re: Sam Byram

Post by The Don »

I think we should be loyal to players if they want to play for us and it might be upsetting for them to read talk about us cashing in.
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

I'm pretty sure their paycheques cushion any kind of mental impact that theoretical discussion fans have about clubs which pay those cheques theoretically cashing in on them.
SMorientes
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by SMorientes »

Bogdan wrote:I'm pretty sure their paycheques cushion any kind of mental impact that theoretical discussion fans have about clubs which pay those cheques theoretically cashing in on them.
Far less than you might think, money doesn't preclude mental insecurity, nor does it guarantee happiness. In fact when given in excess to young people it can lead to a naïvely superficial lifestyle which leads to more insecurity. That's why so many footballers, and young film stars, suffer mental health issues and depression.
"Whenever people agree with me, I always feel I must be wrong."
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

SMorientes wrote:
Bogdan wrote:I'm pretty sure their paycheques cushion any kind of mental impact that theoretical discussion fans have about clubs which pay those cheques theoretically cashing in on them.
Far less than you might think, money doesn't preclude mental insecurity, nor does it guarantee happiness. In fact when given in excess to young people it can lead to a naïvely superficial lifestyle which leads to more insecurity. That's why so many footballers, and young film stars, suffer mental health issues and depression.
You know I didn't mean that literally, I was just making light of the thought that we should be wary of transfer speculation in itself being able to upset a player and disturb their loyalty, which most of them have in very thin quantities anyway.
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

OK, fair enough sorry. It's just a common misconception that gets my back up, but I should know you better than to pounce like that.

I do wonder how much footballers read online fans' comments about them, I know a lot of other people in the public eye become obsessed with googling themselves, and I imagine I'd be the same. The internet would've been a horrendous place for Luke varnish to go last season.
Last edited by SMorientes on 15 Aug 2013, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

Who hasn't googled their own name?
Deleted User 2

Post by Deleted User 2 »

SMorientes wrote:Luke varnish
You really need to take the effort to overrule your phone's spelling suggestion of Varney and add it in its dictionary. I imagine it's generally confusing to be seeing a sympathy post of him using a spelling like that of his name. :D
SMorientes

Post by SMorientes »

Bogdan wrote:
SMorientes wrote:Luke varnish
You really need to take the effort to overrule your phone's spelling suggestion of Varney and add it in its dictionary. I imagine it's generally confusing to be seeing a sympathy post of him using a spelling like that of his name. :D
Haha I like to let my phone have its fun. It started off being my laziness preventing putting his real name in but now I think of it as an affectionate nickname. It isn't too pejorative, after all, he puts the gloss on our performances (for if you're reading varnish). :D
Deleted User 130

Post by Deleted User 130 »

Respect to anyone if they were saying at the relevant time that Byram was tired and should be rested, though I don't think anyone was saying he should be rested because he's got a hip problem which will get worse if he isn't given a lay-off.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

onenorthernsoul wrote:Respect to anyone if they were saying at the relevant time that Byram was tired and should be rested, though I don't think anyone was saying he should be rested because he's got a hip problem which will get worse if he isn't given a lay-off.
I did. You can't overplay young players or they'll get injured; they may run around like they can keep on doing so for days on end, but their body isn't adapted to playing week in week out for 90 minutes. The same thing happened to Jack Wilshere and Nathaniel Clyne when they played almost every game in a season (Clyne literally played all 46 games). Their muscles can't take the strain.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."