naming the starting 11

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: naming the starting 11

Post by Barlow Boy »

Ahead of the press conference today against Boro, I’ve asked Adam Pope not to ask MB to name his starting line up.

He will, of course, it’s his job, but I’m hoping he will ask MB if he believes naming his starting 11 provides the opposition with an advantage.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
janecky
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by janecky »

Bielsa on whether him naming his team gives the opposition an advantage: "No. For me it is not important at all."
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Barlow Boy wrote:Ahead of the press conference today against Boro, I’ve asked Adam Pope not to ask MB to name his starting line up.

He will, of course, it’s his job, but I’m hoping he will ask MB if he believes naming his starting 11 provides the opposition with an advantage.
I think it is important to not name your squad until the last minute personally speaking. I remember when Jack Charlton was the Rep of Ireland manager and he was always insistent on naming his team at the last minute because it gave him some advantage because he could change the team sheet to suit the oppositions players that were chosen. I know Bielsa is a tactical genius but i would rather him not to name his team in advance of the opposition.

In saying that we are a threadbare squad and any medium to good manager will already know their eventualities regarding out team play by now so i guess for Bielsa he already knows this and goes along with it because he can't do anything else anyway.

I do think that there should be a rule that all teams admitted shouldn't be made public up until one hour before kick off anyway, what i mean is that both managers announce the team sheets together at the same time this would bring more of a psychological aspect to the managers skill set.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

CorkWhite wrote:...I remember when Jack Charlton was the Rep of Ireland manager and he was always insistent on naming his team at the last minute because it gave him some advantage because he could change the team sheet to suit the oppositions players that were chosen...
I remember that too Corky, but I think that was his eventual reason/explanation, because it started at the 1990 World Cup when Bobby Robson refused to name his team until the hour before kick off.
Big Jack said at the press conference "If they want to play silly buggers, then I can play silly buggers." Great times :)
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

kk_white wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:...I remember when Jack Charlton was the Rep of Ireland manager and he was always insistent on naming his team at the last minute because it gave him some advantage because he could change the team sheet to suit the oppositions players that were chosen...
I remember that too Corky, but I think that was his eventual reason/explanation, because it started at the 1990 World Cup when Bobby Robson refused to name his team until the hour before kick off.
Big Jack said at the press conference "If they want to play silly buggers, then I can play silly buggers." Great times :)
I remember it well KK, and yes they were great times indeed.

I met Big Jack when he was in Cork, It was about 3 months before he finally gave up the Ireland job. He instantly recognized the Leeds shirt in the middle of an army of Irish shirts during one of his many openings of buildings and other invited formal occasions he was invited to. He stopped in mid-sentence pointed at me and said something like I have a piece of home here with me, stuck up his thumb winked his eye and went back to whatever he was supposed to do. I was quiet shy in those days and everyone around was looking at me.... I think that was the last time i really blushed for real.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

CorkWhite wrote:
kk_white wrote:
I remember it well KK, and yes they were great times indeed.

I met Big Jack when he was in Cork, It was about 3 months before he finally gave up the Ireland job. He instantly recognized the Leeds shirt in the middle of an army of Irish shirts during one of his many openings of buildings and other invited formal occasions he was invited to. He stopped in mid-sentence pointed at me and said something like I have a piece of home here with me, stuck up his thumb winked his eye and went back to whatever he was supposed to do. I was quiet shy in those days and everyone around was looking at me.... I think that was the last time i really blushed for real.
He told me to f-off at a signing session in Kilkenny in the 90's :thumbup: :D
In fairness I queued up 4 or 5 times to get him to sign pictures. He eventually recognised me and had enough. He showed me a huge welt on his finger from all the autographs. I reckon there was over a thousand people at the session... and we all had several things for him to sign.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay