Debt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Re: Debt

Post by ilkley62 »

CorkWhite wrote:Not sure if the Fit and Proper test is really working and the EFL rules about staying within budget will ever work in the long term as you can see from that list everyone bar two clubs are in debt, some small others in way over their heads. This is the shame of football nowadays. It affects not just the club, but also the fanbase, and the wider community.

I have in recent years fallen out with football in many ways and this is one of the biggest factors why i have been less inclined to watch football on TV or go to matches when i am in Ireland or the UK. There are too few clubs in the EFL and lower Premiership who are actually making any money out of it. Parachute payments are just an incentive to get promoted nothing more. I blame Sky TV and other similar companies for ruining the heart and soul of Football as i remember it. I just read on BBC sport its 40 years since the first 1 million transfer fee was paid for Trevor Francis from Birmingham to Nottingham Forest and the record currently stands at 93.5 million for a player. I remember the Trevor Francis transfer happening, it was huge money back then. I do think there should be a grading system depending on your last three seasons and how well you performed, cups won, MoM awards and other factors such as player of the year, club awards etc. This grading would be capped and structured in such a way that clubs could stay within a set amount, then if two or more clubs met the cost then the player decides which club he wants to go to.

If something isn't done, in the next 15-20 years many of the clubs will go out of existence. The bubble is only there for the bigger teams everyone else are just bottom feeders unfortunately.
enjoyed that & agreed with a lot of what you have said, The most pleasing thing about this season for me is we seem to have got a bit of our soul back as a club which is way more important than whether we are in the PL or not
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

All of this will blow up when the bottom falls out of Sky's monopoly, as it surely will in the next five years.

With more and more people choosing not to subscribe, to watch on different platforms and to illegally stream matches, there's simply no reason to pay £80/month.
Once certain apps are available on smart TVs as well, I can see a seismic drop in their business which will have a knock-on effect on the next deal they make with the clubs.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

rigger wrote:All of this will blow up when the bottom falls out of Sky's monopoly, as it surely will in the next five years.

With more and more people choosing not to subscribe, to watch on different platforms and to illegally stream matches, there's simply no reason to pay £80/month.
Once certain apps are available on smart TVs as well, I can see a seismic drop in their business which will have a knock-on effect on the next deal they make with the clubs.
Here in Australia we've recently had Kayo Sports launch, a sport streaming service. It is everything that Foxtel (our equivalent of Sky) has for half the price.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:All of this will blow up when the bottom falls out of Sky's monopoly, as it surely will in the next five years.

Good post by CorkWhite. I also agree with Rigger's point about Sky. Unfortunately, there will always be someone around to keep the ball rolling, albeit maybe at a slightly lower pace.
I once played against Don Revie.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Whilst I think sky are ruining football particularly at championship level where quite frankly the teams should pull out. I believe you couldn’t be more wrong in terms of the revenue potentially available from television rights.

IMHO the premier league should ditch SKY and set up its own platform a la Netflix. Remember Netflix have very little of their own content, “PREMFLIX” would have their own content and brand. 100m subscribers @ £5.99 for 10 months would bring in £5b .... 3 times the present TV deal. The costs to operate are minimal whilst the revenue streams from advertising would also be substantial. Once established the platform could actually widen its offer to other sports. In fact 100m subscribers worldwide is a drop in the ocean.... man United could get that in China on their own!

The premier league just needs to start acting like a brand and plan a future on its own.
Deleted User 728

ISR, but will people play when they can watch for free ??

Look at music.
People no longer buy albums and the artists earn money from live shows and merchandise sales.

If you take football, by comparison, the model used to be club's survived on gate receipts (physical single and album sales) while being on TV (on tour) only added a little extra revenue. Now, the big club's could play behind closed doors and suffer no ill-effects, financially.

I think sooner or later the people still going to matches will be seen as hardcore fans, like vinyl collectors with expensive hi-fi's, while the casual fan will go once in a while and watch the rest on TV and if he's not doing that he'll use his phone to access YouTube and play music on his portable speaker.

The internet has changed economics completely.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:ISR, but will people play when they can watch for free ??

Look at music.
People no longer buy albums and the artists earn money from live shows and merchandise sales.

If you take football, by comparison, the model used to be club's survived on gate receipts (physical single and album sales) while being on TV (on tour) only added a little extra revenue. Now, the big club's could play behind closed doors and suffer no ill-effects, financially.

I think sooner or later the people still going to matches will be seen as hardcore fans, like vinyl collectors with expensive hi-fi's, while the casual fan will go once in a while and watch the rest on TV and if he's not doing that he'll use his phone to access YouTube and play music on his portable speaker.

In terms of attendances at games ... I think it’s onky a matter of time that the clubs begin to understand its their responsibility to provide the best canvas for their product on TV... therefore ultimately prices may come down as grounds empty as nobody will want to watch at home when the atmosphere resemble the crucible.

The internet has changed economics completely.

Two Points ... the reason people stream illegally is the cost of sky..... at Netflix price £6 .... would people bother for inferior dodgy streams. Secondly as a single portal for the content I’m pretty sure the site can have greater lock out security features. I’m no expert but can you hack into Netflix or Spotify.?

The one other thing is the clubs would ultimately have control hopefully ensuring live product is not damaged any further.
Deleted User 728

isrodger wrote:I’m no expert but can you hack into Netflix or Spotify.?
No, you're right about that .. for now.
That could change if it became the de facto way of watching though.
Torrents of Netflix shows exist though so it's not impossible.

The one other thing is the clubs would ultimately have control hopefully ensuring live product is not damaged any further.
Now this is where I can see things changing : each club negotiating their own deal with either a third party, like Netflix, or their own platform if they're big enough, such as the case with Real and Barca I believe.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

If you like championship and below then EFL's iFollow is £110 for the season, or if you like premiership NowTV has offers for sky (latest being £1pm for 4 months for 5 sky sports channels including the PL channel, and then £6pm afterwards - if you don't mind watching on a mobile).

As to Netflix and spotify, you do get stuff on ipTV, so if can be done but people can also do the everlasting trial trick if they really want. However for most people the cost of amazon prime/Netflix/etc means they ditch Sky and willing to pay for the subscription. Most people are willing to pay for TV, but find the ever increasing all encompassing Sky model less appealing when cheaper legal offerings are out there. You will always get a minority of people who aim to get things for free, irrespective of what it involves, but their has always been lots of people willing to pay for content but prefer reasonable costs. Sky via NowTV does allow Sky to keep its premium services but allow another option for people that may be lured away to cheaper alternatives.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote:I’m no expert but can you hack into Netflix or Spotify.?
No, you're right about that .. for now.
That could change if it became the de facto way of watching though.
Torrents of Netflix shows exist though so it's not impossible.

Now this is where I can see things changing : each club negotiating their own deal with either a third party, like Netflix, or their own platform if they're big enough, such as the case with Real and Barca I believe.
Good points by both here, I agree with ISR with regards to the setting up of a netflix or spotify style streaming instead of sky TV which have monopolized for far too long and the prices have gone astronomical and in many cases comical for live matches.

However i believe Riggers point about whatever system they choose, once it becomes the De-Facto website, app, or channel, Hackers Will break it because they can and what happens after that is the same as it is now.... Whatever choices are made it will eventually see the rise in prices once again and we are still talking about this topic in 10-20 years time.

I personally don't agree with any one company owning all the rights to football or any other sports event. I believe that terrestrial TV channels should have a percentage of matches no matter the category A,B, or C to keep the neutral sports lovers interested. Sky, Amazon, ESPN and others should be also monitored by the government for excessive charges and in the best interest of the public they should be held accountable for ruining more businesses. Entertainment centers, and giving general headaches to tax man who never had so much to deal with since Sky loomed over the British footballing establishment.