Debt

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
IrelandLeeds
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: Debt

Post by IrelandLeeds »

CorkWhite wrote:Not sure if the Fit and Proper test is really working and the EFL rules about staying within budget will ever work in the long term as you can see from that list everyone bar two clubs are in debt, some small others in way over their heads. This is the shame of football nowadays. It affects not just the club, but also the fanbase, and the wider community.

I have in recent years fallen out with football in many ways and this is one of the biggest factors why i have been less inclined to watch football on TV or go to matches when i am in Ireland or the UK. There are too few clubs in the EFL and lower Premiership who are actually making any money out of it. Parachute payments are just an incentive to get promoted nothing more. I blame Sky TV and other similar companies for ruining the heart and soul of Football as i remember it. I just read on BBC sport its 40 years since the first 1 million transfer fee was paid for Trevor Francis from Birmingham to Nottingham Forest and the record currently stands at 93.5 million for a player. I remember the Trevor Francis transfer happening, it was huge money back then. I do think there should be a grading system depending on your last three seasons and how well you performed, cups won, MoM awards and other factors such as player of the year, club awards etc. This grading would be capped and structured in such a way that clubs could stay within a set amount, then if two or more clubs met the cost then the player decides which club he wants to go to.

If something isn't done, in the next 15-20 years many of the clubs will go out of existence. The bubble is only there for the bigger teams everyone else are just bottom feeders unfortunately.
Cork White. I remember the Trevor Francis transfer too, I think Tony Hateley was the first £100,000 transfer.
Showing my age now!! Some poster might confirm.
Re Sky Sports, agree with your point. They control the kick off times too, and our own GAA got into bed with them too.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

IrelandLeeds wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:Not sure if the Fit and Proper test is really working and the EFL rules about staying within budget will ever work in the long term as you can see from that list everyone bar two clubs are in debt, some small others in way over their heads. This is the shame of football nowadays. It affects not just the club, but also the fanbase, and the wider community.

I have in recent years fallen out with football in many ways and this is one of the biggest factors why i have been less inclined to watch football on TV or go to matches when i am in Ireland or the UK. There are too few clubs in the EFL and lower Premiership who are actually making any money out of it. Parachute payments are just an incentive to get promoted nothing more. I blame Sky TV and other similar companies for ruining the heart and soul of Football as i remember it. I just read on BBC sport its 40 years since the first 1 million transfer fee was paid for Trevor Francis from Birmingham to Nottingham Forest and the record currently stands at 93.5 million for a player. I remember the Trevor Francis transfer happening, it was huge money back then. I do think there should be a grading system depending on your last three seasons and how well you performed, cups won, MoM awards and other factors such as player of the year, club awards etc. This grading would be capped and structured in such a way that clubs could stay within a set amount, then if two or more clubs met the cost then the player decides which club he wants to go to.

If something isn't done, in the next 15-20 years many of the clubs will go out of existence. The bubble is only there for the bigger teams everyone else are just bottom feeders unfortunately.
Cork White. I remember the Trevor Francis transfer too, I think Tony Hateley was the first £100,000 transfer.
Re Sky Sports, agree with your point. They control the kick off times too, and our own GAA got into bed with them too.
If there is one sport i was hoping they wouldn't go near it was the GAA IL, In regards to the 100,000 fee i think it was Denis Law going to Torino in 1961, the first 50,000 player was our own John Charles to Juventus in 1957, both great players i never got to see personally as i was just a twinkle in my dad's eyes at that stage. (I cheated i looked it up on wikipedia) :D
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

CorkWhite wrote:
IrelandLeeds wrote:

If there is one sport i was hoping they wouldn't go near it was the GAA IL, In regards to the 100,000 fee i think it was Denis Law going to Torino in 1961, the first 50,000 player was our own John Charles to Juventus in 1957, both great players i never got to see personally as i was just a twinkle in my dad's eyes at that stage. (I cheated i looked it up on wikipedia) :D
Wiki is not v reliable - John Charles' transfer was £65k, mate, and it was a record for a British player (I believe) but not a world record I do recall from research that the Tony Hateley fee was a v high one (and overpriced) but don't know if it was a record fee :)
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:
IrelandLeeds wrote:

Wiki is not v reliable - John Charles' transfer was £65k, mate, and it was a record for a British player (I believe) but not a world record I do recall from research that the Tony Hateley fee was a v high one (and overpriced) but don't know if it was a record fee :)
Yes on wikipedia it says 65k for John Charles but he was the first player over 50k as what i have seen. :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Corky is correct Dennis law was the first £100,000 transfer (£115,000 to Torino from Man City) but the first between English Clubs was Alan Ball (£110,000 Blackpool to everton in 1966).
Jimmy Greaves would have the record I believe but went for £99,999 before that.

First for exactly £100,000 was of course a certain Mick Jones.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:Corky is correct Dennis law was the first £100,000 transfer (£115,000 to Torino from Man City) but the first between English Clubs was Alan Ball (£110,000 Blackpool to everton in 1966).

You sure mate? Revie was said to have insisted the transfer fee was £99,999 (and possibly 99p :D ) so as not to put pressure on Jonesy. I think MJ says that in his autobiog too, I've definitely heard of it a few times anyway, it's not my imagination honest :P
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

So have we set the British transfer record 3 times?
King John 65k
Sniffer 165k
Rio 18m
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

ilkley62 wrote:So have we set the British transfer record 3 times?
King John 65k
Sniffer 165k
Rio 18m
Correction Rio's was but when we sold him 28m+ not when we bought him
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:Corky is correct Dennis law was the first £100,000 transfer (£115,000 to Torino from Man City) but the first between English Clubs was Alan Ball (£110,000 Blackpool to everton in 1966).

You sure mate? Revie was said to have insisted the transfer fee was £99,999 (and possibly 99p :D ) so as not to put pressure on Jonesy. I think MJ says that in his autobiog too, I've definitely heard of it a few times anyway, it's not my imagination honest :P
No not sure, have previously heard that story also but most things i've read state £100,000
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.