The golden youth production line at Leeds

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Oldfox
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

The golden youth production line at Leeds

Post by Oldfox »

On Friday I watched most of the U23 fixture against Notts County on-line. Leeds won 2-1 and frankly they should have been 5-0 up in the first half. It was like watching the first team where the dominance does not translate to the score line. Although it was quite frustrating to see so many attempts on goal being off target, the experienced Brown and Roberts being the main culprits, our younger players though looked fantastic. If you are a young player Leeds must be one of the best places to be. Not only do you have the opportunity to play under one of the most acclaimed coaches in the world, but if you prove yourself you have a fantastic chance of playing in the first team.

So far this season Will Huffer, Bailey Peacock-Farrell, Leif Davis, Aopa Halme, Jamie Shackleton, Jordan Stevens, Clarke Odour, Ryan Edmondson, Jack Clarke, Kun Temenuzhkov, Tom Pearce and Conor Shaughnessy have all made first team appearances. There is also a queue of talent behind them awaiting their chance. Everyone of them that has made a first team appearances has acquitted himself well and you can see the Bielsa factor in them all.

Leeds have a history of producing great players through their academy, I cannot ever remember however, having the sheer quantity of talented youngsters we are blessed with at the moment. When you build a strong youth set up you build a legacy. The way we are going we could field a full team of academy products in the near future and nothing fosters a family spirit in a football club more than a host of players who have grown up together, like Revie did.
Last edited by Oldfox on 16 Feb 2019, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Re: The golden youth production line at Leeds

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I have to agree these are exciting times & the future is looking rosy. I would love to see another O'Leary era in the years to come. Not only are producing our own players we are bringing in players who will make an impact in a few years. The problem we've had since O'Leary is owners cashing in on players like Delph, Cooke & Howson, little of the transfer fees reinvested. Personally having watched Leeds since the mid 60's I always thought Fabian Delph was the special one, such grace & athleticism the likes of which are rarely seen, I would sit in my seat in the East Stand totally in awe of him.

Jack Clarke is the new wonder kid & again he's a very special talent but saying that Halme did well when required but the lad I'm very impressed with is Jamie Shackleton who has that little bit of magic to him. Bailey-Peacock Farrell can only improve under the wing of Casilla.

The futures white & futures bright.

MOT
Winner of the Europa League
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

'Jamie Peacock-Farrell' :P

Oldfox, you a Leeds Rhinos fan by any chance, or a Hull KR fan? :D
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Always love to see players coming through from the academy, certainly makes us proud.

The only disappointment over the years is the lack of genuine strikers we produce.
I'm sure I'm probably missing someone but I can only think of Alan Smith, Noel Whelan and Terry Connor that played in the top flight in the last 50 years.

Don't know why when we can produce midfielders and defenders for fun.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

TBF chaps we haven't 'home-produced' all of these debutants, a few were signed in the last year or so.

Still, I totally agree in principle, it's great to see Academy products succeed - Victor Orta deserves much credit for almost re-creating Thorp Arch after a certain owner decided it wasn't worth supporting financially.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Certainly better than the plastic youth production line when I was there! :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.