44 Days with Brian Clough.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Torquay White
Terry Venables's car dealer

44 Days with Brian Clough.

Post by Torquay White »

Having just watched Damned United (again) can anyone enlighten me about the 44 days of Brian Clough - my Dad was to young & all i know is what the film tells me & hear say from other people from Torquay. Would love to hear some first hand accounts from members of the forum who remember the time - Was it all down to Clough & his man management - Hatred for Revie & Player power - over to you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 44 Days with Brian Clough.

Post by Selby White »

He will go down in history as a top manager but in truth he was a fake, never achieved anything without Peter Taylor who was the brains. Clough was just the mouthpiece and attention seeker that took the credit.
Laughable he called the best team in Europe cheats, ironic for someone that admitted watering the pitch at Derby to gain an advantage.

I hate fakes ;)
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

I'm sure there's been pages written about the film and the book and the real events on here already ie it's been done to death. Try the Search option :thumbup:
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Selby White wrote:He will go down in history as a top manager but in truth he was a fake, never achieved anything without Peter Taylor who was the brains. Clough was just the mouthpiece and attention seeker that took the credit.
Laughable he called the best team in Europe cheats, ironic for someone that admitted watering the pitch at Derby to gain an advantage.

I hate fakes ;)

Bit harsh calling him a fake, mate :problem:

Granted, he wasn't much cop on his own either here or in the latter days at Forest, but then look at how many other managers insist on taking their backroom crew with them wherever they go ?
I think what he achieved at Forest was staggering, while Derby was pretty impressive too.

One thing he said that always stuck with me was when he was talking about Glenn Hoddle : he wished he'd worked with him as he thought he could make him a better player. What he meant was he would've turned him from something of a luxury (especially in the days of a two man central midfield) into an England regular, which he never really was.
If you then think about Roy Keane and the player he became under him then I think he may have had a point.
Also, think about how many other players were superb under his leadership and very, very average elsewhere with Garry Birtles being a typical example.

I don't think he was a fake : he was just one half of a very successful partnership who looked a bit lost when it was just him ..
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Torquay White wrote:my Dad was to young
How old are you then ?
Torquay White

Post by Torquay White »

rigger wrote:
How old are you then ?
Torquay White

Post by Torquay White »

rigger wrote:
How old are you then ?
I say to young he was about 12 i think.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Too young, it's TOO young :lol:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:He will go down in history as a top manager but in truth he was a fake, never achieved anything without Peter Taylor who was the brains. Clough was just the mouthpiece and attention seeker that took the credit.

I hate fakes ;)

Bit harsh calling him a fake, mate :problem:

Granted, he wasn't much cop on his own either here or in the latter days at Forest, but then look at how many other managers insist on taking their backroom crew with them wherever they go ?
I think what he achieved at Forest was staggering, while Derby was pretty impressive too.

One thing he said that always stuck with me was when he was talking about Glenn Hoddle : he wished he'd worked with him as he thought he could make him a better player. What he meant was he would've turned him from something of a luxury (especially in the days of a two man central midfield) into an England regular, which he never really was.
If you then think about Roy Keane and the player he became under him then I think he may have had a point.
Also, think about how many other players were superb under his leadership and very, very average elsewhere with Garry Birtles being a typical example.

I don't think he was a fake : he was just one half of a very successful partnership who looked a bit lost when it was just him ..
Clough was never the same without Peter Taylor. By the time he came to Leeds (without Taylor) his ego was out of control. His tactic of telling senior Leeds players (and internationals) that they were cheats, indicated that he thought he was bigger than the club. He lost the dressing room in an instant. He didn't shoot himself in the foot, he shot himself in the head.
I once played against Don Revie.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Agree that his ego got in the way at Leeds, wrong time for him to be here.

He / they (with Taylor) did build 2 excellent teams at Derby & Forest but don't forget how much he spent, haven't got the facts to hand but wouldn't be surprised if he spent as much at Derby & Forest as any club in the division at the time.

He bought a lot of players at both clubs & didn't he break the transfer record at both as well? Nish at Derby & Francis at Forest