44 Days with Brian Clough.

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 44 Days with Brian Clough.

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Phil147 wrote:Would it have been any different if Peter Taylor had come with him? Maybe he would have smoothed the relationship between Clough and the players. Whoever came in at that point was going to have a big rebuilding job ahead of them in the next couple of years, Clough tried to do it too quickly and in the wrong way. He himself admitted later he was too arrogant and should have gone about things differently. I think Peter Taylor would have helped him there.
When you look what he managed to do with Derby and especially with Forest I do wonder what he might have achieved at Leeds if he was given more time and had a different approach.
From memory I'm sure Don Revie had recommended Johnny Giles for the role and the board were going to go with that and then Billy Bremner threw his hat in for the role as well. The board panicked not wanting to upset the apple cart and have a divided dressing room so went for an external appointment instead.
So the board bottled it with the GIles situation. And then they bottled it again when sacking Clough... Both times giving into or fearful of player power.
I used to think that very same thing about Billy and Johnny, Phil47, until literally last week when I was told slightly different about Billy.
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Interesting... what was it you were told about Billy?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Under Clough I doubt we'd have got to the European Cup final, remember we lost the first leg of the our first round match in Zurich.

On the BB and JG situation I've heard that Billy didn't want Johnny to get the job and told the board as much (don't know if its true but maybe what ANS heard).

Personally I would have loved either JG or Big jack to have been our manager.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Selby White wrote:Under Clough I doubt we'd have got to the European Cup final, remember we lost the first leg of the our first round match in Zurich.

On the BB and JG situation I've heard that Billy didn't want Johnny to get the job and told the board as much (don't know if its true but maybe what ANS heard).

Personally I would have loved either JG or Big jack to have been our manager.
No mate, it's entirely the opposite (this answers Phil47 too). I can't go into detail yet as it's part of research work I'm doing. Sorry if that sounds pretentious (it does, I know!) but all will become clearer later in the year. :angel:
Phil147

Post by Phil147 »

OK, I look forward to that!!
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Phil147 wrote:OK, I look forward to that!!
Yes, sorry to be so secretive but anyway, it really surprised me too - it's effectively evidence that BB was fine with the prospect of JG taking the job.
Phil147

Post by Phil147 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Yes, sorry to be so secretive but anyway, it really surprised me too - it's effectively evidence that BB was fine with the prospect of JG taking the job.
No need for the apology :thumbup:

If Billy was indeed fine with this it then means the commonly held view that they went for Clough to avoid a falling out in the dressing room is not correct. Or at least not the main reason.
One point is after Clough left why didn't Giles get it then? Can't remember now if he turned it down or wasn't offered it again.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Phil147 wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
No need for the apology :thumbup:

If Billy was indeed fine with this it then means the commonly held view that they went for Clough to avoid a falling out in the dressing room is not correct. Or at least not the main reason.
One point is after Clough left why didn't Giles get it then? Can't remember now if he turned it down or wasn't offered it again.
John Giles didn't want the job after being led to believe it was his but then told the board wanted Clough. In other words, JG wasn't prepared to put up with any such nonsense, it's a shame as if I remember correctly, the board were willing to give him the job after Clough. I never did quite understand why Jack wasn't considered. I used to dream about What if Leeds had got Bill Shankly in? :D
Clarke One Nil
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by Clarke One Nil »

Here's Johnny Giles' take on it.

Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

And there you have it. A relatively young manager going into a experienced team and treating them like a bunch of ****s.

Edited by Rigger - extremely excessive language