Potential targets after promotion

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Re: Potential targets after promotion

Post by Daz5 »

Will be down to pence and how much money to gamble . just dont want to fill up with old journey men
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

2 / 3 experienced players.... picking up on historic links Llorente and Milner. Then 4 or 5 young and up and coming players. Dan james etc.

In terms of positions the only players I think will confortably make the transition to the premiership if we go are Cassillas, Jannson, Philips and Clarke. I expect Shackleton and an other to emerge. It will be interesting to see who Bielsa Ruthlessly disposes of Ayling / Forshaw ??? And who gets a crack at the premiership Roofe and Bamford ??

If we don’t go up for me it would be essential we sign a winger a number 10 and probably a centre forward.
maltrain
Neil Redfearn's diversity coach

Post by maltrain »

Marcelo Bielsa should buy a chilean player: Charles Aránguiz.

Great midfielder, today on Bayer Leverkusen, one of the most important players of the national squad who knows perfectly how Bielsa plays.

It's like Samu Sáiz but a hundred times better.

He shouldn't be as expensive either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-phVvq1A7O8
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

Milner is a great shout. Loves the club and, if the rumours are true, wants to come back to end his career here. I think Bielsa would stick with quite a few: Casillas, Ayling, Cooper (his is the most remarkable transformation of all this season), Pontus, Pablo, Clarke, Alioski (also something of a revelation under Bielsa), Bamford, Phillips, Beradi, Roberts, Shackleton. I think for the chop: Roofe, Foreshaw, Dallas - Championship players at best.

We would need a top striker and a number 10 because Pablo can't go on forever (I personally think Saiz would do well in the PL but I guess that ship has sailed).

Possibly cherry pick the best from those coming down, and I think Harrison is worth a punt too - he's improving game on game and he's a young lad with the best yet to come.

Messi would be pretty good too :D
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Out of the current squad, I fully expect all bar maybe Dallas to this still be a part of the team next season. Again, I cannot see more than 3, maybe 4, new signings. And that does not bother me at all.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Agree with the two above posters. I can't see too many incoming players. MB is more about developing players than buying a team.
Wholesale changes may actually rock the boat. New players don't just have to be good they need to buy in to MB's philosophy.

Think a lot of our future buying has already been done with us attracting young talented players, expect a 2 or 3 to break into the first team squad per season.

As we know MB and his team can improve players, the need to buy isn't anywhere near as important as to some of our rivals.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Selby White wrote:Agree with the two above posters. I can't see too many incoming players. MB is more about developing players than buying a team.
Wholesale changes may actually rock the boat. New players don't just have to be good they need to buy in to MB's philosophy.

Think a lot of our future buying has already been done with us attracting young talented players, expect a 2 or 3 to break into the first team squad per season.

As we know MB and his team can improve players, the need to buy isn't anywhere near as important as to some of our rivals.
Yes, I agree with this too. We do have a lot of quality in the underage squads which can mix it in any league. Bielsa has in my opinion given us the benchmark for not just his time here but a new culture after he eventually leaves. I believe the hierarchy will buy into the new philosophy that Bielsa and his team of magicians have been installing into our squad. Bielsa would raise any players game by about 2-3 levels in truth and if we were to spend any kind of money I agree it would be for players he knows he can shape into being a better player.

Good point SW when you said that too many new players especially expensive players would definitely rock the boat. Leeds United and Bielsa don't need players who are full of ego, we need players who buy into the philosophy and develop from there.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

IF we go up...

Kiko - BPF

Ayling - Jansson - NEW CB - Alioski/NEW
Shackleton - Berardi - Cooper - Douglas

Phillips
Forshaw

Pablo - Klich - MILNER - NEW LW
Clarke - Roberts - Shackelton - Alioski/NEW

NEW CF
Bamford/Roofe
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Adam Pope
Bielsa says because he has not analysed the PL yet then he can’t say if any of his squad can make the step up. However, he did say any of his players could play for Athletic Bilbao or Marseille who he managed. #lufc
I think this quote does probably suggest what has been said in here, and that we won't see a vast number of signings in the summer. I would generally agree with polkadot's post above, except I doubt we will see a new striker.

GK: Casilla, Peacock-Farrell
RB: Ayling, Berardi
CB: Jansson, Cooper, NEW
LB: Alioski, Douglas
DM: Phillips, Forshaw
RM: Hernandez, Clarke
CM: Klich, Shackleton
CM: New, Roberts
LW: NEW
ST: Bamford, Roofe
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
birkybullufc
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by birkybullufc »

This time last season I would probably say only Phillips, Hernandez, Vieira, Saiz, Roofe, Jansson and Cooper would be good enough for the Premier League. Now I wouldn't have qualms about anyone who has played this season for us doing a job in the EPL if we secure promotion. The improvement collectively and individually is excellent. Baker and Brown have been the only disappointments. The latter just down to fitness and not seeing what he can do.
CB, CM, winger and a striker and we're sorted.
Follow the cause not the leaders.