Villa viewpoint

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
cheffy007
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Villa viewpoint

Post by cheffy007 »

Barlow Boy wrote:
cheffy007 wrote: Welcome in Villan, its friendly on here and you always know what the lads are having for their tea. :lolno:
and where to buy the tastiest chutneys around :thumbup:
I take Mrs BB enjoyed her Christmas Present :thumbup:
For homemade pickles, chutneys and tomato ketchup, go to www.stuckinapickle.co.uk
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

cheffy007 wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
cheffy007 wrote: Welcome in Villan, its friendly on here and you always know what the lads are having for their tea. :lolno:
and where to buy the tastiest chutneys around :thumbup:
I take Mrs BB enjoyed her Christmas Present :thumbup:
Yes mate, the Asian Spiced one is her current favourite :thumbup:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Good read that. Massive club The Villa. I always remember Paul Merson saying when he signed for Villa he had no idea how big the club was. I think given time Dean Smith will be a good manager for the club.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Welcome!

Always remember the 82 European Cup for my Villa memory, Nigel Spink coming on as a sub and saving everything and Peter Withe scoring the winner.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Villan
Jock Stein's Brasso dealer

Post by Villan »

Well, you are all epic so thank you. My wife was (literally) incredulous when she got home last night that I would even have considered joining another team's Forum. I expressed the view that I felt welcome and I really liked the people. "I thought you didn't like Leeds" she said. "Yes love, I said that was when the Villa were playing them of couyrse" I replied. Other than that fill yer boots United. I still cannot believe how epic the crowd was last Friday and now I find myself wanting to really watch your progress carefully. I had not realised that you lost a few recently but you are now on course - if the team and fans can give that 100% - to go straight up.

For the record, there are only two teams that I truly dislike. The first you won't be surprised to know is Small Heath, otherwise known as Birmingham City. The second, for many reasons, not least that my wife and I were set upon by at least 10 'fans' when we stuffed them in the League Cup Final at Wembley in the nineties - is Manchester United. I am sure Leeds fans won't mind that! Which team do Leeds least like to lose to?

It is my true hope that one day I get to Elland Road and if that happens I would very much like to share a pint with you chaps (and possibly chapesses?) and I will try to get a photo of us in the Villa programme.

Thanks for the nice words about the Villa - we have our idiots like every club but us Brummies in general have a great sense of humour (we support AV after all) and take to most people. I am very nervous as we have the second city derby this weekend. I grow horns about now and absolutely loathe the idea of even giving them a draw. Please PLEASE if there is a God - do not let us lose to THEM! Finally folks - your manager. He does make me laugh sitting on that bucket but who cares - it is results that matter.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Villan wrote:Which team do Leeds least like to lose to?
1. Man U
2. Chelsea
3. Cardiff / Millwall
4. Everyone else ..

.. 5. Villa ;)

I too remember the European Cup triumph and can name the team, same as I can name the Ipswich team of the same era you pipped to the post for the title. I vividly remember the final and watching it with my stepdad and how exciting it was at the time.

As for the derby : it's gonna be a stalemate.
Monk hates to lose, end of.
There's a piece in today's Guardian from Pep Clotet about how important set pieces are for them but I don't remember him pulling up any trees in that regard when he was with us.
I'm going for a boring 0-0. Lump on now.
ChilwellWhite
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by ChilwellWhite »

No problems with Villa for me a proper team, excellent ground and decent fans. Not a huge fan of Birmingham City too many run ins with them over the years. My earliest memories of Villa go back to the early 70’s, my claim to fame is I sat with Peter Withes mum and dad during my ground hopping days when Chris Withe was playing for Shrewsbury at Gay Meadow back in the mid 90’s, from memory a lovely couple who were equally proud of Chris as they were of Peter, proper parents ;)

Anyway stick around please as your posts thus far are quality.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Visited Villa Park on many occasions the first been in August 1975 for the seasons opener.
Was our first competitive game following the robbery in Paris.

We managed to win 2-1 with a brace from Peter Lorimer, big crowd possibly a sell out so the Holte end was an impressive site. We were obviously at the opposite end which if memory serves me right was Open back then (fortunately didn't rain).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Villan

Post by Villan »

Were you living in Shropshire at the time?
ChilwellWhite wrote:No problems with Villa for me a proper team, excellent ground and decent fans. Not a huge fan of Birmingham City too many run ins with them over the years. My earliest memories of Villa go back to the early 70’s, my claim to fame is I sat with Peter Withes mum and dad during my ground hopping days when Chris Withe was playing for Shrewsbury at Gay Meadow back in the mid 90’s, from memory a lovely couple who were equally proud of Chris as they were of Peter, proper parents ;)

Anyway stick around please as your posts thus far are quality.
Villan

Post by Villan »

Leeds away to Bristol City and Villa away to Small Heath this weekend. Two games that both teams must win for differing reasons. I predict that we both will. When that happens I shall combine my celebrations by running around the street in my 1982 Villa top shouting quotes from the Yorkshire vet, such as 'By Crikey we did it'. Watch this space fellow football brethren - it really is going to happen :-)
Nil desperandum