Sky Money This Season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Sky Money This Season

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

So far from the 18 games Sky have shown we have made a £1m.

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... v-15968584

With another 3 games also this figure will rise.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Sky Money This Season

Post by Selby White »

The reason we all know that Leeds are on more than others is viewing figures.

Would imagine when the Prems minor teams like Udders are on they'll be lucky to get half a dozen viewers.

The money split is a joke should be based on viewing figures and not which division you are in.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

As we all know its a shockingly small amount compared to the PL clubs
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:The reason we all know that Leeds are on more than others is viewing figures.

Would imagine when the Prems minor teams like Udders are on they'll be lucky to get half a dozen viewers.

The money split is a joke should be based on viewing figures and not which division you are in.
Probably everyone knew or knows this now anyway but when I heard from someone at the club that every Prem team receives more from one Sky game than we received all season, I was pretty shocked. It's pretty disgraceful and I'm not totally biased saying that as there are a couple of others teams in our division who attract miles more viewing figures than half the Prem. I do get that the Prem is a brand, a world famous product almost, which just makes Shaun Harvey and the FL's efforts at getting a more appropriate-sized slice of the Sky pie even more shameful.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:The reason we all know that Leeds are on more than others is viewing figures.

Probably everyone knew or knows this now anyway but when I heard from someone at the club that every Prem team receives more from one Sky game than we received all season, I was pretty shocked. It's pretty disgraceful and I'm not totally biased saying that as there are a couple of others teams in our division who attract miles more viewing figures than half the Prem. I do get that the Prem is a brand, a world famous product almost, which just makes Shaun Harvey and the FL's efforts at getting a more appropriate-sized slice of the Sky pie even more shameful.
The thing is that the Championship is the fourth most popular league or brand as you call it in the world, that in itself shows the astronomical support the clubs have in England yet Sky have basically ripped us a new hole and Sean Harvey was the lube so to speak. He has been basically fired over the controversy it has caused among the bigger teams in the division. Yes he is stepping down officially as we have been told but i suspect Mr. Harvey has his own bung involved after selling the rights so cheaply to dreadful Sky. The government should have stepped in or ofcom or whoever can stand up for peoples right's to watch sports. No one company should be allowed ownership of the rights and a certain percentage should be aired freely on terrestrial TV such as the BBC or ITV. No wonder we have a huge culture of streamers watching matches online for free when Sky are charging over the odds prices and their packages are not as good as they should be for all their channels.

Sorry i went off on that one. I just hate monopolies at play.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Spot on Corky think most will agree with you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Sorry but I think you're wrong. It's market forces and as we live in a capitalist society we can't complain about the mechanics, only the deal that was brokered for us. If we were in the top division we'd be saying the clubs lower down should've had a better negotiator. It's not the fact the money isn't there, it's more about who did the deal and for how much.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Yes those negotiating have made a joke of it.

We are talking TV here and those that command the higher audience should earn the most.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

rigger wrote:Sorry but I think you're wrong. It's market forces and as we live in a capitalist society we can't complain about the mechanics, only the deal that was brokered for us. If we were in the top division we'd be saying the clubs lower down should've had a better negotiator. It's not the fact the money isn't there, it's more about who did the deal and for how much.
Yep.

I watch most of my FL games quota on the Quest channel as highlights, and virtually all my Prem action, none of it live, on BBC's MOTD and MOTD2. Sky Sports have the rights because they outbid BBC, ITV, etc etc, it's a frustrating mess but not a monopoly.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
rigger wrote:Sorry but I think you're wrong. It's market forces and as we live in a capitalist society we can't complain about the mechanics, only the deal that was brokered for us. If we were in the top division we'd be saying the clubs lower down should've had a better negotiator. It's not the fact the money isn't there, it's more about who did the deal and for how much.
Yep.

I watch most of my FL games quota on the Quest channel as highlights, and virtually all my Prem action, none of it live, on BBC's MOTD and MOTD2. Sky Sports have the rights because they outbid BBC, ITV, etc etc, it's a frustrating mess but not a monopoly.
That's why i will always remain one of those who will watch Sky without paying for their overpriced Sky Channels.

I used to love watching Sky Football when it first appeared on our screens about twenty five years ago because it was exciting and a lot different. I understand why they can outprice everyone else. But to me they have went from taking over and basically adding so much money to the few and gave peanuts to the rest of the clubs in the country. Not only here but in Scotland where they only take care of Rangers and Celtic. They have a very astute market strategy and do it well. They own the rights to many other sports as well. It leaves those with little income to watch shall i say less interesting sports. Sky Broadcasting Company reflect what our politicians and countries are like they take care of the best and leave little for the mere peasants to enjoy.