Style vs Substance

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Fail honourably under Bielsa or lump it long and go up with Big Sam ?

Would you prefer to be promoted any which way with a manager playing percentage football ?
16%
Would you prefer to stick with the beautiful Bielsa-ball method and accept failure this season in the hope of more consistency and success next ?
84%

Total votes: 43

Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Style vs Substance

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:Not sure we should write Bamford off just yet, MB rates him given the fact you make that he didn't want a striker.
Remember a lot of our fans didn't like Chris Wood at the start of his Leeds career.

Someone mentioned the other day we need a Billy Sharp type, let's remind ourselves he scored 5 in 33 games when he was here.
I completely agree, Billy Sharp failed here, and the last thing we need is a return. MCCormack and Wood were both strikers who failed to make an impact in the first full season and then scored plenty in the next. The football we played then though was to route all attacks through the striker and Bielsa doesn't play that system. Bamford may be having a confidence wobble, especially as some of his shots are softer than expected. Last couple of games he could have scored a hattrick and the chip over the Birmingham goalie was unlucky to come out off the post rather than in. I do think MB will keep faith in him.

Let's not forget how well the under-23 squad have done, so we could see a few make the step up over the summer.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nic wrote:
Selby White wrote:Not sure we should write Bamford off just yet, MB rates him given the fact you make that he didn't want a striker.
Remember a lot of our fans didn't like Chris Wood at the start of his Leeds career.

Someone mentioned the other day we need a Billy Sharp type, let's remind ourselves he scored 5 in 33 games when he was here.
I completely agree, Billy Sharp failed here, and the last thing we need is a return. MCCormack and Wood were both strikers who failed to make an impact in the first full season and then scored plenty in the next. The football we played then though was to route all attacks through the striker and Bielsa doesn't play that system. Bamford may be having a confidence wobble, especially as some of his shots are softer than expected. Last couple of games he could have scored a hattrick and the chip over the Birmingham goalie was unlucky to come out off the post rather than in. I do think MB will keep faith in him.

Let's not forget how well the under-23 squad have done, so we could see a few make the step up over the summer.
Thats true :thumbup:

I really believe MB and his coaching team are more about building a team/club by improving players rather than flashing the cheque book at every hurdle. Sure we will spend occasionally on quality to strengthen the team (Kiko been the example) but the under the radar signings of quality youngsters with potential (and the attitude to learn) is the key to our future.

I firmly believe its the right way to go.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

It was a biased question, but that's because we've all been blown away by Bielsa so how could it be anything else ?

I am surprised Edmondson hasn't been given a go given how good (and big and strong) he looked pre-season and how well he's done for the 23s.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:The question is posed with a bias, however I definitely think style - great entertaining football. The team play as a team and bielsa didn't want a striker at christmas. Would people still want Bielsa if he doesn't want a big striker purchase over summer,, have mostly the same squad next year with a couple of additions none of which is a big league striker?
Not sure we should write Bamford off just yet, MB rates him given the fact you make that he didn't want a striker.

Half of those were as sub though. He didn't get a fair look-in here, I don't know why as when he played he worked his proverbials off. He's proven time and again that he's a proven striker IMO.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Nic wrote:The question is posed with a bias, however I definitely think style - great entertaining football. The team play as a team and bielsa didn't want a striker at christmas. Would people still want Bielsa if he doesn't want a big striker purchase over summer,, have mostly the same squad next year with a couple of additions none of which is a big league striker?
Not sure we should write Bamford off just yet, MB rates him given the fact you make that he didn't want a striker.

Half of those were as sub though. He didn't get a fair look-in here, I don't know why as when he played he worked his proverbials off. He's proven time and again that he's a proven striker IMO.
You are correct he did play half as sub, to be more precise he scored 4 from 17 games that he started and 1 in 16 from the bench.
Think the problem was we were playing with one up and it didn't suit his style, same season Antenucci had similar issue but better strike rate.

At times it was one from three and Morrison got the nod because of his work rate yet scored less often than the others, crazy :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Ah yes, we get Morison who according to Colin W would become a Leeds 'hero' while getting rid of Becchio... nothing dodgy about any of Warnock's deals :P
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

rigger wrote:It was a biased question, but that's because we've all been blown away by Bielsa so how could it be anything else ?

I am surprised Edmondson hasn't been given a go given how good (and big and strong) he looked pre-season and how well he's done for the 23s.
Definitely this Rigs.

Regardless of MB's (beautiful) style of football, a big man up front every now and then is still worth a punt, especially when he is showing Edmonson's touch too...

Can't help but think it would be perfect with all our possession in final 20 min's when nowt else has worked...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Exactly.

And nobody will know who he is either, so he could be our trump card on the run-in ...
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

rigger wrote:Exactly.

And nobody will know who he is either, so he could be our trump card on the run-in ...
Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a runner.

In todays press conference, MB said Bamford, Roofe and Roberts were ahead of him re experience...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I still think we missed out on Pulis. :D

Bielsa has been nothing short of a revelation for me. You have to say Monk steadied the ship, Thomas Christiansen, especially at the beginning of last season had me believing we could be on to something (even tho i fought his corner we can skip Paul Heckingbottom) and then, with the majority of the same players out of the shadows steps Mr Bielsa to give us some of our very best performances since the days of O' Leary.

We have a young vibrant side who will only get better with time, and we defo have the right coach to nurture them. Its was a small (massive) step backwards under Cellino and one giant leap forwards under Andrea Radrizzani.

You have to say on reflection appointing Bielsa was a masterstroke.