Who in the play offs ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Who in the play offs ?

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Selby White wrote:Hope Derby have a tough game and don't win against the Swans tonight. Another hard fought battle for them against the Baggies on Sunday with all to play for. Two highly competitive games could take its toll (injuries & maybe odd suspension).
Boro away at Rotherham on sunday but are missing three defenders in Ayala,Friend and Fry who are all out for the season.

Not sure if we would want them in the semi final but Derby wont be pushovers either.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:It doesn't really matter who we play. Match stats are already written in stone. Leeds = Possession 70%, Attempts on goal 25, Attempts on target 1, Goals scored NIL.
(Typed out while humming 'look on the brightside of life'.) :shock: :lol: (well you've got to laugh).

We've only failed to score once in 10 games against the 5 teams that will or could be in the play offs and that was a 0-0 draw against Boro back in August.

So hopefully you are totally wrong John and we will be playing the teams we can score against as already proved :D

Don't know if its correct but was told the other day we score more against top half teams than bottom half.
You make a good point SW. I think teams in the upper reaches of the league set themselves up to win. Teams in the lower reaches tend to park the bus. We don't seem to do well in breaking down packed defences. Top teams tend to allow us more space.
I once played against Don Revie.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Rustled Derby in January, rustled Aston Villa on Sunday. Need to complete the rustling job by beating the two in the semis and the final respectively.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:
Selby White wrote:
johnh wrote:It doesn't really matter who we play. Match stats are already written in stone. Leeds = Possession 70%, Attempts on goal 25, Attempts on target 1, Goals scored NIL.
(Typed out while humming 'look on the brightside of life'.) :shock: :lol: (well you've got to laugh).

We've only failed to score once in 10 games against the 5 teams that will or could be in the play offs and that was a 0-0 draw against Boro back in August.

So hopefully you are totally wrong John and we will be playing the teams we can score against as already proved :D

Don't know if its correct but was told the other day we score more against top half teams than bottom half.
You make a good point SW. I think teams in the upper reaches of the league set themselves up to win. Teams in the lower reaches tend to park the bus. We don't seem to do well in breaking down packed defences. Top teams tend to allow us more space.
Think that is spot on John, some our best performances of the season have come away at places like Norwich and Derby.
Against the other 7 teams in the top 8 we have accumulated 27 points from the 14 matches almost 2 per game average.
We have a far lower average against the teams not in contention :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Emley White
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by Emley White »

We haven't lost to any of the potential opponents as yet so I don't mind who we play. I'd really like Derby to blow it tonight and Sunday and end up not making it it as their fans hate us so much. I hope to goodness we don't end up playing on the Wednesday for the second leg as that's my Quiz night and I wouldn't be able to concentrate to present it with one eye on the game. Saturday - Tuesday would be just perfect and a place in the final even better. I believe we can do it with a little luck and last Sunday's level of performance, come on Leeds!!
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Looks like Boro, then...
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

3 Leeds Utd 45 83
4 West Bromwich 45 80
5 Aston Villa 45 76
6 Derby County 45 71
7 Middlesbrough 45 70
8 Bristol City 45 69

Final day matches
Sun 5 Aston Villa - Norwich City
Sun 5 Derby County - West Bromwich
Sun 5 Hull City - Bristol City
Sun 5 Ipswich Town - Leeds Utd
Sun 5 Rotherham - Middlesbrough
Wigan White
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Wigan White »

Is there anyone out there thinking like me, that it will be Leeds v West Brom in the final at Wembley?

Everyone seems to think it will be Villa.