Who in the play offs ?

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Who in the play offs ?

Post by Selby White »

Well with one match to go we could still play a number of teams in the play off semi.

If as should :shh: happen we finish third it could be either Derby, Boro or Bristol City.
If the last day goes silly we could end up 4th and get Villa.

So 3 questions :-

1. Who would you choose to play ?

2. Who do you think we will play ?

3. Which of the possible teams do you want to most avoid ?

For Me -

1. Would not be worried about facing Bristol.

2. Think it'll be Derby as they have two to play but both tough ones so nothing cert.

3. Not sure why but don't want to play Boro.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Who in the play offs ?

Post by Barlow Boy »

It could be a relatively short thread this, if Derby win tonight that’s pretty much it due to goal difference, although, mathematically, we could still finish 4th.

Funnily enough, Derby would be the team I’d have liked to avoid. All the ‘spy gate’ rubbish will get brought up again and it would be typical Leeds to go out against them.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

1. I would choose Boro because I think they're the weakest of the possible sides left and the most predictable

2. Pretty sure it'll be Derby

3. I don't want to face Bristol City because a good mate supports them and one of us would be disappointed. I spoke to him about watching the game together if it got that far and he said he would on condition that whoever gets to Wembley takes the other one and they have to support the team that wins, no matter what.

I can't tell you what I said next but he burst out laughing before I'd finished because he was only joking :D
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

1. Derby - I know previous games don't count in the play-offs, but we have proved we can score against them. I think any repercussions from Spygate were mostly swatted away when we last played them.

2. Looks like Derby

3. Boro - Don't see us scoring against them.

Extra: Bristol City are still an unknown quantity, even though we know them pretty well :?: :crazy: . They blow so hot and cold, just don't know what your gonna face.
Villa best team left in it, but I think we can muster as much 'revenge' thoughts as they can from last weekend, so that bit doesn't worry me.
WBA, like Bristol City, which team will show up? If their strikers have a good day, both legs could be over in one match, but...
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Personally I'm not fussed who we play. Before playing Villa I would have wanted to avoid them due to their recent consistent form. If we could somehow suddenly hit a purple patch in front of goal they will all want to avoid playing Leeds.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

It doesn't really matter who we play. Match stats are already written in stone. Leeds = Possession 70%, Attempts on goal 25, Attempts on target 1, Goals scored NIL.
(Typed out while humming 'look on the brightside of life'.) :shock: :lol: (well you've got to laugh).
I once played against Don Revie.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

johnh wrote:It doesn't really matter who we play. Match stats are already written in stone. Leeds = Possession 70%, Attempts on goal 25, Attempts on target 1, Goals scored NIL.
(Typed out while humming 'look on the brightside of life'.) :shock: :lol: (well you've got to laugh).

We've only failed to score once in 10 games against the 5 teams that will or could be in the play offs and that was a 0-0 draw against Boro back in August.

So hopefully you are totally wrong John and we will be playing the teams we can score against as already proved :D

Don't know if its correct but was told the other day we score more against top half teams than bottom half.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Re play off semi finals. Been made aware that it is not definite that if #lufc finish the season in 3rd that they will play first the following Saturday. Police & safety issues have to be taken into account along with rivalries which could mean the 4th v 5th game plays first.

That of course has knock on effects for the 2nd leg which the first tie plays on Tuesday & the second tie on the Wednesday. FL say they will try to finalise details ASAP once the teams are known after Sunday’s conclusion to the regular campaign after speaking to relevant parties
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:Re play off semi finals. Been made aware that it is not definite that if #lufc finish the season in 3rd that they will play first the following Saturday. Police & safety issues have to be taken into account along with rivalries which could mean the 4th v 5th game plays first.

That of course has knock on effects for the 2nd leg which the first tie plays on Tuesday & the second tie on the Wednesday. FL say they will try to finalise details ASAP once the teams are known after Sunday’s conclusion to the regular campaign after speaking to relevant parties
Thanks SL for update, sort of expected it if West Brom play Villa.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Hope Derby have a tough game and don't win against the Swans tonight. Another hard fought battle for them against the Baggies on Sunday with all to play for. Two highly competitive games could take its toll (injuries & maybe odd suspension).