A pre-emptive strike at the moaners ..

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: A pre-emptive strike at the moaners ..

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Just to add that Huddersfield were promoted through the play-offs.... and is it right that they didn't actually score a goal in open play in any of the matches? Nah, that can't be right, surely!
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Another Northern Soul wrote:Just to add that Huddersfield were promoted through the play-offs.... and is it right that they didn't actually score a goal in open play in any of the matches? Nah, that can't be right, surely!
I remember the final ended 0-0. So just looked it up the only goal they got was a Tom Lees own goal when playing Wednesday!! LOL
In their last 10 games of the normal season they W3D1L6 including losing the last two games and finished with a GD of -2. Probably most of their fans did not expect to go up.

So even if we lose against Ipsit...Ishwi...Ipss... and end up 4th, could beat Villa over two legs and be in a final with WBA/Derby
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

rigger wrote:Now, call me cynical but I have a sneaky feeling we won't actually be promoted this season.

Why, I hear you ask ?

Well, we have a terrible record in the play-offs for one.
Bielsa's teams "fall apart after Christmas" for two.
Because "we're Leeds" for three ..

I could go on, but the odds aren't in our favour either, given it's a one in four on a purely mathematical basis and also the third placed teams rarely go up .. ever.

However, I want to categorically state for the record, for posterity and for the love of all things holy that this has been a MONUMENTAL SEASON .. a TRIUMPH .. a FOOTBALL FIESTA .. a pure JOY from start to finish and I include all the draws and losses when I say that.
You have to feel pain to know pleasure and I haven't felt as much pleasure from being a Leeds fan for twenty years.

Marcelo Bielsa is an amazing human being and I absolutely love that man with all my heart.
What he's done with a very average, very mid-table squad is nothing short of astonishing.
He cut ties with several players even before pre-season training started - some of whom most of us would've kept as being central to any success we may have managed this season.
He's moulded and reshaped the majority of others into fine footballers and amazing athletes with stamina, commitment, tactical awareness and a team spirit the likes of which we haven't seen since the Revie era - the size of the squad is pretty similar too.
At the same time, he's cherry-picked some ripe fruit from the academy sides and not been afraid to thrust them into the limelight.

To a man, they've played the Bielsa way and it's been glorious. Spectacular. Incredible. Tear-jerkingly pride-inducing, progressive, tiki-taka Champions League football in the Second Division.

In short, I've loved this season.
If anyone comes in here to moan and bleat and cast negativity on what has been a revelatory first term under President Bielsa, then all I can say is I feel sorry for you. If you can't take joy from 2018/19 then you should probably forget about football altogether.
Very well said!
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I don't think there'll be many disagreeing with you on this forum Rigger. It has been a very enjoyable season without doubt, whatever happens in the play-offs.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Strange thoughts but I actually find the Premier League boring compared to the Championship.

Reckon before a ball is kicked and we all were asked to name the top 6 we would all name the same 6 teams.
Probably not far away with the bottom 6 also its only the middle bit that's interesting.

The Championship is far more unpredictable and fun to watch.

Saying all that I really want us back up there and playing the elite every week.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Selby White wrote:Strange thoughts but I actually find the Premier League boring compared to the Championship.

Reckon before a ball is kicked and we all were asked to name the top 6 we would all name the same 6 teams.
Probably not far away with the bottom 6 also its only the middle bit that's interesting.

The Championship is far more unpredictable and fun to watch.

Saying all that I really want us back up there and playing the elite every week.
Well, not EVERY week SW. You can hardly class: Watford, Bournemouth, Southampton and Brighton as 'the elite'. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Selby White wrote:Strange thoughts but I actually find the Premier League boring compared to the Championship...
I haven't watched a full 90 PL minutes in several years. Just holds no interest for me anymore.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

rigger wrote:
I could go on, but the odds aren't in our favour either, given it's a one in four on a purely mathematical basis and also the third placed teams rarely go up .. ever.
Really? ........... In the past eleven seasons the team finishing third has been promoted six times
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I meant overall, so it would be the fourth placed team in div's two and three, though now you've quoted that figure I think I'm the only div :)
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

rigger wrote:I meant overall, so it would be the fourth placed team in div's two and three, though now you've quoted that figure I think I'm the only div :)
:D

My figures are only for the Championship, so the overall numbers may be much lower :thumbup: