A pre-emptive strike at the moaners ..

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
mattant250
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: A pre-emptive strike at the moaners ..

Post by mattant250 »

Have been lurking for a long time, but I felt that this was the post I had to make my comeback for (more than anything, Rigger knows how much I enjoy his posts ;) )

I agree with the grand majority of your points, and I absolutely love the positive vibe on this forum - it is something that is very hard to come by nowadays. I do have my reservations though.

First of all, Bielsa is a god. I, much like Rigger, adore the man and think he is an absolute genius. This rhetoric that his teams burn out after Christmas is completely misinterpreted. His style is so high-tempo, his demands from his players are so intense, players need time to get used to him. The first season is difficult, but it was difficult for Liverpool under Klopp, who demands a similar amount of intensity. In fact, 3 years on, and Liverpool are only just enjoying the result of his set-up. It's not burn-out, it's adaptation.

During this season, we have had more highs than we have had in the last 15 years put together. For that, we must recognise Bielsa's achievements, and of course, the players' efforts. The tactics, the way we play - it is magnificent. And once we find our feet with that intensity sustained during a whole season, it will come up trumps.

That being said, I think it is only normal to feel somewhat frustrated. The achievement has been excellent, but given the amount of time we have been longing for some progress, to get such a huge dose of progress before Christmas, and then watch the wheels fall off - it is frustrating. That doesn't take away from what I said above - I get it, I'm not blaming anyone per se, but it hurts.

But it's not the missing out on promotion that hurts - for me, it is the fear of a missed opportunity. I share Rigger's view that we won't get promoted this year. Aside from his arguments, we are currently not in the right place to be promoted, I think it's too soon. This year is a wonderful achievement, but we need to build on this and we need to improve, because there are areas of this team which are sorely lacking. My concern is that either we will lose Bielsa or we will not build on our achievements. Call me pessimistic, but I'm not sure I remember Leeds building on any success in my 20-odd years of supporting them. That's the one thing that's jarring with me at the moment. The fear of it being a one-off. This season has been fantastic, but I want to get used to this, not look back and think how great 2018/2019 was...
MARCHING ON TOGETHER
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

mattant250 wrote:...During this season, we have had more highs than we have had in the last 15 years put together...
And for me, those highs have been higher (if that makes sense)
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

The highs have been higher because of expectation. If we had brought in 5 new class signing last summer the expectation would have been high, but with largely the same squad, or smaller as some were farmed out on loan, most peoples expectation would have been a gradual improvement on last year.

As its largely the same squad, the frailties showed and we would lose some matches we should have won, and we got injuries as normal. The highs were high because its the same squad so you would be brought down to earth when we lost but at other times put on blinding performances. The team played as a team and when it all worked we put on some dazzling displays in front of a packed out crowd. We stutterd, but then did teams around us, and being constantly in the top 4 perpetuated the vision.

How well we do in the play offs will largely depend on which Leeds team turns out. If its to be the championship next year, so be it. Many fans will have greater expectations for next year, but it could be a long summer. If MB stays do we get players in early enough to learn the bielsa way, or aim to do our usual last minute deals.
kk white

Post by kk white »

For me, the highs are higher because the style of football has been brilliant.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
mapperleywhite

Post by mapperleywhite »

Got to admit to feeling a little flat, it's a feeling that's been there since the Wigan game, ie automatic slipped away.

I totally agree with the sentiment of this thread, ie if we'd known we'd finish third back in August we'd have taken it even without witnessing some exhilerating football we've enjoyed. And the development of players like Phillips, Cooper and you could argue Klich, Roofe and Dallas has been something to behold. Wow I still remember the joy and excitement of the 1-4 win at Derby, my heart still pounding for a long time after it finished!

So much promise then, that has flickered at times since Christmas (WBA H, Wendies H) but ultimately floundered on defeats against low placed clubs - QPR A, aformentioned Wigan H and Ipswich A today. Nine points from those games would have seen us up.

It's clear other teams know that if we don't score we're vulnerable, eg where was Dallas (nominal left back) when Ipswich scored their second today??

The posession and goal attempts statistics tell a story. Time to mix it up a bit for the play-offs?
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The season is over. We've limped into the play-offs. Maybe some possibilities ahead but no moaning about anything from me. I have no extectation from here on in.

I'm happy where we have ended up considering that in August last year I thought we'd do well to match the previous season's position and (I know it looks stupid now :roll: ) I was one of those who were unsure about Marcelo Bielsa.

We are Leeds United. If there is a hard way to do it noboby does it like Leeds as the old song goes.

Then there is Summer break and we go again in August.

It's never just a game but life goes on.
Keep The Faith / WAL
EastYorkie
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by EastYorkie »

The season has been successful - it might even end up very successful ..... (fingers crossed)

But there are some realities that should have been learnt along the way and the club will have to deal with them no matter what happens in the next couple of weeks. This is just my opinion but Bielsa's style of football is great attacking wise when it works but it doesn't always work. It can be very easy to defend against and then get breakaway goals and lose matches. Putting aside stupid person ups like Ipswichs third goal yesterday. If opposing teams set up a zonal defence with eight men in it and leave two strong running forwards up front then we can't break them down and as our defence gets pushed up then a breakaway leaves us wide open - happened on a number of occasions this year.

Bielsa's style works well against the better teams who are prepared to take the game to you and it leaves space for us to work with but with a well disciplined defensive set up, our midfield and attacking players are just a bit short on the intelligence and skill to break it down. We need really quality players in this scenario.

Our defensive structure is too open generally which becomes a problem when you can't score at the other end. Some of our players just lack that little bit of quality required to get us automatic promotion. The squad generally needs improving if we are to go up and stay up - Wolves are the team to try and emulate in that respect.

So whilst its been a major improvement - there is still work to be more done. Bielsa will have learned along the way what is needed in terms of players to get promoted. If he keeps to his style then Leeds need a handful of better players to really make it work in the Championship. At the moment the squad is nowhere near good enough for the Premier League, week in week out.

If we do get promoted then the squad needs a major overhaul and that will be expensive. If we stay in the Championship then teams now know what to expect from Bielsas Leeds and that in itself will make it tougher next year. Whatever happens in the next few weeks then Leeds and Bielsa will still have to learn from problems this year and adapt. IMO that probably means Bielsa has to adapt his style somewhat to make us more solid at the back.
johnnysmiles
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by johnnysmiles »

Nice post Rigger... I've enjoyed the season massively.... but will still feel sad if we miss out...

For those that think all our problems would be solved by a decent striker, I would argue that the problem is a little deeper than that.... the stats suggest we dominate possession and register a lot of attempts on goal, but lately I've had the feeling that few of these chances are very clear-cut... we don't really cut teams open as much as earlier in the season... and I would argue that we need a better Harrison and an in-form Jack Clarke.... one on each side who can take on the full back and get to the by-line before laying it on a plate for Roofe / Bamford.... Alioski's good but he never goes past his man...
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

EastYorkie wrote:The season has been successful - it might even end up very successful ..... (fingers crossed)

But there are some realities that should have been learnt along the way and the club will have to deal with them no matter what happens in the next couple of weeks. This is just my opinion but Bielsa's style of football is great attacking wise when it works but it doesn't always work. It can be very easy to defend against and then get breakaway goals and lose matches. Putting aside stupid person ups like Ipswichs third goal yesterday. If opposing teams set up a zonal defence with eight men in it and leave two strong running forwards up front then we can't break them down and as our defence gets pushed up then a breakaway leaves us wide open - happened on a number of occasions this year.

Bielsa's style works well against the better teams who are prepared to take the game to you and it leaves space for us to work with but with a well disciplined defensive set up, our midfield and attacking players are just a bit short on the intelligence and skill to break it down. We need really quality players in this scenario.

Our defensive structure is too open generally which becomes a problem when you can't score at the other end. Some of our players just lack that little bit of quality required to get us automatic promotion. The squad generally needs improving if we are to go up and stay up - Wolves are the team to try and emulate in that respect.

So whilst its been a major improvement - there is still work to be more done. Bielsa will have learned along the way what is needed in terms of players to get promoted. If he keeps to his style then Leeds need a handful of better players to really make it work in the Championship. At the moment the squad is nowhere near good enough for the Premier League, week in week out.

If we do get promoted then the squad needs a major overhaul and that will be expensive. If we stay in the Championship then teams now know what to expect from Bielsas Leeds and that in itself will make it tougher next year. Whatever happens in the next few weeks then Leeds and Bielsa will still have to learn from problems this year and adapt. IMO that probably means Bielsa has to adapt his style somewhat to make us more solid at the back.
Are you my Doppelganger? :D Cracking post from my perspective. :thumbup:

I concur with the sentiments regards the game against Wigan. It was all there for the taking, yet we somehow couldn't find the key. Being in such a strong position, and with the prize (financially) being so great, i'm still a bit baffled why in January we didn't gamble on a few more players to push us on and give MB more options, particularly up front which may have got us over the line. MB as stated that he as taken this team to its limits so AR & CO are going to have to build next season anyway?

I have enjoyed this season immensely. MB as stoked the fire, its over to AR to provide the coal in the summer.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’m not sure I’d go with the season being successful, great or a triumph unless we go up, as the ultimate goal of promotion will not have been achieved.

That said, I worked out earlier this season that I have not missed a home game for around 8 seasons, and only a handful of home games in 10 years and I can honestly (although unsurprisingly) say, I have enjoyed this season more than any other over that period.

The standard of football played, the great games (I’ll never forget the atmosphere when Roofe scored twice against Blackburn in injury time) and a coach in charge who has very, very quickly become an icon for Leeds will long live in the memory.

It’s gutting we’ve not gone up automatically to make it a successful season, but a win at Wembley could change that and make it a great season and a huge triumph.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.