Bielsa Stay or Go

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Will Marcelo be here at the start of next season

Poll ended at 23 May 2019, 15:26

Yes
87%
No
13%

Total votes: 76

isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Bielsa Stay or Go

Post by isrodger »

SG90 wrote:
isrodger wrote:He will stay if Radz gets his wallet out. He needs to buy into the concept of losing £39m over 3 seasons, or he will never get the £200m prize. If that’s the case Maybe he should consider punting the club to his Qatari mates.

We need a striker, a winger, a number 10, centre back, possibly left back and keeper. Maybe one of those will emerge from the academy, regardless a player of the calibre of Dan James/ Ryan Kent; Dwight Galé / Ched Adams is required along with a Saiz replacement. It is also essential the like of Philips, Shackleton and Clarke are retained.

If Bielsa goes then I’m pretty sure it will be down to funding, and we will be back to square 1.
Most clubs in this league are in financial chaos and are unable to spend otherwise they will hit ffp. We're in the strongest position, as we haven't relied on loans unlike the other playoff contenders. We don't need to spend £50m. We've got the nucleus here already, just 3/4 more. Without the worst injury luck in years, we'd have gone up comfortably.

Imo, what we require is genuine pace. Bielsa's Marseille team for example were loaded with pace to break away. Apart from Shackleton, we don't seem to have outright pace in the team. That was one of the things Saiz used to bring to the team and we suffered for it since he left. The club wanting James, showed we were interested in pace. If we had got Barnes on loan instead of WBA, we'd have won the league comfortably.
Totally agree with you however fact is we didn’t get Barnes or james, had we done we probably would have been promoted. I’m pretty sure Bielsa will put Radz balls in a vice before committing. Hopefully part of him staying will be the retention of Philips shack & Clarke. I fear Jansson will leave ... which I think would be a bad call... why ? He is one of the top 6 centre backs in the league & the one weakness in Bielsa’s thinking is the physicality required defensively in the championship.
MOT1964
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by MOT1964 »

https://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/ ... -1-9785068

Leeds United have reached a decisive stage of talks over Marcelo Bielsa’s future at the club, according to chairman Andrea Radrizzani.

United’s majority shareholder said he expected a decision over whether Bielsa would remain as head coach to be reached in the “next few days” with the club’s option to retain him due to expire at the end of the month.

Leeds intend to renew Bielsa’s contact for a second season and have been in talks with the Argentinian over their plans for next term for much of the past week.

The two sides reached a gentleman’s agreement when Bielsa took the job last summer that he would be allowed to depart if he no longer felt happy to remain in the post.

Sources close to the 63-year-old, however, have told the YEP that Bielsa is determined to have a second go at winning promotion following the club’s defeat in the Championship play-offs.

The former Argentina coach made a huge impression in his first year in England, taking Leeds from a mid-table finish in 2018 to contention for automatic promotion.

Speaking to Talksport, Radrizzani said: “We have a chance to keep him. We’ll see. The next few days will be decisive and we’ll make an announcement. We’ll see in the next few days.

“We have an option until the end of the month, we’re talking to him and we have a few things to clarify. Then, after, we’ll make public our decision.”

Radrizzani attempted to dismiss the suggestion that he might be tempted to sell the club after failing to steer Leeds back into the Premier League.

The Italian bought United in 2017 and had been in control of the club for the past two seasons but he relinquished a stake to the investment arm of the San Francisco 49ers last summer in return for £11m.

Radrizzani said: “I’m here and I hope we get there one day and I’m here until that day because I really want to enjoy it with the fans.

“I’ll start to play when we go up. At the moment I’m just observing football.”
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

Leeds hold an option to extend the contract for another season and have held talks with the Argentine over the past week.

Radrizzani has previously spoken about his confidence of retain Bielsa, but gave an update on Thursday morning regarding the current status of the talks.

Leeds hold an option to extend the contract for another season and have held talks with the Argentine over the past week.

Radrizzani has previously spoken about his confidence of retain Bielsa, but gave an update on Thursday morning regarding the current status of the talks.

“We have an option until the end of the month, we’re talking to him and we have a few things to clarify. Then, after, we’ll make public our decision.”

That gives Leeds eight days to reach an agreement with the 63-year-old, who has previously said that he will review the proposal Leeds present him with, given that there is a gentleman's agreement between the two parties that if Bielsa does not want to continue in the role, the club will not stand in his way.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by DominanceUK »

It looks increasingly likely that MB will stay which will be massive but until it's announced I will remain slightly nervous about it, I mean, it is Leeds United after all!
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

DominanceUK wrote:It looks increasingly likely that MB will stay which will be massive but until it's announced I will remain slightly nervous about it, I mean, it is Leeds United after all!
Nothing is certain in this world. It seems to me like the longer it is left the more chance of it not happening i.e. Marcelo staying.

It's hard to tell but my feeling is that Marcelo enjoyed last season although we missed out. We were perhaps 3 or 4 players short the season just gone. I am not convinced that things will be that much better squad next season although some youngsters might come through. That said we might lose the same from those players that we'd rather keep.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Judging by the latest club tweet, looks like he’s staying.

Great news :clap: :clap: :clap:
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Barlow Boy wrote:Judging by the latest club tweet, looks like he’s staying.

Hope you right :thumbup:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

Barlow Boy wrote:Judging by the latest club tweet, looks like he’s staying.

Doesn’t that translate to come on Leeds feck
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

White smoke :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Now confirmed, contract extended until the end of next season.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.