2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
DominanceUK
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by DominanceUK »

phil62 wrote:Personally, I'd sell Phillips if it was 20m or more. I'd happily swap him for 2 x 10m players - one to replace him and a decent striker. I'd prefer it if it was Clarke because I believe he is overrated, but if it means bolstering the squad with a new striker I'd go for it. Phillips has had one good season - it could easily go tits up next year - he's not Billy Bremner.

We had Phillips this year and we didn't make it.

Also, I'm a bit bemused by the criticism of Bamford and the implication that he has been a failure. He played half the season after two bad injuries and still weighed in with a decent number of goals. I think he'll be a key player for us next year as Woods was on his second season.

Opinions?
I'm not of the opinion that he's a bad player, Phil but he doesn't suit our style. We need someone to harass the defenders and run the channels, Bamford, imo, is more of a number 10 rather than a number 9.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Barlow Boy wrote:In front of the back four, Forshaw is very good, but when we played him further up field he was anonymous.

A lot will depend on the Phillips situation, we lose him and Forshaw could becomes an important player for us.
Forshaw in front of the back four is OK to a point IMHO. He has has his lapses playing there which last season caused problems for the back line. Put Cooper in the vicinity and without a proper left back we have a vulnerable look. Barry Douglas might have come to us on a free and with a big reputation but I reckon we got shortchanged.

We did very well last season but we really need strenghtening throughout the team.

If Philllips is shipped out we are going to need better that Forshaw I'm afraid
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

For me we need two players for every position and that's why we should keep both Phillips and Forshaw.
Agree Forshaw is not the answer further forward in our midfield.
Disagree about Douglas think he will be a big player for us this season. Will add I do like Alioski at LB but again great to have good competition for places.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:For me we need two players for every position and that's why we should keep both Phillips and Forshaw.
Disagree about Douglas think he will be a big player for us this season. Will add I do like Alioski at LB but again great to have good competition for places.
We do but we also need to generate funds to get real quality in our first 11, therefore Dallas & Forshaw might need to be offloaded allowing possibly berardi or Shackleton to understudy for Philips.

Our real need is to recruit top quality wide men / forwards. All managers have a blind spot player and last year I felt Bielsas was Harrison. Hopefully we recruit significantly better than him. Costa, Kent (who appears to have turned us down) would certainly be big improvements.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:
Selby White wrote:For me we need two players for every position and that's why we should keep both Phillips and Forshaw.
We do but we also need to generate funds to get real quality in our first 11, therefore Dallas & Forshaw might need to be offloaded allowing possibly berardi or Shackleton to understudy for Philips.

Our real need is to recruit top quality wide men / forwards. All managers have a blind spot player and last year I felt Bielsas was Harrison. Hopefully we recruit significantly better than him. Costa, Kent (who appears to have turned us down) would certainly be big improvements.
Costa has genuine pace which tends to be effective at Championship level. Was once told on a coaching course the average Championship player is over 5% slower than the average Prem player which makes sense to me.

I don't see Shackleton as cover for Phillips but more as an option in the Klich position. So again one place I'm happy with the options.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

For me it's Pablo that needs replacing, not Harrison. I say that with reluctance because of how good he's been for us but I think in truth last season was one of good moments here and there from him rather consistent good performances, and I just don't think he's got the physicality you need anymore. I'd still want him in the squad but not necessarily as a starter. Harrison, on the other hand, got better as the season went on and was definitely one of our best players in the play off games. I'd like to see him retained but of course would like to see more quality in the squad generally.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Costy wrote:For me it's Pablo that needs replacing, not Harrison. I say that with reluctance because of how good he's been for us but I think in truth last season was one of good moments here and there from him rather consistent good performances, and I just don't think he's got the physicality you need anymore. I'd still want him in the squad but not necessarily as a starter. Harrison, on the other hand, got better as the season went on and was definitely one of our best players in the play off games. I'd like to see him retained but of course would like to see more quality in the squad generally.
Not for me Pablo scores and creates he needs to start.
However take your point and should choose his matches and be prepared to rest him occasionally. At times such as xmas/Easter when we have a few games close together.

Harrison improved as the season progressed and would expect him to produce much more in his 2nd season at this level.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:
Costy wrote:For me it's Pablo that needs replacing, not Harrison. I say that with reluctance because of how good he's been for us but I think in truth last season was one of good moments here and there from him rather consistent good performances, and I just don't think he's got the physicality you need anymore. I'd still want him in the squad but not necessarily as a starter. Harrison, on the other hand, got better as the season went on and was definitely one of our best players in the play off games. I'd like to see him retained but of course would like to see more quality in the squad generally.
Not for me Pablo scores and creates he needs to start.
However take your point and should choose his matches and be prepared to rest him occasionally. At times such as xmas/Easter when we have a few games close together.

Harrison improved as the season progressed and would expect him to produce much more in his 2nd season at this level.
I think you’ve got to plan for pablo playing 30 games a season. He needs a player like Saiz taking the pressure of him to create. He certainly disappeared the last 6 games of the season, hiding in my view, dropping deeper and deeper spraying ‘Hollywood balls’ rather than playing in the last quarter where we needed him.

As for Harrison, I’m not saying he is not useful, however I never recall a whole stand rising to their feet when he got the ball like when Clarke came on prior to Xmas. I’m sick of our wide men being the likes of hardworking Dallas & Harrison, we need a couple of players who terrify the fullbacks, as Clarke has the potential to do.

It’s also a big season for Roberts, from an injury and development perspective, I would hope him, Clarke and Shackleton will make 1st team places their own, with the likes of Diaz and Bogusz getting in and around the 1st eleven, possibly replacing Klich, who for some reason I expect to fall away this season.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

isrodger wrote:
rigger wrote:
isrodger wrote:From what we gather Orta identities all potential recruits, and in the category of say centre forwards 3 or 4 are put forward. A number of options of no 10s and wingers were put forward ... Bielsa reject all options bar 1 .. James who they had been tracking since September.
How can you possibly know that ?
What's your source of information ?

"From what we gather .."
Who's we in that statement ??

This isn't me needling you : I genuinely want to know because it's the first I've heard of all this.
Just journalistic licence and social media waffle isn't it ??
Orta did a lengthy Q&A session on the recruitment strategy & basically that’s how the process works... it’s common with most clubs. The DOF and recruitment team will have various players identified for each position and various stages of development. He then “identifies them for the manager” who has the final yes or no.

In terms of the two positions Bielsa wanted to recruit for ... it was widely reported ... the most reliable source being Phil Hay.

Conversely it was widely acknowledged that the wider management team felt we needed a centre half in the summer, Bielsa refused to sanction the acquisition.

All the above is in the public domain without needing inside knowledge.
Heard this a number of times too. Orta has team give a list of players and MB has final say. Think thi sis quite common practice these days tbh.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:
It’s also a big season for Roberts, from an injury and development perspective, I would hope him, Clarke and Shackleton will make 1st team places their own, with the likes of Diaz and Bogusz getting in and around the 1st eleven, possibly replacing Klich, who for some reason I expect to fall away this season.
Absolutely agree with regards to Roberts would love to see him produce what he looks capable of. Think its easy to forget he is still only 20 as he was our big signing 2 years ago.

As said earlier i see Shackleton as the Klich replacement at some stage.

So if we still have Phillips and Forshaw to cover defensive midfield and follow the theme of two for each position we need 6 players to cover the wing/no10 positions.
I'd say Pablo, Clarke, Roberts and possibly Harrison maybe 4 of them but in my eyes we still need two more. Possibly Costa will be one of them, but that still leaves a place. Maybe someone from the development squad can fill the gap. Actually Malik Wilks may save us some cash, was fantastic for Donny and feel he will step up to this level.