2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by johnh »

Barlow Boy wrote:
rigger wrote: On another note, anyone else feeling old after looking at Eddie's photos today - he looks about 13!!
I have a glance at the programme in the Pavilion before the games, and the players have their dates of births next to their names, they are generally in the 90’s and even some in the noughties.

Having been born in 1971, that definitely makes me feel old.
Oy! BB, my youngest was born in 1971. :D
I once played against Don Revie.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

johnh wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
rigger wrote: On another note, anyone else feeling old after looking at Eddie's photos today - he looks about 13!!
I have a glance at the programme in the Pavilion before the games, and the players have their dates of births next to their names, they are generally in the 90’s and even some in the noughties.

Having been born in 1971, that definitely makes me feel old.
Oy! BB, my youngest was born in 1971. :D
Hands up who knew that was coming. :lol: :lol: :D :angel:
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

Quite a coincidence that the banner as I type is the player I want to mention - Kalvin Phillips. So happy he's staying as he's pivotal to our system. I must say I don't like him playing at centre back as it diminishes our midfield so much.

Feel rather more comfortable about our prospects this season....Bielsa's staying, KP's staying, Pat Bam has started scoring goals, Pablo's on fire, at the top of the table....
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

superfox wrote:Looking at the rivals, it's astonishing how many players Fulham, Stoke and West Brom got in - they certainly mean business.
Luckily that means nothing in this division, and I have some doubts about Parker or Bilic as managers, still it will be a very tough season.
On paper they should walk the division ... however we’ve got bielsa. I just fear strength of squads will eventually tell as last season. Fulham probably after sacking Parker.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:
On paper they should walk the division ... however we’ve got bielsa. I just fear strength of squads will eventually tell as last season. Fulham probably after sacking Parker.
Paper means nothing, don't believe for one minute any of us thought Norwich or Sheff Utd had the strongest squads at start of last season.
Teamwork and confidence are just as important as having the so called best individuals.
Then of course the other factor "Luck" will play its part.

Personally believe 8 or 9 teams with a shout, we are one of them :D
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Shadwell White
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by Shadwell White »

This new kid from arsenal is scary, he has pace to burn, strong and knows where the back of the net is. Hernandez, Eddie N, Harrison, Clarke, Bamford and Costa, that’s a forward line, bring it on.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote:
Paper means nothing, don't believe for one minute any of us thought Norwich or Sheff Utd had the strongest squads at start of last season.
Teamwork and confidence are just as important as having the so called best individuals.

I wish it was 2-3 teams in with a shout and we were one of them :D, This division is the most difficult to predict to be fair, Since we got back into the Championship there has rarely been a team that went onto walk the league or take ownership of the league from the start of every season, except for Wolves who also stuttered along until the final two months and then hit another level after that.

We have conducted our transfer business deals as have all others, I believe Fulham FC are a good side and have the potential to challenge but in truth, they barely made it up two years ago and they have sold a few influential players i believe this summer. Parker is somewhat new to management so it could all go pear shaped or work out wonderfully in a lower league than the premiership. Some managers are just Championship managers and not Premiership managers, Take a look at Colin from Cardiff, great at getting teams promoted to the Premiership but absolute shocking once there. Players find their levels and so do managers. We have bielsa and he has shown he is definitely a championship manager and has the experience of doing well in a higher league also. So he is a +1 for the team possibly a +2 bonus for the team.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

CorkWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:Paper means nothing, don't believe for one minute any of us thought Norwich or Sheff Utd had the strongest squads at start of last season.

I wish it was 2-3 teams in with a shout and we were one of them :D, This division is the most difficult to predict to be fair, Since we got back into the Championship there has rarely been a team that went onto walk the league or take ownership of the league from the start of every season, except for Wolves who also stuttered along until the final two months and then hit another level after that.
Surely if you think about it, being one of 8 or 9 will be a better season, I mean at the start of last season we were similar as hoping to just squeeze into play-offs and it was a thriller of a season. If it were just 2-3 sides then the other games would matter a lot less and it would be concentrating on the few head to head games.

I suppose many just want to see us promoted, but it's the challenge and uncertainty that excites. If you were given the option of sleeping for 9-10 months and awaking to see us promoted (by whichever route) or living the season but no guarantee of if we'd make it, what would you choose?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nic wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:
Selby White wrote:Paper means nothing, don't believe for one minute any of us thought Norwich or Sheff Utd had the strongest squads at start of last season.

Surely if you think about it, being one of 8 or 9 will be a better season, I mean at the start of last season we were similar as hoping to just squeeze into play-offs and it was a thriller of a season. If it were just 2-3 sides then the other games would matter a lot less and it would be concentrating on the few head to head games.

I suppose many just want to see us promoted, but it's the challenge and uncertainty that excites. If you were given the option of sleeping for 9-10 months and awaking to see us promoted (by whichever route) or living the season but no guarantee of if we'd make it, what would you choose?
Think you are correct and although we all want promotion in lots of ways this division is far more interesting and exciting from a competive view.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Shadwell White wrote:This new kid from arsenal is scary, he has pace to burn, strong and knows where the back of the net is. Hernandez, Eddie N, Harrison, Clarke, Bamford and Costa, that’s a forward line, bring it on.
That pace could prove to be a winner. Last season one of the biggest reasons we didn't get promoted was we struggled against the lower teams.
These teams often packed their defence and played on the break.

Pace could just be the key in these games.