2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Sniffer »

phil62 wrote:If we need to raise cash then I would sell Roofe (not good enough) and Clarke (overrated and seemingly attracting a large fee). I hope Casilla stays and I'm with Bielsa - I rate Bamford and could see him scoring 20+ next season, no problem. We need a good winger, another centre back and a creative player to lighten the load for Pablo (Saiz back would be fine with me - he is a quality player). We played some amazing football last season and I see no reason for that to change - we just need to be more clinical in front of goal - it was this that cost us in spite of dominating possession in virtually every game.

Mightily relieved Marcelo is staying though - most important signing of the lot.
Twitter rumours here in Bristol have Bristol City offering £5mill for Kemar.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Sniffer wrote:
phil62 wrote:If we need to raise cash then I would sell Roofe (not good enough) and Clarke (overrated and seemingly attracting a large fee). I hope Casilla stays and I'm with Bielsa - I rate Bamford and could see him scoring 20+ next season, no problem. We need a good winger, another centre back and a creative player to lighten the load for Pablo (Saiz back would be fine with me - he is a quality player). We played some amazing football last season and I see no reason for that to change - we just need to be more clinical in front of goal - it was this that cost us in spite of dominating possession in virtually every game.

Mightily relieved Marcelo is staying though - most important signing of the lot.
Twitter rumours here in Bristol have Bristol City offering £5mill for Kemar.
Push that up to £8m and I'd let him go. I'm still not convinced he's exactly what we need - not quite a no.10, not quite a winger, not quite (but maybe) a second striker, and defs not a no.9. Seems like he'd be a fool to leave for Bristol City though.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

Roofe scored 14 goals during his 21 first league matches this season. Until beginning of January he was almost too good for Championship and there were obviusely some interest from better teams. In hindsight we should've sold him in January, cause he only scored 1 goal (against Derby) in the 12 last games he played and he's not as "hot" now. In January we could've got 10 million, for sure. Now? 5-8 probably.

Don't get me wrong, he is a good player and his movement and constant chasing is amazing. But I don't think he's ever gonna be a 20+ goal scorer at this level. I think he would be at his best with a partner up front, but Bielsa will never play with two strikers at the same time and Roofe is not a great winger or attacking midfielder.
DominanceUK

Post by DominanceUK »

I wouldn't sell Roofe, he was fantastic for us prior to getting injured, if he stays injury free all season he could score 20+ for us, easily imo. I'd rather sell Bamford than Roofe and we could possibly get more money for the former too.
Sniffer

Post by Sniffer »

I wouldn't sell either, to be honest, unless we get better players in. Roofe could have got 20+ this season if he hadn't been injured. And hopefully Pat Bamford has suffered the same first season malaise as McCormack and Wood. He is clearly a decent striker, he just needs fine-tuning.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

Roofe only has a year left on his contract and is pushing for a big new contract. Could we get more that £5m with just a year left, probably not. I doubt he would get much use in the PL so if we gave a high value contract extension we'd end up with a player may then not get a look in once we go up. A sale would allow £50k pw wage on each of two loans from PL clubs.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Nic wrote:Roofe only has a year left on his contract and is pushing for a big new contract. Could we get more that £5m with just a year left, probably not. I doubt he would get much use in the PL so if we gave a high value contract extension we'd end up with a player may then not get a look in once we go up. A sale would allow £50k pw wage on each of two loans from PL clubs.
You make a good point, and there probably lies a dilemma. Probably the only 3 players that would make the cut in the PL assuming they progress, are Shackleton, Philips and Clarke. For that reason I believe they are the key players to retain. If Roofe’s demands are excessive I’d probably accept £4m plus for the player, failing there being that level of offer it maybe we choose to retain his services a la Beckford....If we go up the likelihood is we could renegotiate.

As regards the wider issue...If you look at the squad Bielsa started with last season, we have lost Viera, Saiz and Baker. In January we attempted to recruit a pacy winger and flirted with the idea of a replacement #10 for Saiz & Baker. Those are essential purchases. Given our ‘conversion rate’ it’s also clear we need a striker who would ‘guarantee’ us 20 plus goals next season. I firmly believe we lack a physical presence @ centre back although I’m pretty sure Bielsa will refuse to recognise the issue. That lack of height could be compensated by a keeper of the physical stature of Blackman. Do we stick or Twist with Casillas.... I wouldn’t be surprised if we are back in for Angus Gunn if we can offload Kiko relatively painlessly.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Polkadot »

isrodger wrote:
Nic wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if we are back in for Angus Gunn if we can offload Kiko relatively painlessly.
Southampton payed 10m last summer and he played 11 of the last 12 matches of the season. No way he would drop to Championship now.

I think it will be either Kiko or BPF for us next season.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Polkadot wrote:
isrodger wrote:
Nic wrote:I wouldn’t be surprised if we are back in for Angus Gunn if we can offload Kiko relatively painlessly.
Southampton payed 10m last summer and he played 11 of the last 12 matches of the season. No way he would drop to Championship now.

I think it will be either Kiko or BPF for us next season.
You may be right, got 3 good keepers there in Foster, McCarthy & Gunn, similar to Burnley, with Heaton, Pope & Hart. I worry about both our keepers for different reasons.
white viz
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by white viz »

Would Adrian who has been released by West Ham be a good call to replace Kiko