2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by isrodger »

CorkWhite wrote:As others have mentioned we need to balance the books and that is understandable considering we have raised a lot of wages over the past 2 years and some are on long contracts too.

Talk of getting rid of the deadwood is something of a thorn in every club, but, we as a club have a lot of players who Bielsa loaned out last season in the hope of raising their potential or raise their value to sell. basically putting them in the shop window. I think some of those players will be sold off cheaply just so we can get our wage structure back on track.

This is not easy to do as some of these players won't want to leave as they won't be offered wages like they are on now unless they are motivated by resurrecting their careers at a lower league and in fairness some of them will do easily enough.

Not all the players we see as deadwood are deadwood, as i often said before that there are only some players who can raise their game at Elland road and for Leeds United while others balk at the chances they get. Our system might not suit them, they may have issues with other players or the coaching staff, they may even feel intimidated psychologically by our faithful and vociferous fans as we are every game. Either way I would hope more energy is put into selling off those who can be sold and release those who cant or loan them out again as we do need to shore up the gaps for a major signing to come in which will eat up most of all those deadwood players wages in one go.

On another point are Leeds United merchandising making any money? With our level of support worldwide i would of hoped to see a huge upturn in merchandising sales over the past few seasons and in turn this could be a huge benefit to the first team recruitment.... I haven't seen any facts or figures mentioned or i simply missed them all if posted. Not sure how it all works in this regard. Were too huge a club to be scraping the barrel if I'm totally honest.
Selling a player to pay for loans; same number 2s different owner, Bates with a smile - we will see, irrespective feels like another short term decision from the owner, and potentially demonstrates issues with his and the clubs cash flow.

As regards the Merchandising, I know it was / is in a rude state of health. To put things in perspective (these numbers are from a few years ago) the Mega store at Man Utd turns over circa £10m ours does about £7m - at the time we benefited as a result of being the one shop in town for shirts however that performance is off the Richter scale in comparison to other championship clubs. Things may have changed slightly in the past 5 years but as regards merchandising revenue we are in the top half of the premiership.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Sorry I’d keep Bamford. Everyone usually has a bad first season at the club & then takes it by storm. I give you

Chris Wood
Kemar Roofe
Mateuz Klich
Liam Cooper

Stick with the lad he’ll come good ;)
Winner of the Europa League
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Seeing Clarke go is deeply saddening, but he was probably the loss that would impact us the least. Phillips, Jansson and Roofe are all vitally important to how we play, and losing them would have had far more of an impact. Clarke is just an impact player, presently. In a similar fashion to how Vieira was not a starter so, perhaps, someone easier to lose. In terms of the fee, £10m rising to £12-15m is a decent amount for a player with few starts. It's sad to see him go, but it's hardly losing Byram, Cook and Taylor. They were all, arguably, the best players at the club at the times of their departure. Clarke is just a top prospect yet to truly show his starting quality. Right now, it is simply a necessity that we must sell someone, sadly. It seems that all the clubs in the Championship are struggling financially to some degree currently, so relying on loan really isn't that bad. We just need to make sure we get the best loans available.

Of course, we could argue that we have plenty of deadwood we can offload to finance new signings before Clarke; but we wouldn't draw in the same amounts from them, and most would just be a case of getting them off the wage bill. Plus, it may take longer for us to offload all of them across the window, damaging our opportunities for bringing in signings early on to be here for pre season. So losing Clarke now may have to be the price for bringing in signings early. I expect Harrison and White will join next week and Costa shortly after that. The 3rd winger, hopefully Kent, may take slightly longer, but we have options in the mean time. In an ideal world, we'll be able to field this team on the opening day, all of whom will have played a part in a large amount of pre season:
------------------Casilla
Ayling---Jansson---Cooper---Alioski
------------------Phillips
Costa---Hernandez---Klich---Roberts
-------------------Roofe
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
damols13
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by damols13 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Sorry I’d keep Bamford. Everyone usually has a bad first season at the club & then takes it by storm. I give you

Chris Wood
Kemar Roofe
Mateuz Klich
Liam Cooper

Stick with the lad he’ll come good ;)
I agree!

the thing is though he didn't even have a 'bad' season statistically - yeah he missed a few big chances but his mins/goal ratio was still pretty decent. I remember somebody putting together a video clip of big misses by Pukki and Bamford from 8 consecutive games and Pukki was more wasteful.

Its just that he was getting 5 or 6 of these type of chances on average per game Vs the 2 or 3 Bamford was getting so the extra goals he bagged therefore masked these figures.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

isrodger wrote:
CorkWhite wrote:As others have mentioned we need to balance the books and that is understandable considering we have raised a lot of wages over the past 2 years and some are on long contracts too.

Talk of getting rid of the deadwood is something of a thorn in every club, but, we as a club have a lot of players who Bielsa loaned out last season in the hope of raising their potential or raise their value to sell. basically putting them in the shop window. I think some of those players will be sold off cheaply just so we can get our wage structure back on track.

This is not easy to do as some of these players won't want to leave as they won't be offered wages like they are on now unless they are motivated by resurrecting their careers at a lower league and in fairness some of them will do easily enough.

Not all the players we see as deadwood are deadwood, as i often said before that there are only some players who can raise their game at Elland road and for Leeds United while others balk at the chances they get. Our system might not suit them, they may have issues with other players or the coaching staff, they may even feel intimidated psychologically by our faithful and vociferous fans as we are every game. Either way I would hope more energy is put into selling off those who can be sold and release those who cant or loan them out again as we do need to shore up the gaps for a major signing to come in which will eat up most of all those deadwood players wages in one go.

On another point are Leeds United merchandising making any money? With our level of support worldwide i would of hoped to see a huge upturn in merchandising sales over the past few seasons and in turn this could be a huge benefit to the first team recruitment.... I haven't seen any facts or figures mentioned or i simply missed them all if posted. Not sure how it all works in this regard. Were too huge a club to be scraping the barrel if I'm totally honest.
Selling a player to pay for loans; same number 2s different owner, Bates with a smile - we will see, irrespective feels like another short term decision from the owner, and potentially demonstrates issues with his and the clubs cash flow.

As regards the Merchandising, I know it was / is in a rude state of health. To put things in perspective (these numbers are from a few years ago) the Mega store at Man Utd turns over circa £10m ours does about £7m - at the time we benefited as a result of being the one shop in town for shirts however that performance is off the Richter scale in comparison to other championship clubs. Things may have changed slightly in the past 5 years but as regards merchandising revenue we are in the top half of the premiership.
You could see how much of a factor loans were in the teams by promotion rivals last year. So selling to get a few loan players may be short term, but if its enough to get us up, then worth it. For one it means we can get players we can't afford to buy and secondly when we go up do we want players on longer contracts who might not be good enough for the PL?
TezzaWazzaBazza
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by TezzaWazzaBazza »

Loan players seem to be almost essential to promotion. Every decision is a risk, living with uncertainty is a fact of life.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

The person to blame is the one who thought giving 4 year contracts to Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane, Dallas, Buoy, Anita, De Bock etc was a good idea, meaning we're stuck with them on the wage bill for the next two years. The recruitment over the last two years has been shocking and a complete waste of money, which has left us needing to sell our top talents on the cheap to cover it. Watch Radz blame ffp, when he's the one who pushed the wage bill up and wasted money on poor signings.

Spending £10m on loan fees is very poor business and short termist. How about we keep money so we don't need to flog Shack on the cheap next summer.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

SG90 wrote:The person to blame is the one who thought giving 4 year contracts to Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane, Dallas, Buoy, Anita, De Bock etc was a good idea, meaning we're stuck with them on the wage bill for the next two years. The recruitment over the last two years has been shocking and a complete waste of money, which has left us needing to sell our top talents on the cheap to cover it. Watch Radz blame ffp, when he's the one who pushed the wage bill up and wasted money on poor signings.

Spending £10m on loan fees is very poor business and short termist. How about we keep money so we don't need to flog Shack on the cheap next summer.
So spending money on loan players is short termist and signing on 4 year contracts is also bad..... :shock:
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

Nic wrote:
SG90 wrote:The person to blame is the one who thought giving 4 year contracts to Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane, Dallas, Buoy, Anita, De Bock etc was a good idea, meaning we're stuck with them on the wage bill for the next two years. The recruitment over the last two years has been shocking and a complete waste of money, which has left us needing to sell our top talents on the cheap to cover it. Watch Radz blame ffp, when he's the one who pushed the wage bill up and wasted money on poor signings.

So spending money on loan players is short termist and signing on 4 year contracts is also bad..... :shock:
No giving 4 year contracts to squad players was wrong.

So if we spend the Clarke money on loans and don't go up, we're £10m down with nothing to show for it, plus we lose Bielsa, Roofe, Kilch, Pablo (all ooc) and probably Jansson and Phillips too.

If we're going to spend £10m, spend it on actual players not loan fees.