2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by isrodger »

TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:Loan players seem to be almost essential to promotion. Every decision is a risk, living with uncertainty is a fact of life.

Might be however our (Orta / Radz) loans were largely rubbish. Only Harrison who isn’t in Clarke’s class could called a success last season. Pennington, Cameron Brothwick & lassggo before :thumbdown:

In fact our transfer dealings full stop, are really poor.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

https://www.teamtalk.com/news/barnsley- ... -young-duo
Halme and Wilks likely to go out on loan once we have one or two in (so White and Harrison).
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

isrodger wrote:
TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:Loan players seem to be almost essential to promotion. Every decision is a risk, living with uncertainty is a fact of life.

Might be however our (Orta / Radz) loans were largely rubbish. Only Harrison who isn’t in Clarke’s class could called a success last season. Pennington, Cameron Brothwick & lassggo before :thumbdown:

In fact our transfer dealings full stop, are really poor.
I have a feeling they will (some would say could only) improve. I'm pretty sure MB will have a bit of input into who we go for. Even if it's only to the same extent of previous managers which as I say I doubt, how much more faith do I have with his input than say I did with Heckingbottom or Monk and I wasn't anti Monk while he was here.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
SG90
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by SG90 »

We won't sign anyone, or announce any signings, until Monday, as the 18/19 accounts run until 30/06. It's why the Clarke sale was rushed/cheap, as it will go into the 18/19 accounts, given we lost £15m.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Will we see Izzy Brown for another season ? #askingforafriend
Winner of the Europa League
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Since Radz/Orta came in, we've only made 3 good signings, Klich, Alioski and Saiz, and we'll probably make a loss on Saiz given the desperation to sell him. I'll give the benefit to Bamford and Douglas as they've had injuries, but how much money have we wasted on recruitment and loans in 2 years? Instead of selling our young talent on the cheap, maybe question the recruitment and stop wasting money.
SCOTTISH LEEDS

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Will we see Izzy Brown for another season ? #askingforafriend
Doubt it as if FFL get the Chelsea job Brown must have a chance to be in the 1st team squad along with a few others who have been out on loan given Chelsea's transfer ban.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

SG90 wrote:
Nic wrote:
SG90 wrote:The person to blame is the one who thought giving 4 year contracts to Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane, Dallas, Buoy, Anita, De Bock etc was a good idea, meaning we're stuck with them on the wage bill for the next two years. The recruitment over the last two years has been shocking and a complete waste of money, which has left us needing to sell our top talents on the cheap to cover it. Watch Radz blame ffp, when he's the one who pushed the wage bill up and wasted money on poor signings.

Spending £10m on loan fees is very poor business and short termist. How about we keep money so we don't need to flog Shack on the cheap next summer.
So spending money on loan players is short termist and signing on 4 year contracts is also bad..... :shock:
No giving 4 year contracts to squad players was wrong.

So if we spend the Clarke money on loans and don't go up, we're £10m down with nothing to show for it, plus we lose Bielsa, Roofe, Kilch, Pablo (all ooc) and probably Jansson and Phillips too.

If we're going to spend £10m, spend it on actual players not loan fees.
Let's say we spent the £10m on one player, including wages - then if we don't go up we have renegotiate the contracts of players OOC and considering we are losing money each season I can see a few of them going and not replaced or replaced cheaply and we become a team once again finishing mid table and hoping to sneak into the play-offs.

The way the club is getting funded, like 49er sale, etc, then can't see us able to push into play-offs season after season. I'd rather the money spent on 3-4 loan players to boost our chances as if we don't go up, Bielsa and several players will leave, we won't be able to afford to keep them.
SG90

Post by SG90 »

Nic wrote:
SG90 wrote:
Nic wrote:
SG90 wrote:The person to blame is the one who thought giving 4 year contracts to Cooper, Ayling, O'Kane, Dallas, Buoy, Anita, De Bock etc was a good idea, meaning we're stuck with them on the wage bill for the next two years. The recruitment over the last two years has been shocking and a complete waste of money, which has left us needing to sell our top talents on the cheap to cover it. Watch Radz blame ffp, when he's the one who pushed the wage bill up and wasted money on poor signings.

Spending £10m on loan fees is very poor business and short termist. How about we keep money so we don't need to flog Shack on the cheap next summer.
So spending money on loan players is short termist and signing on 4 year contracts is also bad..... :shock:
No giving 4 year contracts to squad players was wrong.

So if we spend the Clarke money on loans and don't go up, we're £10m down with nothing to show for it, plus we lose Bielsa, Roofe, Kilch, Pablo (all ooc) and probably Jansson and Phillips too.

If we're going to spend £10m, spend it on actual players not loan fees.
Let's say we spent the £10m on one player, including wages - then if we don't go up we have renegotiate the contracts of players OOC and considering we are losing money each season I can see a few of them going and not replaced or replaced cheaply and we become a team once again finishing mid table and hoping to sneak into the play-offs.

The way the club is getting funded, like 49er sale, etc, then can't see us able to push into play-offs season after season. I'd rather the money spent on 3-4 loan players to boost our chances as if we don't go up, Bielsa and several players will leave, we won't be able to afford to keep them.
You don't have to spend it all on one player. Klich £1.5m, Saiz £3m, Jansson £3.5m, Wood £3m etc that's what smart scouting and recruitment gets you. Spending £10m on a player who had a few good games in the Championship is bad management.

If we don't own our best players, then we won't be able to raise funds to sell if we don't go up. Look at Derby for example, they've lost their 3 best players with nothing to show for it.

I don't mind a loan if they're the calibre of Costa, but not Chelski or Man City reserves. We've got our own youth, who I'd rather we played and developed.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

SG90 wrote:We won't sign anyone, or announce any signings, until Monday, as the 18/19 accounts run until 30/06. It's why the Clarke sale was rushed/cheap, as it will go into the 18/19 accounts, given we lost £15m.
I suspect you may be right but .... why the big issue Re the loss ... it’s occurred it would only be an issue to the club should we potentially be likely to breach FFP which were well within the boundaries off. AGAIN... a decision that makes absolutely no sense. We scrambled around to try and juggle cash flow in January which cost us dearly and were making the same mistake again.