2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by johnh »

HalifaxWhite wrote:Having said all of that Bielsa could probably make me a decent footballer so there's always that to consider. He really is the best manager we have ever had. To get this team playing as well as we do considering previous seasons with pretty much the same team.
'He really is the best manager we have ever had'. I think you need to qualify this statement by adding the word 'since'. I guess that there would be at least 3 names to follow.
I once played against Don Revie.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Winner of the Europa League
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Obviously Don Revie was the original and in most people's eyes the best ... if Don Revie was alive and well today and in his managerial prime, I wouldn't swap; I think like most professions, it has evolved - Don was light years ahead with his dossiers, team bonding, extra training and man management, but IMO, he wouldn't cut it quite so much in this era. Don Revie had way better players though ... imagine a Sniffer in Bielsa's team! I don't think we've ever had it so good in terms of Manager. Appreciate this could easily look very stupid if we don't win promotion and also in a year's time if we go straight back down.
Leicester White

HalifaxWhite wrote:I am confused by the Costa deal. I thought it was if/when we go up? We are by no means up yet. What if we choke and are 16 million down with Costa?!
Also JKA.

I see a situation when we go up, we have to pay for JKA and have spent on Costa. We declare we can't afford White or a new striker... straight back down we would go.

We need the following:
Striker - high level so cost at least 15 mil
Harrison permanent - 10 mil I've heard
Pablo replacement - 20 mil
White permanent 20-30 mil
Back up CB 10 mil

That is a lot of investment. Feel free to correct me but I don't see how we can't establish ourselves in a similar way to Sheff it's without those players. I know they didn't buy many but they didn't have a tiny squad full of holes like ours.

Sheffield United spent the best part of that last season - https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sheffie ... verein/350 - I watched Berge the other day and he looked great value at £20m. Finding a striker who'll get a dozen goals in the premiership for close to £15m is going to be a big ask. I agree with your list - on the finance side of things, if we're bringing in 2 or 3 players we should be able to raise some money selling 2 or 3 players.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leicester White wrote:Obviously Don Revie was the original and in most people's eyes the best ... if Don Revie was alive and well today and in his managerial prime, I wouldn't swap; I think like most professions, it has evolved - Don was light years ahead with his dossiers, team bonding, extra training and man management, but IMO, he wouldn't cut it quite so much in this era. Don Revie had way better players though ... imagine a Sniffer in Bielsa's team! I don't think we've ever had it so good in terms of Manager. Appreciate this could easily look very stupid if we don't win promotion and also in a year's time if we go straight back down.
Difficult to compare eras because everything is different. The technology available is light years ahead for a start, sports science, nutrition knowledge, etc.
Add hours of matches and players filmed from every angle.
All you can be is the best in your era but I think people like the Don would make full use of the tools available in any era.
I think both Marcelo and Don are very similar in that they are deep thinkers, dedicated and would both make the most of the players they have in any era and deal with the rules put in front of them.
Its very much a different game but the best would still be the best.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
Leicester White wrote:Obviously Don Revie was the original and in most people's eyes the best ... if Don Revie was alive and well today and in his managerial prime, I wouldn't swap; I think like most professions, it has evolved - Don was light years ahead with his dossiers, team bonding, extra training and man management, but IMO, he wouldn't cut it quite so much in this era. Don Revie had way better players though ... imagine a Sniffer in Bielsa's team! I don't think we've ever had it so good in terms of Manager. Appreciate this could easily look very stupid if we don't win promotion and also in a year's time if we go straight back down.
Difficult to compare eras because everything is different. The technology available is light years ahead for a start, sports science, nutrition knowledge, etc.
All you can be is the best in your era but I think people like the Don would make full use of the tools available in any era.
I think both Marcelo and Don are very similar in that they are deep thinkers, dedicated and would both make the most of the players they have in any era and deal with the rules put in front of them.

Yep, right on.

What IS easy to compare is the Honours List and trophy cabinet, and with no disrespect at all to Bielsa, there is nothing in either as yet. Revie practically built this club, Bielsa is re-building it and doing a good job but let's get promoted first before we start any comparisons :D
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Selby White wrote:

Yep, right on.

What IS easy to compare is the Honours List and trophy cabinet, and with no disrespect at all to Bielsa, there is nothing in either as yet. Revie practically built this club, Bielsa is re-building it and doing a good job but let's get promoted first before we start any comparisons :D
And MB would need 13 years here to properly compare. Great fun to do it, but sooooo many variables.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
Leicester White

Agree with all the above. Now 13 years of Bielsa at Leeds, that would be interesting! :-)
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leicester White wrote:Agree with all the above. Now 13 years of Bielsa at Leeds, that would be interesting! :-)
Can't argue with that :thumbup:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

rigger wrote:Coach, maybe, but never manager. That will always be the Don. We were the best team in the world for five or six years in the late 60s/early 70s.

... and I include Brazil in that.
I hope you're wrong.

Not in an attempt to disrespect Don Revie. He is held in such high regard at Leeds for very good reason. Because he built the club to be the size it is today!

I hope you're wrong because it means that Leeds have another successful era winning silverware and playing in Europe.