2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Otherworld »

Austin91 wrote:Love Pablo, but does anyone feel like (Beside the obvious needless extensions to bit part / low quality players *cough*o'Kane*cough*) we give out WAY too long contracts?

2 year for pablo, he'll be 37 when it's over.
4.5 years for Klich, will be 34/35 when it's over

Not saying we shouldnt have kept the players, but surely tying in aging players to such long contracts doesnt make sense
I wouldn’t be surprised if Pablo has a future at the club in a coaching capacity. Imagine what he’s been learning from MB over the last year or so, especially as a native Spanish speaker too...
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Austin91 wrote:Love Pablo, but does anyone feel like (Beside the obvious needless extensions to bit part / low quality players *cough*o'Kane*cough*) we give out WAY too long contracts?
Agree to a certain extent, but the club are also protected with longer contracts should the player want to leave or be subject to a bid from another club.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Agree to a certain extent, but the club are also protected with longer contracts should the player want to leave or be subject to a bid from another club.
Not much point offering anyone a one year extension. We're all kind of experts on this sort of thing ever since Ridsdale's antics in being like Santa on happy pills with big new contract awards but one thing I know for certain is that I'd rather have a contented squad than disgruntled. I am quite sure as well that Bielsa will not allow any Leeds players to be complacent or to think they have even nearly completed the challenge that's in hand, to get promotion.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I am jumping the gun and firing into space, but could it be?? that the succession of new contracts being offered have been given the green light by our future owners? We do seem to be brandishing the contracts around at the moment, and if we don't go up, and with the £15 mill owed for Costa, it does seem a heck of a lot of financial commitment for a team in the Championship with a owner who has so far been prudent?
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I am jumping the gun and firing into space, but could it be?? that the succession of new contracts being offered have been given the green light by our future owners? We do seem to be brandishing the contracts around at the moment, and if we don't go up, and with the £15 mill owed for Costa, it does seem a heck of a lot of financial commitment for a team in the Championship with a owner who has so far been prudent?
This isn't meant to sound critical but why are folk seeing new contracts as some sort of massive increase in expenditure, I don't get it? While they're a Leeds player then we pay them a wage, is anyone aware of the pay terms and if there is even an increase?
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

2 year for pablo, he'll be 37 when it's over.
4.5 years for Klich, will be 34/35 when it's over

Not saying we shouldnt have kept the players, but surely tying in aging players to such long contracts doesnt make sense
I agree totally in one respect, and have posted something similar on several occasions. However, taking a contrarian view, there may be a number of reasons why I can see why these deals have been done, as it’s all about the next 6 months, not the long term future of the club. Why?

1. Getting promoted from championship, particularly at a club like Leeds is a double edged sword for the players, the positive Is a £500k bonus, the downside for the likes of Stuart Dallas, is they’re likely to be surplus to requirements at the biggest club they will ever play for, once promotion is achieved. The players will know this more than anybody, they need to be totally motivated to retain focus on the task in hand, and therefore there was / is a need their egos to be massaged to believe they have a long term future at the club.

2. For similar reasons; Radz recognises it’s number 2s or bust for him. He knows needs the players to be totally motivated for the next 6 months to make project Leeds really work for him. We go up and he ‘kerchings’ for £150m plus an earn out; if we don’t and .... he sells to the highest bidder, for a good £50m less; either way he doesn’t pick up the bill for dispensing with ‘premiership dead wood‘.

If neither of the above 2 options are available and he can’t sell, sadly I suspect we are back to square one. He attempts to sell Philips for £30m and does a sale and lease back on the ground, he faces a few years being viewed as ‘Bates with a smile’ until another chap with not quite enough money comes along as our new saviour!

Add QSI to the mix and the stakes are higher. The earn out gets bigger, and realistically maybe only Philips and White would be retained? In short without the present day staff performing and being fully motivated Radz, ours and QSIs plans would be scuppered for another season.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I am jumping the gun and firing into space, but could it be?? that the succession of new contracts being offered have been given the green light by our future owners? We do seem to be brandishing the contracts around at the moment, and if we don't go up, and with the £15 mill owed for Costa, it does seem a heck of a lot of financial commitment for a team in the Championship with a owner who has so far been prudent?
This isn't meant to sound critical but why are folk seeing new contracts as some sort of massive increase in expenditure, I don't get it? While they're a Leeds player then we pay them a wage, is anyone aware of the pay terms and if there is even an increase?
I find it unlikely anyone would sign a new contract without even a slight wage increase? (Who knows) My thinking is that if we don't go up again this season, then we have rewarded half the team with 4 year contracts for failure to achieve the clubs goal. Without Bielsa at the helm i'm not sure we will see any improvement from any of the players signed. And i'm not sure there is much resale value on any of our players other than KP. It could end up being a costly mistake for AR, but a drop in the ocean for QSI.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
I find it unlikely anyone would sign a new contract without even a slight wage increase? (Who knows) My thinking is that if we don't go up again this season, then we have rewarded half the team with 4 year contracts for failure to achieve the clubs goal. Without Bielsa at the helm i'm not sure we will see any improvement from any of the players signed. And i'm not sure there is much resale value on any of our players other than KP. It could end up being a costly mistake for AR, but a drop in the ocean for QSI.
None of us know the terms of the contracts but plenty are making assumptions, the sort of assumptions that lead to insinuations that Radrizzani is tight or skint or both and then slating him for being too generous with new contracts. This isn't a dig at anyone here (I've seen some whopper comments on Twitter :lol: ) just that some people are so quick to accuse or criticise that they're confused at what it is they want to slag him for. It's fine criticising some of the current squad but fair dos, the players awarded new contracts are either great prospects or they're doing a good job. Okay, some need to improve but form is temporary and class permanent, I think we're in a good position at the moment and certain players are doing us proud. We're lucky to have PH and I hope he can stay on longer, as someone said already, to help with coaching etc.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

It's a rock and a hard place type of situation as regards the awarding of long contracts or not. Do nothing and there is criticism and go longer term and still get it in the neck. It is however a case of balance. Get that one wrong and we all take a stumble. I quess you just have to trust the judgement of others and hope! :?
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

PhoenixUnited wrote:It's a rock and a hard place type of situation as regards the awarding of long contracts or not. Do nothing and there is criticism and go longer term and still get it in the neck. It is however a case of balance. Get that one wrong and we all take a stumble. I quess you just have to trust the judgement of others and hope! :?
Yes, and remember it's not Ridsdale and also 'know our place':lol: