2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by johnh »

Davycc wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
We definitely need additions, particularly up front.
Speak for yourself, I'm doing the the 5 & 2 diet to get rid of additions up front :thumbup:

PS. 1st 2lbs off since Jan 3rd

Davy, is that 5 pints and two packets of crisps?
I once played against Don Revie.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

johnh wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
We definitely need additions, particularly up front.
Speak for yourself, I'm doing the the 5 & 2 diet to get rid of additions up front :thumbup:

PS. 1st 2lbs off since Jan 3rd

Davy, is that 5 pints and two packets of crisps?
If only that worked John :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

Big rumours floating around about Phillips currently with Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich, Southampton and Wolves all linked. I've seen fees of 14-20m mentioned in some articles.

Phillips had a wonderful season and has been a real favourite over the year with some commanding performances, but.........20m is some figure for a defensive midfielder with one good season behind him. I know he's still young and will undoubtedly get better, but DM is a position I think we can pick up someone not too far from the quality of Phillips and for much less. 20m would quite possibly allow to completely forget about FFP and make a real go in the market with possibly 20-30m invested.

Thoughts? I imagine this is going to split opinions...
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

14 million is a lot ,
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

sgt_pooly wrote:Big rumours floating around about Phillips currently with Villa, Bournemouth, Norwich, Southampton and Wolves all linked. I've seen fees of 14-20m mentioned in some articles.

Phillips had a wonderful season and has been a real favourite over the year with some commanding performances, but.........20m is some figure for a defensive midfielder with one good season behind him. I know he's still young and will undoubtedly get better, but DM is a position I think we can pick up someone not too far from the quality of Phillips and for much less. 20m would quite possibly allow to completely forget about FFP and make a real go in the market with possibly 20-30m invested.

Thoughts? I imagine this is going to split opinions...
Philips, Shackleton and Clarke are the future of the club and are the only players who could make the transition to the premiership. (Possibly Jannson) Their sales in my view would be a retrograde step,if we’re serious about progressing as a club we must hold on to our best talent.

That said unless investment is sourced from external sources, Radz is going to want to find £20m to plug the a £10m cash flow hole and pay 3 / 4 times £2 to £3m loan fees. Sadly I fear it’s inevitable, one or more will be sold dependent upon the fee offered, regardless of wether the player pushes for a move or not.

In terms of FFP - we are nowhere near breaching the limits permissible, mooted investment in the team could be achieved without sale of our prime playing assets.
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

The money is good ofcourse. But the thing is that he is so imporatant to our core. If we had Vieira then the loss would not be so big. But this will leave huge hole in the middle of Bielsa system. This money can bring in good name and player, but it will take time to get use to Bielsa system and game. The failiure % would be too high in my opinion.

He is more than best player for Bielsa, he has Leeds blood.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

Daz5 wrote:14 million is a lot ,
Not enough in this case for me and certainly in this market. If you think that the Kelly lad from Bristol went for 13m, it's just not a realsitic fee for a player like Phillips. I really hope the club doesn't under-value Phillips and suspect they won't if you think that Viera went 7m.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Not sure it's a shock that a few Prem Clubs are showing interest in Phillips, can't blame them he's a good player. That isn't confirmation we will sell though.

Turn the clock back 12 month plenty on here had Phillips on their "get rid" of lists. The concern shows how well he did last season and he is a very important part of MB's set up.
Think someone will need to pay silly money for us to sell.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Ask for 25 million then we'll see which are serious about him include a sell on clause as well.

Having said that i wouldn't want to sell him as he's an important member of the group.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Wigwam
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Wigwam »

I'd be massively disappointed if we let Phillips go. I think we should be building the team around him. All players up the spine of the team are the most important and he's young and will only get better. If we really do have to sell him we need to get some clauses in the sale for sell on, appearances, England caps or whatever. It may be my ignorance but whenever we sell our players there doesn't seem to be any of this and we end up selling for a bit cheaper. I hope we're not in need of being a selling club anymore and can hold out for some proper cash if we do sell. If the player wants to move then fair enough, but at least let's get our moneys worth.