2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by phil62 »

TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:If social media profiles are anything to go by, Clarke is out, Costa is in.
Sounds good to me. Clarke is overrated and 10m for him would be entirely acceptable. He won't be a key to promotion, Costa might though.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
lufctrav
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by lufctrav »

ilkley62 wrote:
Selby White wrote:
Leicester White wrote:Personally, I'm not a fan.
Apart from his patchy fitness record I think he's lost a bit of pace since he was at Saints and don't think he's the finisher we're looking for.

Jay Rodriguez is definitely a decent championship striker - last season, 47 matches, 22 goals and 6 assists. Fantastic skill and according to someone who knows him, a really good attitude. West Brom is cash strapped... they might not want to risk holding out for a premiership offer, which may never come. Harvey Barnes's Dad watched every game he played for West Brom and knows a lot about football (himself a decent striker who scored a couple at Old Trafford when York City knocked Man U out of the league Cup so love him for that!) and spoke about Rodriguez & Gayle as reasons why Baggies would get automatic promotion while Harvey was there in that name order. I'm hoping Rodriguez is on the club's radar.

By way of comparison, Bamford - £7m , 23 matches, 9 goals and 2 assists... the difference would IMO have equated to promotion. Upside on Bamford is 25 yrs old vs 29, but I'd swap - too often Bamford is shrugged off of the ball and has to resort to a foul for any physical presence for my liking.
Bamford was a substitute in many of those games and was actually on the pitch for just over 1,600 minutes.
A goal every 162 minutes.

Rodriguez was on the pitch for over 4 000 minutes averaging a goal every 188 minutes.

Roofe averaged 167 mins per goal.

So both our strikers scored more often than Rodriguez.
IMO there is a player in there with Bamford ....."if" he can stay fit & play 40+ games next season he'll score 20+ goals , his confidence & his ability will blossom, not to mention he'll also be a lot stronger when fully fit for a decent period.
Agree. I get a Chris Wood vibe from him that the more games he plays, the more effective he'll be.
phil62 wrote:
TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:If social media profiles are anything to go by, Clarke is out, Costa is in.
Sounds good to me. Clarke is overrated and 10m for him would be entirely acceptable. He won't be a key to promotion, Costa might though.
I wouldn't say Clarke is overrated potential wise but if you consider our current position and ambitions, the £10m we could reinvest outweighs his potential.
Leeds are in a 'win now' window.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote: Bet365 wont take any bets on Jack Clarke going to Spurs for £10m, read into that what you want.
Loads of other bookies are though, albeit he is 1/10 to go to Spurs.

Jack Clarke himself has liked the tweet and then took it down, he has also and removed LUFC from his bio.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Jack Clarke himself has liked the tweet and then took it down, he has also and removed LUFC from his bio.
Did he not remove the logo a couple of months back and replace it with a picture of himself?
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

If I had to choose, either keep Phillips or keep Clarke, I would 100% keep Phillips, purely down to his overall consistency and overall value to the team.
I agree Clarke is all about potential, burst on the scene with some brilliant sub appearances, but then had his illness and never really looked the same player after that.

I have never liked selling our young guns before they fully develop, but could get my head round selling Clarke for say £14Million, as long as we reinvest it where needed.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

I would definitely choose Phillips over Clarke any day. Phillips is a more established player and is essential to our aspirations for promotion.

Clarke only just broke through last season and made an instant hit with some fine displays but as some others have said he didn't return the same player after he got ill. If we do let him go to Spurs then it has to be for nothing less than the 14 million as is quoted.

I am not overly confident in our reinvestment policies at LUFC. I know some would like to keep onto Clarke and so would I but i fear we have to sell in order to get in other quality players we need in different areas.

Did we get any fee for Paudie O'Connor? I thought he was a decent full back when he played for us and was a little disappointed to hear he had been let go. What I don't know is the fee if any.
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Jack Clarke is an interesting one... when he turned the match at Villa, I thought he was the most exciting player we've seen in years and had that Chris Waddle ability to seemingly go past players in slow motion. If the club do let him go for a decent fee, then I hope they reinvest in a player who is better than Jack Clarke right now and also build in significant add on clauses for when he plays for England U21s, England full team, etc, etc. When you look at what our star young players have gone on to do post-Leeds, it must be an Even money bet at least he'll go onto win caps and the windfalls from that could make a real difference.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Leicester White wrote:Jack Clarke is an interesting one... when he turned the match at Villa, I thought he was the most exciting player we've seen in years and had that Chris Waddle ability to seemingly go past players in slow motion. If the club do let him go for a decent fee, then I hope they reinvest in a player who is better than Jack Clarke right now and also build in significant add on clauses for when he plays for England U21s, England full team, etc, etc. When you look at what our star young players have gone on to do post-Leeds, it must be an Even money bet at least he'll go onto win caps and the windfalls from that could make a real difference.

Yep, good point.
£10-14m up front, another couple if Spurs qualify for the CL again this coming season, a couple more if he plays for England's first team and a 10% sell-on clause.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Selby White wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Did he not remove the logo a couple of months back and replace it with a picture of himself?
I mean the #lufc bit Selby, he’s definitely removed it as I’ve just checked now.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.