2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Deleted User 728 »

NottinghamWhite wrote:Brighton have put a £35m price tag on Ben White
He'll play for England before Euro 2020 (21) I think.
When you look at the very average centre-backs in the current squad I think he's worth every penny of that fee.
He's already better than Michael Keane and Phil Jones.
Maguire's been found out a bit and is slow and easy to beat on the turn.
Stone's stagnated if not regressed.
Mings is quick and powerful but no world-beater.
Chris Smalling has been excellent for Roma and they love him while Joe Gomez has matured dramatically and now looks like the best bet for first pick.

If it was me, I'd call up White for the next squad and also Gary Cahill - he's been as good as any on that list.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Yes, he’ll play for England, and whilst I agree with most of what you say there Rigger, almost all of those players you mention are playing against Premier League strikers, whilst White is, obviously, playing against lesser strikers. He needs testing at a higher level.

Is he worth £35M, who knows, but we won’t be paying that sort of money that is for sure.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Barlow Boy wrote:Yes, he’ll play for England, and whilst I agree with most of what you say there Rigger, almost all of those players you mention are playing against Premier League strikers, whilst White is, obviously, playing against lesser strikers. He needs testing at a higher level.

Is he worth £35M, who knows, but we won’t be paying that sort of money that is for sure.
Oil money ?
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Davycc wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:Yes, he’ll play for England, and whilst I agree with most of what you say there Rigger, almost all of those players you mention are playing against Premier League strikers, whilst White is, obviously, playing against lesser strikers. He needs testing at a higher level.

Oil money ?
Possibly, but even then I just can’t see us spending that level of money in our first season back (that’s assuming we go up, of course).
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Suspect as we now look to have a fantastic chance of reaching the Prem Brighton are trying it on by upping the price knowing we will have more cash.

Everything is negotiable and expect us to get him for less.

More importantly lets finish the job get there first or he would be out of our reach.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

Geeze Is that all ..Everybody will want him :lolno:
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

Am I the only one here that thinks that's pretty reasonable? Obviously in the Covid market nobody really knows what could happen (loans and free signings ahoy), but given the prices being touted for top CBs around the world are invariably 2 or 3 times this, £35m is a snip. If you're Man City or Liverpool, you're after Koulibaly or Skriniar, but you also know you need more than that, and you've easily got the £35m to play with in addition to the £100m you'll throw at the first-choice No.2.

It's a p...er for us, of course, but I'm not at all surprised by what Brighton are saying.
Last edited by Another Northern Soul on 29 Jun 2020, 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Language, Timothy! :)
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
MOT1919
Terry Venables's car dealer

Post by MOT1919 »

Anyone else starting to see that buy option on Helder Costa looking like an albatross? It's a big chunk of money for a player who hasn't really been a difference maker. I really don't think he even make the XI with a fully fit team.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

MOT1919 wrote:Anyone else starting to see that buy option on Helder Costa looking like an albatross? It's a big chunk of money for a player who hasn't really been a difference maker. I really don't think he even make the XI with a fully fit team.
Agree looks decent at times but I expected a lot more.

As you say not a difference maker.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

You could say the same about Douglas : the words "I saw you coming" spring to mind ..