2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Sniffer »

Nic wrote:One of the areas we need to strengthen is in attack, looks like we are been linked with Jese Rodriguez

https://tbrfootball.com/report-claims-l ... is-summer/
It looks as though Leeds United could be interested in the signature of Spanish forward Jese Rodriguez. According to Estadio Deportivo, Marcelo Bielsa is keen on the signature of the PSG attacker. He spent the second half of last season on loan at Real Betis, with Leeds reportedly keen on the player at the same time. According to El Desmarque, Leeds made a move for the player in January.

The report stated that Leeds fought until the end of the transfer window to sign the former Stoke City player on loan from the French giants. However, the report stated Leeds had concerns over a short spell at Elland Road. Therefore, Jese headed back to Spain with Real Betis. But the latest report from ED explains that Betis have no desire to make that deal permanent. Therefore, Leeds could return for the 26-year-old, who will be looking to leave PSG again in the summer.

Undoubtedly, Jese would be an eye-catching recruit from Leeds. The 25-year-old was once considered a wonderkid in Spain after making his breakthrough at Real Madrid. So much so, that when PSG bought him in 2016, they paid a fee reported by Sky Sports to be in the region of £21 million.

But his time in the French capital has been forgettable and Leeds will be hoping to convince him that Elland Road is the perfect place to kickstart his flagging career.
With Ryan Edmondson looking to break through to the first team, will we still be actively hoping to bolster the area. Hopefully it would mean strength and depth in the area so we are not so desperately at the mercy of injuries.
It's an interesting rumour considering who the owners of PSG are.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Nic wrote:
saintjimmy wrote:Haven’t seen or heard anything certain but rumour going around that Kiko is on his way , anyone else heard anything?
https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/26/r ... uld-leave/
According to a report from The Sun on Sunday (26/5; page 69), Leeds are looking for a new goalkeeper this summer, and Kiko Casilla could end up leaving Elland Road to return to Spain.

Casilla only joined the Whites during the January transfer window. His arrival pleased a lot of supporters with doubts growing as to whether Bailey Peacock-Farrell had been quite ready to be the club's first-choice stopper. And initially, it appeared that the former Real Madrid ace would be an inspired addition. His save on his debut against Rotherham was a standout moment, and it seemed that the defence had a lot more confidence in the energetic 32-year-old than they had done in Peacock-Farrell.

But his erratic behaviour started to land Leeds in some bother towards the end of the campaign, and it was his mix up with Liam Cooper that allowed Derby back into a play-off semi-final which had seen Marcelo Bielsa's side place one foot at Wembley. And it appears that the second-leg defeat could prove to be Casilla's final appearance for Leeds if reports are correct. The Sun on Sunday (26/5; page 69) reports that the Whites are now looking for a new goalkeeper, and Casilla could 'possibly' leave the club to head back to Spain.

If Casilla is not going to be first-choice next season, then it makes a lot of sense to let him leave. The Yorkshire Evening Post reports that he is earning over £30,000-a-week at Leeds, and some supporters will argue that those wages could be better spent on other members of the squad. But if Casilla does end up sticking around and Bielsa keeps him as his first-choice, then he definitely has the quality to turn his fortunes around and win his critics over.
Suppose we haven't seen much of BPF and maybe if uncertainty that KC will be first choice then maybe there is more to behind the rumour. Would we be after Emiliano Martinez again?
Would be gutted if he left ....ok he is probably a pretty number 2s keeper but the Kiko & Pablo chant is probably the highlight of last season :clap: :D
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

isrodger wrote:
Nic wrote: Suppose we haven't seen much of BPF and maybe if uncertainty that KC will be first choice then maybe there is more to behind the rumour. Would we be after Emiliano Martinez again?
Would be gutted if he left ....ok he is probably a pretty number 2s keeper but the Kiko & Pablo chant is probably the highlight of last season :clap: :D
Yes :clap:
[Normal_voice] Pablo Hernandez, Pablo Hernandez [/Normal_Voice]
[Deep_Voice]Kiko Casilla, Kiko Casilla [/Deep_Voice]
.. and repeat

Not sure why everyone went deep when signing Kiko's name though :wtf:
MOT1964

Post by MOT1964 »

ilkley62 wrote:IMO I cant see us finishing top 2 keeping the exact same squad so selling one or 2 of our most saleable assets is only going to make us weaker, would love us to add 3 to the (first 18) squad but I know we have to balance the books so its probably unlikely.
Exactly, particularly as we are reportedly due to post a loss of around £15 million for this financial year.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

MOT1964 wrote:
ilkley62 wrote:IMO I cant see us finishing top 2 keeping the exact same squad so selling one or 2 of our most saleable assets is only going to make us weaker, would love us to add 3 to the (first 18) squad but I know we have to balance the books so its probably unlikely.
Exactly, particularly as we are reportedly due to post a loss of around £15 million for this financial year.
We somehow need to offload a few of those who have been out on loan to cut the wage bill which will rise unless they can be loaned again.
Only one I feel will return and force his way into the first team squad is Malik Wilks (did superb at Doncaster)
Not given up on the likes of Tom Pearce, Lewie Coyle, Paudie O'Connor, etc but they have dropped a long way down the pecking order and haven't progressed enough from what I see.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic

Post by Nic »

Selby White wrote:
MOT1964 wrote:
We somehow need to offload a few of those who have been out on loan to cut the wage bill which will rise unless they can be loaned again.
Only one I feel will return and force his way into the first team squad is Malik Wilks (did superb at Doncaster)
Not given up on the likes of Tom Pearce, Lewie Coyle, Paudie O'Connor, etc but they have dropped a long way down the pecking order and haven't progressed enough from what I see.
It's often easy to forget just how many players we have out on loan, the vast majority will never get a look in as they are probably behind the Under-23's. We do need to look to offload them, though not sure how much it will raise.
Deleted User 2066

Post by Deleted User 2066 »

Hopefully we learn the lesson of last session and get in players in key positions. Players out Berardi, Casilla, O Kane, Bamford.
Have not done enough. O Kane out of loan but we have more than enough cover in this area. Jannson looks lost these days and if a big bid came in he can be replaced.
Instead of a make shift defence filled with players doing a job, get the right player to fill the position. Our poor defending towards the later end of the season
showed how vunerable we really are. Mine you Calamity Casilla played his part on a number of occasions. We must hold on to Phillips, Clarke the squad should be built around them.
Nic

Post by Nic »

cybermaf wrote:Hopefully we learn the lesson of last session and get in players in key positions. Players out Berardi, Casilla, O Kane, Bamford.
Have not done enough. O Kane out of loan but we have more than enough cover in this area. Jannson looks lost these days and if a big bid came in he can be replaced.
Instead of a make shift defence filled with players doing a job, get the right player to fill the position. Our poor defending towards the later end of the season
showed how vunerable we really are. Mine you Calamity Casilla played his part on a number of occasions. We must hold on to Phillips, Clarke the squad should be built around them.
Too early to chuck Bamford out, often a striker takes time to bed in with us. Look how Wood was with his first season compared to his second.
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

Bamford won't be going anywhere. He's on a good wedge and MB apparently rates him.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

If we need to raise cash then I would sell Roofe (not good enough) and Clarke (overrated and seemingly attracting a large fee). I hope Casilla stays and I'm with Bielsa - I rate Bamford and could see him scoring 20+ next season, no problem. We need a good winger, another centre back and a creative player to lighten the load for Pablo (Saiz back would be fine with me - he is a quality player). We played some amazing football last season and I see no reason for that to change - we just need to be more clinical in front of goal - it was this that cost us in spite of dominating possession in virtually every game.

Mightily relieved Marcelo is staying though - most important signing of the lot.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”