2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Barlow Boy »

Jordan Stevens banned from any football related activity for 6 weeks, and given £1,200 fine for breaching betting regulations.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Liam Cooper (5 years) and Stuart Dallas (4 years) both sign new deals........

https://www.leedsunited.com/news/team-n ... -new-deals
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

I have to admit to being surprised at the length of contracts. If we go up this season as intended then they will be squad players at best, as imo they are well off what we would need to survive in the Prem. They have both served the club well with differing form over the years. I wrote Cooper off after his red card down at Norwich just for petulance, and all tho Dallas has had a great start (his best form just when he needed a new contract) imo he is not good enough if we have lofty ambitions for the future. I would say top ten Championship players at best.

Other than that i'm over the moon for them both. :D
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I have to admit to being surprised at the length of contracts. If we go up this season as intended then they will be squad players at best, as imo they are well off what we would need to survive in the Prem. They have both served the club well with differing form over the years. I wrote Cooper off after his red card down at Norwich just for petulance, and all tho Dallas has had a great start (his best form just when he needed a new contract) imo he is not good enough if we have lofty ambitions for the future. I would say top ten Championship players at best.

Totally agree ... being pragmatic these two are at their level, if we get promoted and these two play for us ... were buggered ! Why bump up their salaries ... god knows, all we have done is make them harder to discard as their salaries may prove problematic for 70% of the championship clubs. For me it’s just a waste of money.
new signing
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by new signing »

Im inclined to think that Coopers extension will be based on the thinking that if we gain promotion he will be moved to the bench as security because he isn't really up to prem standard. It also means should the worst happen and we go straight down we still have a proven centre half ready to go around again.

In the case of Dallas i think the 4 years buys us security for this season and beyond. Should we be promoted it is likely Dallas will be loaned back to the championship and as with Cooper should we find ourselves going straight back down we have a player ready to come straight back in. There is also the possibility with Dallas that more often than not you'll get a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance and he is able to cover a hell of a lot of positions so he may remain with the main squad just as a cheap cover option
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

new signing wrote:Im inclined to think that Coopers extension will be based on the thinking that if we gain promotion he will be moved to the bench as security because he isn't really up to prem standard. It also means should the worst happen and we go straight down we still have a proven centre half ready to go around again.

In the case of Dallas i think the 4 years buys us security for this season and beyond. Should we be promoted it is likely Dallas will be loaned back to the championship and as with Cooper should we find ourselves going straight back down we have a player ready to come straight back in. There is also the possibility with Dallas that more often than not you'll get a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance and he is able to cover a hell of a lot of positions so he may remain with the main squad just as a cheap cover option
Couldn't agree more :clap: . It is far too easy to think that once we get promoted, that's it, job done, and onwards we go. It is a big step up and simply jettison old players and getting new ones and thinking we'll stay there is a dangerous route. Look at our local rivals in blue & white, went up, survived, got new players and rid of the old and came back down. They're are not in the position to bounce back and in fact at a risk of a double drop!
Maybe we will go up and cement our position there, but when we are on PL finances will their wages and contract length be a worry - there are plenty of players milling around the bottom of the PL on higher wages but never destined to get much pitch time.
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

Reports Clarke will be recalled in January if lack of involvement continues. If he's not involved then wouldn't be a big loss would he?
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Even if we get promoted, there is definitely still room for Cooper and Dallas in the squad. Cooper is clearly a well respected leadership figure in the dressing room, and someone that can be an invaluable part of the squad in the coming years - even if he is 3rd or 4th choice CB. Dallas' versatility makes him equally invaluable to having in a squad. He can play anywhere along the flanks to a reasonable standard. If we go up, we can hardly bring in an entirely new squad, so retaining players like these will be important.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

isrodger wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:I have to admit to being surprised at the length of contracts. If we go up this season as intended then they will be squad players at best, as imo they are well off what we would need to survive in the Prem. They have both served the club well with differing form over the years. I wrote Cooper off after his red card down at Norwich just for petulance, and all tho Dallas has had a great start (his best form just when he needed a new contract) imo he is not good enough if we have lofty ambitions for the future. I would say top ten Championship players at best.

Totally agree ... being pragmatic these two are at their level, if we get promoted and these two play for us ... were buggered ! Why bump up their salaries ... god knows, all we have done is make them harder to discard as their salaries may prove problematic for 70% of the championship clubs. For me it’s just a waste of money.
This is a Rock and a Hard Place kind of situation for the Club. If they do nothing they get criticised and if they do something they get it in the neck.

I can get that Phillips is put on a longer contract but Cooper & Dallsa is a different kettle of fish IMHO. The latter two are OK Championship players provided they play out of their skins week in week our - rather like Cooper last season and perhaps Dallas in this one. A two year extension would have been the more sensible appraoch. Longer than that, as said above, they become a millstone
Keep The Faith / WAL
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Some utterings about a possible recall of Jack Clarke to Tottenham. Be fair enough I guess if the lad is not going to get a look in as far as our match day squad I'd concerned. His development seems to have hit the buffers since that episode of illness he suffered; has not been right since.

It is a positive sign for us that we have a deal of potential ahead of Jack Clarke and don't have to automatically select him. I can understand why Spurs would be unhappy
Keep The Faith / WAL