2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 5081

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

We have a good side already and the fact that Pablo will be another year older should in some ways restrict his ability to affect games as he once could but i wouldn't replace him completely. He has a lot of experience and guile and this is what we need most of all from him. I think we should be looking into adding him onto the coaching staff after his contract runs out for those young lads we have an abundance of will almost certainly learn a few of his technical skills.

I am of the thinking that every successful squad have a few elder players a few young players and a backbone of mid twenties players, like Leeds had when Wilko's team were promoted and then became champions. We had an average age of 22 - 23 i think last season as a squad for many of the games. This season it should be that little older and I believe we will have learned a lot from it. We learned it hurts to fall at the final hurdle and this in itself could and should urge the players to go that extra mile this time around.

A few players are needed and i put my trust in Bielsa's management skills to get us promoted.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

We will only be tweaking the side. I cannot see 5-6 to slot into the starting 11 or pushing for places. Not much movement so far, but hope it's not another month or more before news comes out.
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

The way Leeds play under Bielsa means any signings needs to be made sooner, rather than later. Any additions will need a full pre-season to have any chance of being up to speed by the start of the season.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

PC71 wrote:The way Leeds play under Bielsa means any signings needs to be made sooner, rather than later. Any additions will need a full pre-season to have any chance of being up to speed by the start of the season.
Agree however I suspect our biggest loan signing may have to wait until after 8/8 ? Once the premiership window shuts, and the likes of a Costa / Kent realise there not even close se to the match day squad.
Daz5
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Daz5 »

Carlisle winger Liam McCarron linked today in the Mail.
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

If there is one thing that I do have a pet hate with Leeds United over the past few seasons it has to be the lack of urgency in getting in players early. We seems to be on the transfer trail of so many players according to a magnanimous amount of websites but we are I believe a little too meticulous and overly cautious when getting signings in.

Take a look at January and how we put all our eggs in one basket only for Swansea to renege on the deal at the very last second of the transfer deadline. That wasn't James fault and not our owners fault that it failed to go through, but in reality we should have been looking at other players and getting a yes i would like to play for Leeds anyway and then decide on who really suits the team by doing a contract.

It sounds as if i am inpatient and i probably am to some degree, But there is more fun in watching the paint on my walls flake rather than dry. Somehow i have a feeling we will be let down once again by the time the season kicks off and yes we will have one or two players in but they will be once again average at best in the hope Bielsa can upgrade them into better players. I hope we are not going to rely too much on that aspect even though i believe he could get a league two player in and make him an average championship player with no real problems.

I would like to see a bit more quality coming in though this time around to show we are serious about promotion. This is our last chance certainly under Bielsa to get promoted and also with some of the players too.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

CorkWhite wrote:If there is one thing that I do have a pet hate with Leeds United over the past few seasons it has to be the lack of urgency in getting in players early. We seems to be on the transfer trail of so many players according to a magnanimous amount of websites but we are I believe a little too meticulous and overly cautious when getting signings in.
I have no doubt that any business we do will happen in August so I am not going to get into a lather over it. That is just the LUFC way currently :think:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Personally, I'm not a fan.
Apart from his patchy fitness record I think he's lost a bit of pace since he was at Saints and don't think he's the finisher we're looking for.

Jay Rodriguez is definitely a decent championship striker - last season, 47 matches, 22 goals and 6 assists. Fantastic skill and according to someone who knows him, a really good attitude. West Brom is cash strapped... they might not want to risk holding out for a premiership offer, which may never come. Harvey Barnes's Dad watched every game he played for West Brom and knows a lot about football (himself a decent striker who scored a couple at Old Trafford when York City knocked Man U out of the league Cup so love him for that!) and spoke about Rodriguez & Gayle as reasons why Baggies would get automatic promotion while Harvey was there in that name order. I'm hoping Rodriguez is on the club's radar.

By way of comparison, Bamford - £7m , 23 matches, 9 goals and 2 assists... the difference would IMO have equated to promotion. Upside on Bamford is 25 yrs old vs 29, but I'd swap - too often Bamford is shrugged off of the ball and has to resort to a foul for any physical presence for my liking.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Leicester White wrote:Personally, I'm not a fan.
Apart from his patchy fitness record I think he's lost a bit of pace since he was at Saints and don't think he's the finisher we're looking for.

Jay Rodriguez is definitely a decent championship striker - last season, 47 matches, 22 goals and 6 assists. Fantastic skill and according to someone who knows him, a really good attitude. West Brom is cash strapped... they might not want to risk holding out for a premiership offer, which may never come. Harvey Barnes's Dad watched every game he played for West Brom and knows a lot about football (himself a decent striker who scored a couple at Old Trafford when York City knocked Man U out of the league Cup so love him for that!) and spoke about Rodriguez & Gayle as reasons why Baggies would get automatic promotion while Harvey was there in that name order. I'm hoping Rodriguez is on the club's radar.

By way of comparison, Bamford - £7m , 23 matches, 9 goals and 2 assists... the difference would IMO have equated to promotion. Upside on Bamford is 25 yrs old vs 29, but I'd swap - too often Bamford is shrugged off of the ball and has to resort to a foul for any physical presence for my liking.
Bamford was a substitute in many of those games and was actually on the pitch for just over 1,600 minutes.
A goal every 162 minutes.

Rodriguez was on the pitch for over 4 000 minutes averaging a goal every 188 minutes.

Roofe averaged 167 mins per goal.

So both our strikers scored more often than Rodriguez.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Bamford was a substitute in many of those games and was actually on the pitch for just over 1,600 minutes.
A goal every 162 minutes.

Rodriguez was on the pitch for over 4 000 minutes averaging a goal every 188 minutes.

Roofe averaged 167 mins per goal.

So both our strikers scored more often than Rodriguez.
Those are interesting stats. Do you (or does anyone) have access to the goals to chances ratio for those guys?