2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Nic » 25 May 2019, 20:55

SiMamu wrote:
DominanceUK wrote:
Nic wrote:
TezzaWazzaBazza wrote:We need to add genuine quality to be contenders, not put our faith in players we're unsure of. Young players may need more time to adapt, which is fine over a longer term, but we really missed Saiz, and a good, consistent winger.
Norwich got Pukki on a free transfer as a gamble, so sometimes they pay off.
Personally think we just need a few players and sell on many that won't get into the top 18. If Bamford gets a full pre-season and stays fit we should see a big difference next season, but another striker who will convert chances to increase our conversion rate will add the depth we need. A winger with pace is also what Bielsa will be looking for, one reason why he went after James is we need to bolster that area.


I agree, however, why does PB need a pre-season to be fit? Surely he was fit enough when he had a run of games? IMO, he's not suitable to our style and tbh he comes across as lazy.

Many footballers have said that having a good pre season is vital to having a good season. Also, Bamford came into the team at the business end of the season and was thrown in after 5 months out. It was always going to be a difficult period to get up to speed.

I stated and stays fit as in for the season, though meaning injury free. Bielsa worked a lot with the players in pre-season which set them up, Bamford missed that and then lengthy time out injured compounded that. I don't share the opinion about his style being a mismatch, but instead a good pre-season learning to anticipate the break so he is able to be in the box at the right time will do wonders. We have in the past seen new acquisitions have a poor first season and a much improved second and the same could be for bamford.

A concern is if we get new acquisitions, when will we get them. There is a strong argument for getting all the transfers done early to make the most of preseason but we do seem to leave it until the last moment, like we did with James, probably in the aim of shaving a few thousand off the transfer fee. Hopefully that Bielsa and Orta have been seen out having meetings mean that Bielsa has his targets and wants to see movement on them by the time he signs to stay.
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Davycc » 26 May 2019, 09:18

Nic wrote: until the last moment, like we did with James,


I see you're point re Bamford having a full pre-season can't argue with that and indeed getting any players in early is obviously beneficial but the James move didn't fail because it was last minute, he was sitting at Thorpe Arch waiting to sign after doing his medical when they reneged on the deal.
This is what makes you champions, you never give in, never ever give in..
User avatar
Davycc
Bielsa's English Teacher
 
Posts: 9480
Joined: 03 Aug 2011, 18:09
Location: Wet West Britain

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Another Northern Soul » 26 May 2019, 09:55

Davycc wrote:
Nic wrote: until the last moment, like we did with James,


I see you're point re Bamford having a full pre-season can't argue with that and indeed getting any players in early is obviously beneficial but the James move didn't fail because it was last minute, he was sitting at Thorpe Arch waiting to sign after doing his medical when they reneged on the deal.


But 'apparently' it's Radrizzani's fault that Swansea reneged on their agreement :crazy:
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Nic » 26 May 2019, 11:38

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Nic wrote: until the last moment, like we did with James,


I see you're point re Bamford having a full pre-season can't argue with that and indeed getting any players in early is obviously beneficial but the James move didn't fail because it was last minute, he was sitting at Thorpe Arch waiting to sign after doing his medical when they reneged on the deal.


But 'apparently' it's Radrizzani's fault that Swansea reneged on their agreement :crazy:
100% Swansea's fault - I never indicated otherwise, no point making up statements that were not said - simply putting 'apparently', quotation marks included, doesn't make it valid!

Yes James was set to go, but if nothing had gone wrong the announcement would have been right up until the deadline. Bielsa had made it clear James was who he wanted, and maybe there was other reasons why it took right up until the deadline, but we seem to nearly always sign at the last minute. Surely getting the transfer sealed early especially as the owners wanted to sell would have been best. I'm not on about in hindsight but generally as it would have shown clear intent - the manager wanted 2 players, both got, job done.

I would assume that Bielsa has given indications of who he wants, or types of players needed. Getting players in so that Bielsa can work his magic for a full pre-season will get the best results rather than late additions which will mean that things will need to be changed to accommodate the new signings during the season or new signings will have limited impact and be on the bench because tactics have already been worked out.

So hoping we will see main signings sometime next month, rather than end of July or August.
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Another Northern Soul » 26 May 2019, 12:12

Nic wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:
Davycc wrote:
Nic wrote: until the last moment, like we did with James,


I see you're point re Bamford having a full pre-season can't argue with that and indeed getting any players in early is obviously beneficial but the James move didn't fail because it was last minute, he was sitting at Thorpe Arch waiting to sign after doing his medical when they reneged on the deal.


But 'apparently' it's Radrizzani's fault that Swansea reneged on their agreement :crazy:
100% Swansea's fault - I never indicated otherwise, no point making up statements that were not said - simply putting 'apparently', quotation marks included, doesn't make it valid!

Yes James was set to go, but if nothing had gone wrong the announcement would have been right up until the deadline. Bielsa had made it clear James was who he wanted, and maybe there was other reasons why it took right up until the deadline, but we seem to nearly always sign at the last minute. Surely getting the transfer sealed early especially as the owners wanted to sell would have been best. I'm not on about in hindsight but generally as it would have shown clear intent - the manager wanted 2 players, both got, job done.

I would assume that Bielsa has given indications of who he wants, or types of players needed. Getting players in so that Bielsa can work his magic for a full pre-season will get the best results rather than late additions which will mean that things will need to be changed to accommodate the new signings during the season or new signings will have limited impact and be on the bench because tactics have already been worked out.

So hoping we will see main signings sometime next month, rather than end of July or August.


I might be misconstruing it Nic but my comment of 'apparently' wasn't a dig other than at those people blaming Radrizzani for Swansea's insincerity (polite term) ;)
User avatar
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 4958
Joined: 01 Nov 2015, 09:55

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby saintjimmy » 26 May 2019, 12:31

Haven’t seen or heard anything certain but rumour going around that Kiko is on his way , anyone else heard anything?
User avatar
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 08:21
Location: Down the pub on hope street

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby SiMamu » 26 May 2019, 12:43

saintjimmy wrote:Haven’t seen or heard anything certain but rumour going around that Kiko is on his way , anyone else heard anything?

Alan Nixon from the Sun has said on Twitter that we're after a new goalkeeper as Casilla may be going back to Spain.
"I wouldn't say I'm the best manager in the business, but I'm in the top one."
User avatar
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator
 
Posts: 10555
Joined: 27 Mar 2012, 14:07

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Nic » 26 May 2019, 13:18

saintjimmy wrote:Haven’t seen or heard anything certain but rumour going around that Kiko is on his way , anyone else heard anything?


https://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2019/05/26/r ... uld-leave/

According to a report from The Sun on Sunday (26/5; page 69), Leeds are looking for a new goalkeeper this summer, and Kiko Casilla could end up leaving Elland Road to return to Spain.

Casilla only joined the Whites during the January transfer window. His arrival pleased a lot of supporters with doubts growing as to whether Bailey Peacock-Farrell had been quite ready to be the club's first-choice stopper. And initially, it appeared that the former Real Madrid ace would be an inspired addition. His save on his debut against Rotherham was a standout moment, and it seemed that the defence had a lot more confidence in the energetic 32-year-old than they had done in Peacock-Farrell.

But his erratic behaviour started to land Leeds in some bother towards the end of the campaign, and it was his mix up with Liam Cooper that allowed Derby back into a play-off semi-final which had seen Marcelo Bielsa's side place one foot at Wembley. And it appears that the second-leg defeat could prove to be Casilla's final appearance for Leeds if reports are correct. The Sun on Sunday (26/5; page 69) reports that the Whites are now looking for a new goalkeeper, and Casilla could 'possibly' leave the club to head back to Spain.

If Casilla is not going to be first-choice next season, then it makes a lot of sense to let him leave. The Yorkshire Evening Post reports that he is earning over £30,000-a-week at Leeds, and some supporters will argue that those wages could be better spent on other members of the squad. But if Casilla does end up sticking around and Bielsa keeps him as his first-choice, then he definitely has the quality to turn his fortunes around and win his critics over.

Suppose we haven't seen much of BPF and maybe if uncertainty that KC will be first choice then maybe there is more to behind the rumour. Would we be after Emiliano Martinez again?
Last edited by Nic on 26 May 2019, 13:32, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby Nic » 26 May 2019, 13:29

One of the areas we need to strengthen is in attack, looks like we are been linked with Jese Rodriguez

https://tbrfootball.com/report-claims-l ... is-summer/
It looks as though Leeds United could be interested in the signature of Spanish forward Jese Rodriguez. According to Estadio Deportivo, Marcelo Bielsa is keen on the signature of the PSG attacker. He spent the second half of last season on loan at Real Betis, with Leeds reportedly keen on the player at the same time. According to El Desmarque, Leeds made a move for the player in January.

The report stated that Leeds fought until the end of the transfer window to sign the former Stoke City player on loan from the French giants. However, the report stated Leeds had concerns over a short spell at Elland Road. Therefore, Jese headed back to Spain with Real Betis. But the latest report from ED explains that Betis have no desire to make that deal permanent. Therefore, Leeds could return for the 26-year-old, who will be looking to leave PSG again in the summer.

Undoubtedly, Jese would be an eye-catching recruit from Leeds. The 25-year-old was once considered a wonderkid in Spain after making his breakthrough at Real Madrid. So much so, that when PSG bought him in 2016, they paid a fee reported by Sky Sports to be in the region of £21 million.

But his time in the French capital has been forgettable and Leeds will be hoping to convince him that Elland Road is the perfect place to kickstart his flagging career.


With Ryan Edmondson looking to break through to the first team, will we still be actively hoping to bolster the area. Hopefully it would mean strength and depth in the area so we are not so desperately at the mercy of injuries.
User avatar
Nic
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1235
Joined: 31 Jan 2013, 15:46

Re: 2019-20 Transfer News and Squad Discussions

Postby saintjimmy » 26 May 2019, 13:55

Cheers Si and Nic , I felt he had been very erratic towards the end doing things other keepers would have been slammed for , and taking to lads around me in the cheese wedge and folk at the U23 playoff final everyone had the same opinion that he was a bit of a liability.
User avatar
saintjimmy
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter
 
Posts: 1072
Joined: 03 Apr 2010, 08:21
Location: Down the pub on hope street

PreviousNext

Return to LUFC TALK

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests