Positive thoughts for next season

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Positive thoughts for next season

Post by Selby White »

Really looking forward to next season especially now we are assured MB is staying to continue the great work he is doing. In fact let’s just say I’m very excited about our prospects doing better than our excellent 3rd place finish.
As a believer in building a team and improving things (probably due to my own previous involvement in Sports coaching) he is exactly what I want here.
Not a great fan of buying for the sake but appreciate if the raw material isn’t there some players will need to be added. Not going to get involved in those discussions until players arrive, I’ll trust MB’s judgement on what he needs.
I also realise we have a lot of dead wood (players MB will not be using), many been out on loan and hopefully these can be offloaded or could become a strain on the wage bill. Appreciate we run a tight ship financially and don’t have issues with that given the fact we’ve seen the result of spending beyond your means.
Anyway on to the squad and my thoughts :-
Goalkeeper - Not certain Kiko will be here but I expect BPF to have improved and also Huffer to push him hard. However if I’m correct and KIko goes I believe this is the most likely area we someone come in.
RB – Totally happy with what we have in Ayling & Dallas as they fit MB’s system well, Shackleton to fill in if needed but see him playing furher up the pitch.
LB – Again happy, expect a better season from Douglas and Alioski really took to the role and was improving by the week until his injury. Never know Davies may develop to push the above two (but feel it may be his turn to go out on loan to get some games). Also I’m not writing off Tom Pearce on his return but we have a lot of players for the position.
CB – Coops & Pontus are decent but we do appear to be short of genuine cover. I do expect Struijk to break into the team at some stage really rate what I've seen of him. Haalme the other option just behind him in my eyes but also great potential. Not sure O’Connor or Shaughnessy have done enough out on loan to come back and push for a place.
Have not mentioned Berardi as actually have the feeling he may be gone by August but would be more than happy for him still to be here in August as defensive cover. I like a defender who actually enjoys getting stuck in and stopping opponents rather than swanning forward thinking he’s better than what he is.
DM – Phillips under MB will be even better this time.
M – Klich did great, a good few goals and assists, was surprised to see he played more minutes than any other player. Another that will keep improving under MB in my eyes.
Forshaw we need more from, bit of a disappointment but he is capable of better so am hoping he starts to produce more.
AM – Clarke & Shackleton to start more games, not every week as I believe young players need resting occasionally to keep them fresh. Possibly start 50 to 60% of games would be good.
Same theory at other end of the scale with older players like Pablo, pick and choose and you will get him at his best for the key games. Would like to see him play in about 70% but rest an odd one like xmas time when we have games too close together.
F – Bamford & Roofe are not as bad as some make out but at same time there is room for improvement. Both averaged a goal every 160 something minutes which is actually better than most. However that needs upping to around one every 130ish mins and I’m confident both are at an age they can improve to this level with a good coach at the helm. Bamford basically needs a good close season and a run without injury as I believe we will then see what he’s capable of.
Roberts excites me, easy to forget he’s only 20, looks currently to have all the attributes to be a top player (not enough goals though). I’m predicting he will be our biggest improver this season, watch this space.
Malik Wilks did great at Donny with goals and assists, the one for me coming back from loan that will make his mark in my eyes.

I’m sure one our two more from the development squad may come in and make an impact like Clarke & Shackleton did last season. If I was a betting man I’d go for Stephens.

Just looking forward to the headlines next May “Leeds Utd Champions”
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Positive thoughts for next season

Post by Davycc »

Stuck £10 on Leeds outright for the title 2 weeks ago. William Hill already offering me £11.69 cash in :thumbup:
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Positive thoughts for next season

Post by johnh »

I am supremely confident and positive that we won't be relegated next season. Cash in Davy while you're ahead. :thumbup: :lol:
I once played against Don Revie.