Parachute Payments

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Parachute Payments

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

How much Championship clubs will receive in parachute payments this summer

Cardiff £40m*

Fulham £40m*

Huddersfield £40m*

Stoke City £35m**

Swansea City £35m**

West Brom £35m**

* First year parachute payment

** Second year parachute payment

This is what we are up against financially next season.

How they spend the money is up to the six clubs be it on wages or players or a mix of both.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: Parachute Payments

Post by Leonickroberts »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:How much Championship clubs will receive in parachute payments this summer

Cardiff £40m*

Fulham £40m*

Huddersfield £40m*

Stoke City £35m**

Swansea City £35m**

West Brom £35m**

How they spend the money is up to the six clubs be it on wages or players or a mix of both.
Really useful, cheers SL. A timely reminder of exactly how the Premier League is driving a wedge into the football strata and making it increasingly difficult year on year for the sort of movement of clubs that we saw throughout the 20th century.

In terms of spending power, obviously this'll give these six a real boost, but let's not forget that Fulham spent £100m last summer and barely got a pound right (albeit in the EPL which is a different kettle of fish). Stoke wasted theirs too. I'd argue West Brom got it right, but failing to go up blew their chances of holding onto Gayle.

Also worth bearing in mind that Cardiff or Hudds with £40m in the bank is still probably less attractive than Leeds with Bielsa, to both ambitious younger permanent signings, and loanees (and their managers).
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
guitarmark
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by guitarmark »

I think I'm right in saying that no other league in Europe has a similar parachute payment, for the relegated sides - I suppose the argument for it will always be stronger from the relegated sides, as against from teams like ourselves and others
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Money for failing :crazy: Just think what that money could do for the lower leagues and grass roots football.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Davycc wrote:Money for failing :crazy: Just think what that money could do for the lower leagues and grass roots football.
It is part of the package for the lower leagues and does filter down when teams at our level recruit from the third, fourth and non-league divisions, but I think a more suitable way of generating grass roots cash is with a levy.

Even 0.1% of EPL earnings would make a massive difference .. but then I think about the billions in taxes we don't claim from corporations and my head explodes :problem:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
Davycc wrote:Money for failing :crazy: Just think what that money could do for the lower leagues and grass roots football.
It is part of the package for the lower leagues and does filter down when teams at our level recruit from the third, fourth and non-league divisions, but I think a more suitable way of generating grass roots cash is with a levy.

Even 0.1% of EPL earnings would make a massive difference .. but then I think about the billions in taxes we don't claim from corporations and my head explodes :problem:
Rigger, not sure what you mean by 'billions in taxes we don't claim from corporations'. If you mean the multi-national companies such as Google and Facebook, I agree. But the problem is that creative accounting by creative accountants means that these companies can move profits about to the lowest tax country. In this context, its not a question of not claiming, laws need to be changed and on a multi-national basis. One solution would be to have a tax on turnover rather than profit.
I once played against Don Revie.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:
rigger wrote:

Rigger, not sure what you mean by 'billions in taxes we don't claim from corporations'. If you mean the multi-national companies such as Google and Facebook, I agree. But the problem is that creative accounting by creative accountants means that these companies can move profits about to the lowest tax country. In this context, its not a question of not claiming, laws need to be changed and on a multi-national basis. One solution would be to have a tax on turnover rather than profit.
Here you go : https://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/new ... axman.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... study-says
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:How much Championship clubs will receive in parachute payments this summer

Cardiff £40m*

Fulham £40m*

Huddersfield £40m*

Stoke City £35m**

Swansea City £35m**

West Brom £35m**

Not being pedantic but it’s £45m/£35m and £15m yr 3 if yiu have been in the premiership for 2 consecutive seasons.