Two things Bielsa needs to do .. our season depends on it

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 728

Two things Bielsa needs to do .. our season depends on it

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've been thinking about how we can improve on last season and finally make the step to promotion under our highly regarded head coach and there are two clear and obvious areas he can improve both his own and the team's performance :

1. Expand the squad to cope with the rigours of a Championship season

2. Make more efficient use of the loan market

When I say expand the squad, I mean really use it too. It's not just about signing the centre-half, attacking midfielder, winger and striker we all think we need, but about rotating the side more often. This not only keeps the opposition guessing - we were too predictable at times - but also it keeps the players fit and on their toes if nobody's guaranteed a start. The trouble is, Bielsa seems so stubborn about lots of things and this is definitely one of them - pick a side, watch it win then stick to it unless someone gets injured. I don't subscribe to the adage of not changing a winning team - that's ridiculous these days when there are so many different formations and systems at play.

The second bit requires Bielsa to use his name and lean on Pep, on Poch and on anyone else who claims to love him. We want players from City, from Spurs and from any of the big clubs so why not trade on who you are ?
I know he got a lot of stick but I would definitely sign Harrison again as he not only improved as the season went on but at his age and being settled at our club he should kick on again if he comes back for a second term. We can do better than Baker, Blackman and Brown (what was the point of him last year ?) and we absolutely MUST if we're to get promoted.

I just hope Bielsa learns as quickly as his players but fear he's either too stubborn or too proud to change his methodology even when the evidence is screaming at him to do so ..
Austin91
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Re: Two things Bielsa needs to do .. our season depends on i

Post by Austin91 »

rigger wrote: rotating the side more often
Couldn't agree more. I remember last season having the same starting eleven 4, maybe 5 times in a row at points. Within that, there were several players i felt didn't deserve their spot, with others deserving to replacement. How many times did Shackleton come on and change a game,or even Clarke, then be benched again for the next game?

I do believe he will change this, if anything due to our injruies suffered. It was no coincide to me that someone would come back from injury, play multiple games in a row (often out neccessity maybe), and then be straigth back on the doctors table. I'm not sure i would be despite for loads of signings like you say, but greater use of the youth with a few big moneys would be great for me.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Re: Two things Bielsa needs to do .. our season depends on i

Post by johnh »

I agree with Rigger and would add that playing the same team regardless, doesn't take account of who you are playing and particularly, their tactics.
I once played against Don Revie.