Victor Orta & his transfer strategy

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 5081

Re: Victor Orta & his transfer strategy

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

phil62 wrote:
lufctrav wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Just looking through the players we class as first team. The following Jansson, Ayling, Roofe, Klich & Hernandez were all Monk signings. The only ‘ first teamers ‘recruited by Orta are Casilla & Douglas, makes you think :roll:
Alioski, Saiz (first team before being loaned out with family issues) and Bamford i would also class as first team players.
Was Klich not an Orta signing? Joined June 23. Orta arrived at the end of May and Monk had already left.

I understand your point but it took Roofe 3 seasons to make his mark at Leeds. Many supporters would've happily seen him go for a few mill only 12 months ago.
I still would. Roofe is not good enough
I think Roofe has come on leaps and bounds in the past twelve months, He was scoring goals for fun until he got his long term injury and although he came back he wasn't able to bang in many more mainly due to that absence from actual play. This year both he and Bamford should provide us with good firepower and hopefully with another quality addition or one of the youngsters to help out we should do a lot better. We shall see though.
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

I think Roofe massively suffered not just from his injury, but also from Saiz leaving.
Roofe's main strength is his movement, he needs a clever/quality supply line, otherwise he is making runs that never get seen or rewarded, which must get very frustrating.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

If Roofe had stayed fit all season he would have fired us into the PL.
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

phil62 wrote:
lufctrav wrote:
NottinghamWhite wrote:Just looking through the players we class as first team. The following Jansson, Ayling, Roofe, Klich & Hernandez were all Monk signings. The only ‘ first teamers ‘recruited by Orta are Casilla & Douglas, makes you think :roll:
Alioski, Saiz (first team before being loaned out with family issues) and Bamford i would also class as first team players.
Was Klich not an Orta signing? Joined June 23. Orta arrived at the end of May and Monk had already left.

I understand your point but it took Roofe 3 seasons to make his mark at Leeds. Many supporters would've happily seen him go for a few mill only 12 months ago.
I still would. Roofe is not good enough
Wrong. Just wrong. His movement is invaluable. He's an incredibly clever forward, whose movements makes space for others, as well as himself. Vital to the system. Not to mention how he leads the press.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I know what you mean, Si, and given that movement and fitness are key to playing for Bielsa he's a very important player for us.
I do like him now, but like Phil intimated I would've got shot of him this time last year.

But all that begs the question what Bielsa sees in Bamford, who's hardly fleet-footed, is he ?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Now I'm thinking about both McCormack and Beckford, neither of whom I rated too highly because fundamentally I think poachers are passengers and prefer goals to be spread throughout the team rather than purely one player.

Imagine what Bielsa could've made of them and now put him in a time machine and imagine him with Gazza, Beardsley and Lineker to play with in the late 80s/early 90s England squad ? And Des Walker .. blimey :D
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

PC71 wrote:I think Roofe massively suffered not just from his injury, but also from Saiz leaving.
Roofe's main strength is his movement, he needs a clever/quality supply line, otherwise he is making runs that never get seen or rewarded, which must get very frustrating.
I have to admit I am not a Saiz fan given what he delivered in the time he was with us. He started both seasons brightly enough but the started to fizzle out by November and from that point on he was more a passenger in the team than a driver.

His suspect temperament was always a problem. I think Marcelo Bielsa quickly worked out that he was too high maintenance. There might well be some truth about his personal reasons to want to leave but the arrangement suited both parties. I would be amazed if we see him in a Leeds United shirt again. I'd be happy with that
Keep The Faith / WAL
saihtam
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by saihtam »

PC71 wrote:I think Roofe massively suffered not just from his injury, but also from Saiz leaving.
This is my main worry for now. I know we needed to bolster our wings, but I want quality play-maker in mid, Pablo does not has legs for it and Saiz is just Saiz...
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

saihtam wrote:
This is my main worry for now. I know we needed to bolster our wings, but I want quality play-maker in mid, Pablo does not has legs for it and Saiz is just Saiz...
I suspect with the quality of wide players we now have at our disposal, including (Alioski/ Douglas) bombing on from left back, the Saiz #10 role may be dispensed with in favour of a more defensive alternative like Forshaw.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

It will be really interesting to look at the P&L of the under 23’s over the past & next 2 years. Radz has been hugely supportive of a strategy to recruit at this level, at significant cost, funds which ultimately may have been better spent elsewhere.

There is a school of thought that says an 18 / 19 year old who is not close to our first team squad now is never going to breakthrough. None, as yet have made the breakthrough, whilst academy players Clarke, BPF, Shackleton have overtaken the initial recruits in their development.

Clearly there may be benefit financially if we are deliberately following a lower grade Chelsea strategy of loaning out players to league 1 & 2. The picture is particularly puzzling when we recruit on loan a reserve centre back from Brighton who’s played a dozen or so games in League 1, sell Halme & appear to be on the verge of selling Wilks who was one of the stand out players in league 1 last season.

As teams like Huddersfield & Brentford abandon their academies to pick off the best of the crop which has been discarded elsewhere, it is questionable wether we should have adopted the opposite strategy whilst financially pressed; and abandoned the under 23s; with academy graduates, immediately added to the first team squad or loaned out (long & short term) & showcased to either return to the fold or to be sold on at a later date.