QSI interest and potential investment discussion thread

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.

Do you care who stumps up the money so long as we get it ?

1. No, I don't care. We've been down here too long and I'd willingly sell my soul to the devil if it meant Premiership football.
41%
2. I'm in two minds : I'm sick of being in this division, but I would prefer someone local to own the club.
41%
3. I care very much and am against state-ownership of clubs and the commercial direction all sports are taking, not to mention the human rights angle.
18%

Total votes: 56

sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Re: QSI interest and potential investment discussion thread

Post by sgt_pooly »

rigger wrote:
sgt_pooly wrote: I live in the Middle East and don't really get the anger towards Qatar, this talk of dirty money etc is a little wide of the mark.
https://www.smithslawyers.com.au/post/t ... ld-cup-yet

As estimated 1200-4000 deaths of migrant construction worked might be one reason ..
Estimated is the key word here.

I'm not saying things are fine, because they are not, but this is quite a vague report. Without a real investigation from a credible source it's hard to know exactly is going on.

Since my time here, I've seen a huge improvement in human rights and it's slowly getting up to the standard it should be. They've got rid of these open back buses/transporters that used to be extremely dangerous and replaced them with buses and mini vans and the accommodation/conditions have improved too. Just a few points that I'd like to add though:

- Many of these workers come from very poor backrounds in Bangladesh, India, Nepal etc. They earn much more than they could in their home countries and live in similar conditions to what they would at home. What is shocking for us, is quite often the norm for these guys.

- I've seen this myself - most of the cash they earn is sent back to the families and the workers often leave themselves short month by month. This results in begging and in some cases malnutrition. To counter this, there is usually at least one meal put on a day in the camps.

- Working in heat - Not a chance I could do what they do, but again, they are often somewhat used to this. You generally don't see any outside work being done between the peak hours too, say 11-3pm.

- Suicides - Not a savory topic but this is something I hear about a lot. The main culprit out here is the workers getting into alcohol or getting a girlfriend of some sorts and then getting caught. Things like this bring great shame onto individuals and it's not the same as our culture.

"women stoned to death together today more or less an everyday occurrence in KSA ...a reality of Arab / Muslim culture."

Not at all isrodger, this is a very poor example which I see a lot.

Do not mention Saudi and then blanket the whole Arab/Muslim (2 very different things I might add) world with these things. There's almost 2 billion Muslims in the world, pretty much a 1/3 of the worlds population, this doesn't happen in 99% of countries. Saudi is a completely different topic altogether and one I know little about if I'm honest.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not having a go at anyone. I just want to try and balance the argument a little, I'm not expecting to change anyone's opinion etc. I just find a lot of the reporting in the Western world as sensationalist and often wide of the mark. In contract, you'll never see a bad word written about things in Qatar!
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

sgt_pooly wrote:
rigger wrote:
sgt_pooly wrote: I live in the Middle East and don't really get the anger towards Qatar, this talk of dirty money etc is a little wide of the mark.
https://www.smithslawyers.com.au/post/t ... ld-cup-yet

As estimated 1200-4000 deaths of migrant construction worked might be one reason ..
Estimated is the key word here.

I'm not saying things are fine, because they are not, but this is quite a vague report. Without a real investigation from a credible source it's hard to know exactly is going on.

Since my time here, I've seen a huge improvement in human rights and it's slowly getting up to the standard it should be. They've got rid of these open back buses/transporters that used to be extremely dangerous and replaced them with buses and mini vans and the accommodation/conditions have improved too. Just a few points that I'd like to add though:

- Many of these workers come from very poor backrounds in Bangladesh, India, Nepal etc. They earn much more than they could in their home countries and live in similar conditions to what they would at home. What is shocking for us, is quite often the norm for these guys.

- I've seen this myself - most of the cash they earn is sent back to the families and the workers often leave themselves short month by month. This results in begging and in some cases malnutrition. To counter this, there is usually at least one meal put on a day in the camps.

- Working in heat - Not a chance I could do what they do, but again, they are often somewhat used to this. You generally don't see any outside work being done between the peak hours too, say 11-3pm.

- Suicides - Not a savory topic but this is something I hear about a lot. The main culprit out here is the workers getting into alcohol or getting a girlfriend of some sorts and then getting caught. Things like this bring great shame onto individuals and it's not the same as our culture.

"women stoned to death together today more or less an everyday occurrence in KSA ...a reality of Arab / Muslim culture."

Not at all isrodger, this is a very poor example which I see a lot.

Do not mention Saudi and then blanket the whole Arab/Muslim (2 very different things I might add) world with these things. There's almost 2 billion Muslims in the world, pretty much a 1/3 of the worlds population, this doesn't happen in 99% of countries. Saudi is a completely different topic altogether and one I know little about if I'm honest.

Sorry for the rant, I'm not having a go at anyone. I just want to try and balance the argument a little, I'm not expecting to change anyone's opinion etc. I just find a lot of the reporting in the Western world as sensationalist and often wide of the mark. In contract, you'll never see a bad word written about things in Qatar!
I think you will find my example is valid given I qualify by adding Arab / Muslim countries and specifically refer to KSA. In my experience religious & Sexual intolerance in the Middle East is the order of the day, with Persians and the lebonease being the most liberal and closest to western culture. The Hypocrisy that exists in the GCC has to be seen to be believed, where devout Muslims flout religious laws whilst tourists are locked up for lesser offences... possibly ask that snake that got his comeuppance David Haigh.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

sgt_pooly wrote:

Well said Sgt P :thumbup:

Lets keep on topic and stick to Qatar, they are who we are discussing here.

Stereotyping a full religion is plain daft and racist.
Using a total different country to get a point across is pointless.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

sgt_pooly wrote: Sorry for the rant, I'm not having a go at anyone. I just want to try and balance the argument a little, I'm not expecting to change anyone's opinion etc. I just find a lot of the reporting in the Western world as sensationalist and often wide of the mark. In contract, you'll never see a bad word written about things in Qatar!
Thank you for your input - sometimes you only get one side of the story. Often in press is the imposition of western values, when each country has the right to their own views/culture. If I went to go live/work in another country then I would expect to live by the laws of that country, if I disagreed with them then that should be a factor on me moving. In the past I have known people go work out in Saudi for 3x or more the salary they would get here, with the aim of doing for a set time before returning and they are aware and abided by the laws when they were there. Just as people moving to the UK would expect to live by the laws of the land even if they disagreed with them (demonstrations outside a certain school come to mind).

At this stage we still don't know if QSI will become involved, and I suppose if they do fans can make their own mind up then. So are people aiming to not watch WC2022, if QSI invest in Leeds will they stop watching Leeds, if QSI become the new owners once we go up will they stop watching Leeds?
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Nic wrote:
At this stage we still don't know if QSI will become involved, and I suppose if they do fans can make their own mind up then. So are people aiming to not watch WC2022, if QSI invest in Leeds will they stop watching Leeds, if QSI become the new owners once we go up will they stop watching Leeds?
Not me but possibly some, I know a few that refused to go in the past when they objected to our owners (thinking mainly Bates era).
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I don't think anyone else has mentioned religion at all in this thread apart from ISR.

Why bring up the term muslim at all ?

We're specifically talking here about Qatar but the argument against QSI's investment could extend to any of the petro-states in the area and none of that has to do with the Quran or Islam or religion at all.
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

I'm not planning to watch WC2022 (when it gets to the time will I get caught up in the event??? Can't say). As to QSI, what level of objection is there at the moment will there be any protests etc ongoing if they become involved.

I tend to separate politics and football and it really depends on how they are involved. If I was a Man City fan I would be going because I feel they have done right by the club, even if they have been accused of "sportswashing" by the likes of Amnesty. People still need to be made aware of the issues and it can lead to change in those countries. Lots of people objected to Bates because of how he treat the club selling players etc, which was frustrating.

Owners and many players are far detached from the fans, which is why I applauded Bielsa when he made the team pick up litter at the training ground to give an understanding of the amount of work an average fan might need to do to go see them play.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

rigger wrote:I don't think anyone else has mentioned religion at all in this thread apart from ISR.

We're specifically talking here about Qatar but the argument against QSI's investment could extend to any of the petro-states in the area and none of that has to do with the Quran or Islam or religion at all.
Nothing to do with religion. It’s all about religion in those states. I have been very specific in terming Arab / Muslim countries, rather than Persian states in the Middle East, which in my view are a lot more moderate. Even in the politically correct sanitised world we live in, you can not separate Religion from practices in the Arab world that most would find utterly deplorable in the UK.

Why were two women stoned to death in KSA because Islamic law forbids homosexuality. Why is a women being stoned to death today ...Islamic law deems this a fit punishment for infidelity. Men will be executed for blasphemy. You could not freely practise your religion in most parts of the Middle East. Example - I supplied Barca product into KSA we had to redesign packaging without the Barca badge as it has a cross on it. A billboard with Messi on it was pulled down in Ryad for the same reason.

Islamic law actually rides roughshod over Women’s, Workers, Religious & Homosexuals rights, however our politicians will happily glad hand the rulers of these countries, whilst protesting against the POTUS!

If you visit Dubai, you will witness the hypocrisy first hand. Drunk Arabs will cavort with prostitutes in the glitzy hotel bars, in the same regime tourists women who have been raped have been imprisoned under ISLAMIC LAW for having sex outside marriage.

Rigger you was the one who took the moral high ground as regards Qatari ownership - fine your entitled to your view. My view is the Dirty money you refer to with reference to workers rights is the tip of the iceberg. The bigger issue being Islamic law and the intolerance that comes with it in the Middle East.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

isrodger wrote:
rigger wrote:I don't think anyone else has mentioned religion at all in this thread apart from ISR.

Islamic law actually rides roughshod over Women’s, Workers, Religious & Homosexuals rights, however our politicians will happily glad hand the rulers of these countries, whilst protesting against the POTUS!

The bigger issue being Islamic law and the intolerance that comes with it in the Middle East.
ISR, do you actually know anything about 'Islamic law' or Islam as a whole? As has Sgt Pooly mentioned already, there are 2 billion Muslims worldwide - you really do need to be careful making sweeping statements like this about a quarter of the population of the planet. We all need to learn to separate the actions of states and companies from the faith and its followers.

As a regular reader and irregular poster on here I'm tempted to ask the mods to close this thread, it's got totally out of hand and become both racist, xenophobic and deeply personal to other members. Not at all what I love about this forum and it's tolerance and inclusiveness.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
sgt_pooly
George Graham's Crombie cleaner

Post by sgt_pooly »

I think you're going way way off topic here ISR and opening up a whole can of worms which shouldn't necessarily be discussed on a football forum.

I think we should take the earlier advice, move on and stick to the subject.