FFP

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Re: FFP

Post by Leonickroberts »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
Grumpy wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote:You do know that Bielsa admitted he had done wrong and that he paid the £200k fine because he felt it was the right thing to do?
He didn’t admit he had done wrong with prior knowledge. He said that what he did was common practice where he comes from but accepted, when it was pointed out AFTER the event, that it was not common practice here and that if it was wrong, he apologised. He paid the fine himself because he said it was at his direction that the ‘observing’ took place and not the club’s.
On another forum it was also said by an alleged insider that the club were relieved it was 'only' £200k.

The point is that lots of fans go on about the unfairness of the fine but no one in the club does.
Exactly ANS.

This is all backing up my point - I just don't think we can justifiably get annoyed with other clubs finding ways of circumventing weak rules to provide a more stable financial footing for themselves. Breaking a law is different to finding a way around it that's legal but frowned upon.

Unless there's a similarly vague rule/law in the FFP regulations to the one that Bielsa 'broke', I don't think the comparison is particularly useful. Comparing Cellino and the fit and proper owner test to Derby's circumvention of FFP is though. Both should have failed/been shown to be breaking the laws, but as a result of their weakness they didn't. Until the EFL has both FFP and ownership laws that are fit for purpose, clubs and individuals will keep doing this.

I just get mildly irritated when people complain about how Leeds get treated especially badly while other clubs get away with it. I really don't think this has been the case historically, whatever it might feel like. Incidentally, the last 3 EFL chiefs have been Leeds fans.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
blackbox2342
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by blackbox2342 »

The news regarding Boro suing the EFL is very interesting. It is definitely one to watch. If they are successful I think it will be of benefit to clubs like ours in the long run and for the game as a whole.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

blackbox2342 wrote:The news regarding Boro suing the EFL is very interesting. It is definitely one to watch. If they are successful I think it will be of benefit to clubs like ours in the long run and for the game as a whole.
If it does nothing more than make those in position of power and decision making to realise that football clubs are simply not going to roll over and take their punishment without any question this is a great move. Boro might not agree but the outcome is irrelevant
Keep The Faith / WAL