Ross McCormack named captain

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Re: Ross McCormack named captain

Post by mapperleywhite »

Regarding leadership on the pitch McD is between a rock and a hard place.

I've only been watching from afar, but I never see any Leeds player really agitated/angry when something goes wrong and not to plan. They just hang their heads.

So his only choice has been to base the captaincy on ability, ie setting an example. Rudy, I imagine, was picked for his relentless effort in all parts of the pitch, irrespective of his contribution to the overall team effort. Let's hope relieving the weight of the captain's armband allows Rudy to focus on areas of his game where he clearly has talent.

Ross, as leading goalscorer in the Championship falls into the same category, so the same logic in McD's appointment.

My concern would be that he finds the responsibility too much of a distraction from popping the ball in the net. He's had his 'purple patch' of goals this season, is it over?

In our golden years, we had natural leaders like Bremner, Strachan and Radebe. I'm scratching my head, because I don't see captains like that in today's game.
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

Costy wrote:The only thing I remember about kebe from his reading days was in a bad tempered game against west ham he received the ball, put his foot on it and started pulling his socks up. Very arrogant and pointless thing to do. If I remember rightly noble clattered him and got sent off. An understandable reaction to an unimpressive action.
It was Collison, not Noble.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I agree with you, mapperleywhite, we do seem to lack a leader in recent games who galvanises the players when the chips are down. Before, form dictated confidence and gave us the push to come back from a goal or two down. But now, with poorer and poorer results, our heads have fallen and we have no leader to get them back up. What we need is an experienced leader whose played at the highest level and has the mental toughness that rubs off on his teammates when we need it. We need a matador to lead the team.
Costy
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Costy »

SiMamu wrote:
Costy wrote:The only thing I remember about kebe from his reading days was in a bad tempered game against west ham he received the ball, put his foot on it and started pulling his socks up. Very arrogant and pointless thing to do. If I remember rightly noble clattered him and got sent off. An understandable reaction to an unimpressive action.
It was Collison, not Noble.
Fair enough, I don't remember it quite rightly. The point still stands. I saw it as disrespectful and arrogant rather than funny, and thought he deserved his subsequent whack.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

1964white wrote: Sorry Sheepy I have never considered Austin as a good footballer since we signed him, only my opinion & i'll say no more on the subject as my comments obviously come across as unfair & unjust with folk on here !
Mate, I respect your opinion on his footballing attributes but my particular gripe was when you labelled him as our worst ever captain! He's not been great, but as I said I can pick out two other worst candidates who were far worse.

We all can't agree on everything so please don't take it as me having a go at you, its just a difference of opinion :)

At the end of the day, if Austin plays a blinder for the rest of the season, we'll be both as happy as a pig in Pooh!
Green Boi
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Green Boi »

Davycc wrote:
Hahaaaaa))) Beautiful guy :clap: I enjoyed)
So... there is a football! Let's play.
mapperleywhite
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by mapperleywhite »

SiMamu wrote:I agree with you, mapperleywhite, we do seem to lack a leader in recent games who galvanises the players when the chips are down. Before, form dictated confidence and gave us the push to come back from a goal or two down. But now, with poorer and poorer results, our heads have fallen and we have no leader to get them back up. What we need is an experienced leader whose played at the highest level and has the mental toughness that rubs off on his teammates when we need it. We need a matador to lead the team.
Matador? means killer in Spanish. Perhaps líder would be more apt.......
Might have to take an interest in the Premier League now....
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

mapperleywhite wrote:
SiMamu wrote:I agree with you, mapperleywhite, we do seem to lack a leader in recent games who galvanises the players when the chips are down. Before, form dictated confidence and gave us the push to come back from a goal or two down. But now, with poorer and poorer results, our heads have fallen and we have no leader to get them back up. What we need is an experienced leader whose played at the highest level and has the mental toughness that rubs off on his teammates when we need it. We need a matador to lead the team.
Matador? means killer in Spanish. Perhaps líder would be more apt.......
I was actually casually implying we might need to bring Diouf back, of whom was called a 'matador' by Neil Warnock last year :oops:.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I've got an idea ...

We always used to be known as (among other things) a highly innovative club under Don Revie: the changing of the strip, the sock tags, the names on the tracksuits, the introduction of a distinctive rather than generic away kit and the subsequent embracing of all kinds of merchandising years ahead of the curve are all obvious examples off the top of my head.

How about we create another one ?

On the continent, particularly in international football, there's no permanent captain, but rather it's either the player with the most caps or the one who's the oldest. It's less important and puts more emphasis on there being a team ethic which I actually like. It also means the captain can be dropped (or "rested" :)) without too much fuss - I think it's a terrible thing to admit but I am actually hoping Stevie G picks up a minor injury around May that rules him out for the summer because, as is the case with his club side now, he make the England team weaker when he's a part of it.

So how about we rotate the captaincy every match ?
Like someone else said, we have over half a dozen senior pro's with the experience of skippering a side, plus think how proud a youngster like Mowatt would be leading the team out one week ?
As it's only one match in every twenty or so, given modern rotation (alright, maybe 12 or 13 in our case !) there wouldn't be any problems with it going to a player's head either in a positive (Billy Big Boots) or a negative (Pressure ! Responsibility !) way.

In fact, I can't see any downside to it at all.

It would put us on the map again too ...