MB case for the defence

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

MB case for the defence

Post by Selby White »

Looking at next season using statistics I believe we have reasons to be positive. Last season we scored 73 and conceded 50 goals which together are not good enough.
So how can we improve ?
This thread will look at the defence where we all have concerns (will look at the scoring part on another thread)

Many of us were surprised that Pontus was allowed to go (and natural successor Haalme) leaving us without a genuine big guy at the back.
We now see that as a weakness but statistics from last term don’t actually back that up. We do know MB is happy to play defensive midfielders (Phillips) or fullbacks (Berardi) in the centre of the defence perhaps we need to trust that judgement.
Ex 1 - With Pontus in the team we conceded significantly more goals per game than when he didn’t.
Ex 2 - Pontus played in every defeat.
Ex 3 - Pontus missed 5 of our clean sheet matches (think we kept 15 or so).

I think it’s a shock to all of us we will not going into the season with a domineering Centre Half its what most of us grew up with. I’m not saying he is a bad player (its not about the player but the style). I think he is a cracking player in an regular team set up where the onus is about a tight defence he will be solid.

Looking at the type of goals we concede there are two distinct areas, one where a big centre half is a benefit and that’s from crosses particular set pieces. Not having a Pontus type will cost us a few I’m sure and every time it happens I’m sure there will be some people blaming his sale. In truth yes he would stop some but even with a big man we would conceed a few like that.

The bigger concern is with our high press our defence is often exposed and our defenders need to be mobile and quick to cover each other and break up attacks (West Brom away was a big example of this). Why I believe MB is happy playing full backs and midfielders in the middle but more importantly why we now have Ben White.

As someone said in another thread the proof is in the pudding, concede more than 50 goals and we’ve got it wrong, concede less and it’s a great decision.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: MB case for the defence

Post by isrodger »

Jansson is a top defender at this level, he did add much needed physicality defensively. Additionally, a player with his attributes possibly contributes to 5 or 6 goals from corners, irrespective of wether he scores or not. I honestly believe the lack of height will cost us a net dozen goals this season. That said as you suggested a more mobile pacy centre back may make us less susceptible to counter attack goals like we conceded at Brentford. Jansson did also slow play down at times & he was also maybe less likely to follow Bielsa’s set plays.

White probably matches the way the team is to play, better than Jansson however what we gain in some attributes we will lose in others. We need strength, aerial dominance and leadership at the back and whilst a smaller guy can sometimes win out in ariel duals, he does need the benefit of a run up which isn’t always afforded in a crowded box.

We will see ... however I wish we had Monks defence !

Good post BTW
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:Jansson is a top defender at this level, he did add much needed physicality defensively. Additionally, a player with his attributes possibly contributes to 5 or 6 goals from corners, irrespective of wether he scores or not. I honestly believe the lack of height will cost us a net dozen goals this season. That said as you suggested a more mobile pacy centre back may make us less susceptible to counter attack goals like we conceded at Brentford. Jansson did also slow play down at times & he was also maybe less likely to follow Bielsa’s set plays.

White probably matches the way the team is to play, better than Jansson however what we gain in some attributes we will lose in others. We need strength, aerial dominance and leadership at the back and whilst a smaller guy can sometimes win out in ariel duals, he does need the benefit of a run up which isn’t always afforded in a crowded box.

Good post BTW
Thats the way i see it, there are two scenarios one that says we will miss having a big guy and it will cost us or the other that having a player that will suit our style better may enhance the overall performance.
Good point about set piece goals at the other end, that is a distinct possibility but again with a counter argument that a more flowing side will result in more goals from open play.

As you say "We willl see", results are the only true judgement.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote:Jansson is a top defender at this level, he did add much needed physicality defensively. Additionally, a player with his attributes possibly contributes to 5 or 6 goals from corners, irrespective of wether he scores or not. I honestly believe the lack of height will cost us a net dozen goals this season. That said as you suggested a more mobile pacy centre back may make us less susceptible to counter attack goals like we conceded at Brentford. Jansson did also slow play down at times & he was also maybe less likely to follow Bielsa’s set plays.

Good post BTW
Thats the way i see it, there are two scenarios one that says we will miss having a big guy and it will cost us or the other that having a player that will suit our style better may enhance the overall performance.
Good point about set piece goals at the other end, that is a distinct possibility but again with a counter argument that a more flowing side will result in more goals from open play.

As you say "We willl see", results are the only true judgement.
Honestly don't remember us being caught out 'aerially'last season without PJ in the side, though he was outmuscled by Clarke for Wigan when they beat us at ER. Nonetheless, PJ was in many opinions our best defender full stop. His height made him closest to the 'ideal' centre-half but the whole defence needed to improve and he was at fault too often when it mattered. Much rather we'd kept him but I'd much rather believe in the manager than the player.

Fingers crossed, Ben White is a gem about to shine for the Whites.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

It's a good point ANS we did OK defending crosses, hopefully this season will be the same.
I'm certainly feeling optimistic really can't wait for the season to start.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

The way we played last season, on the front foot if you will, meant that we needed the defence to be passing the ball with a high level of accuracy, confidence and perhaps with a bit of arrogance. We had high percentages where possession was concerned in most matches and so didn't need to rely on out and out defenders in the normal course of a game but time and again got found out when defending set pieces. On a couple of occasions we got ripped to pieces and these were occasions when teams came out and attacked us. What was needed was those in midfield and up front to convert more of the possession into goals! :problem:

That Pontus has been sold off is not going to be that much of a problem providing that Ben White can step up IMHO. It still is not comforting to look at the senior candidates that might be selected to play in the back line; Cooper had a decent last season but lacks composure (never fills me with any confidence), Berardi looks as reckless & brainless as ever, Ayling can't seem to stay fit and Douglas came to us with glowing references and fell well short last season. After that we look at the likes of Alioski and Dallas to play at the back. Or play the kids. :wtf:

The powers that be have deemed what we have sufficient or all that we can afford and still there are rumours about departures - Phillips and Casillas today - and kick off is 6 days away.

Interesting times Boys & Girls! :D
Keep The Faith / WAL