Take Us Home: Leeds United

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Take Us Home: Leeds United

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve finished it now, and I was a little bit disappointed with it.

I thought there would be more in the changing rooms, showing Bielsa speaking to the players (a bit like Guardiola in the Man City one), more of the interaction in the boardroom. Instead, we got some supporters saying the club means more to them than their kids (that’s either bravado, blatant lying or they need to take a long hard look at themselves).

My favourite episodes were the Dan James non transfer, and the final one with Phillips, Ayling and Jansson in the training room discussing the Villa ‘goal’, where we did get to see behind the scenes stuff.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Wigwam
Luke Aylings Scrunchie maker

Post by Wigwam »

Yeah, forgot to say about the Dan James stuff. For me that was the most intriguing episode. I didn't realise just how close we were to signing him and it definitely wasn't for want of trying. In hindsight that could well have been the moment we didn't get promotion.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Barlow Boy wrote:I’ve finished it now, and I was a little bit disappointed with it.

I thought there would be more in the changing rooms, showing Bielsa speaking to the players (a bit like Guardiola in the Man City one), more of the interaction in the boardroom. Instead, we got some supporters saying the club means more to them than their kids (that’s either bravado, blatant lying or they need to take a long hard look at themselves).

My favourite episodes were the Dan James non transfer, and the final one with Phillips, Ayling and Jansson in the training room discussing the Villa ‘goal’, where we did get to see behind the scenes stuff.
I’m 4 in and totally agree with you ... great to watch as a fan, but a bit like a lufc / Radz advert. The only real insightful bit for me so far was Radz saying bielsa’s press conference was unnecessary. Got a couple of episodes to watch on a plane on my way home, however the cynic in me think it makes a good information memorandum for potential acquisitors of our club!
Nic
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by Nic »

It was definitely aimed at non UK football audience, maybe for potential investors or maybe to aim to get more overseas income. The explaining its a 46 game season, etc seemed strange, and there was far too much based on following a few fans for each of the games. Maybe parts of it are going to be summarised into a sales video.

I enjoyed it, watched a few times (couldn't wait for the missus to be ready to watch episodes so sneaked ahead and then watched again together :shh: ) and enjoyed the behind scenes better - hopefully more of that in season 2
Leicester White
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by Leicester White »

Agreed the appeal to non-football fans is great and will widen our audience. And who cares what script Crowe is reading, just listen to the sound... how cool is it that Gladiator is a Leeds fan? :-)
superfox
Simon Grayson's Hairdresser

Post by superfox »

I agree with everyone, this is more like an image/propaganda movie, with very little original/fly on the wall content unfortunately.
Looks like the Sunderland movie was an exception, and the typical football documentary is like this, a bit sterile advert for the club and the owner.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Another one to watch (I will start a new thread on it) you may have already seen it as it was from the start of last season but it is available for download on Sky now. EFL Special: Leading Leeds United. For anybody who doubts the ambition of Radz, the first 10 minutes of this program shows clearly how ambitious he is.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

Further to watching take us home which was poor, just watched Do you want to win - which I thought was much better. It’s worthy of note how successful we were having 2 solid centre backs and putting crosses in for 4 in the box... maybe bielsa should watch it!
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

isrodger wrote:Further to watching take us home which was poor, just watched Do you want to win - which I thought was much better. It’s worthy of note how successful we were having 2 solid centre backs and putting crosses in for 4 in the box... maybe bielsa should watch it!
Great times I agree but -

2 solid centre backs?
We conceded more winning the 2nd tear in 1990 (Wilkos 2nd) than we did last season.
Early signs this season is that we have improved further, the current rate is significantly better, promising I would say.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
isrodger

Post by isrodger »

Selby White wrote:
isrodger wrote:Further to watching take us home which was poor, just watched Do you want to win - which I thought was much better. It’s worthy of note how successful we were having 2 solid centre backs and putting crosses in for 4 in the box... maybe bielsa should watch it!
Great times I agree but -

2 solid centre backs?
We conceded more winning the 2nd tear in 1990 (Wilkos 2nd) than we did last season.
Early signs this season is that we have improved further, the current rate is significantly better, promising I would say.
Actually your probably right about the centre backs was thinking more of when whyte came along. That said fairclough was absolutely class in Div 2 and actually haddock who had been garbage briefly looked decent.

Regardless I feel the major difference is not only did we have the best manager in the division we had the best team of players, with 5 or so being top half of Div 1 quality. We were head and shoulders he best side in the division. Whilst we may have the best manager and team, I don’t think our playing staff man for man is possibly as good as the likes of Fulham and WBA. Added to that this side might not have the same mental fortitude and Wilko was more pragmatic - he was prepared to win ugly, we could mix it with the best.

We will see this side is certainly a joy to watch, I just set pieces will be ur downfall, as highlighted with the goals against Forest & Swansea.