Jordan Stevens

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Jordan Stevens

Post by PhoenixUnited »

From time to time LUFC and some of its employees like to give the authorities an opportunity to make a decision. Given that opportunity those in charge seem always to make sure that whatever punishment is meted out is somehow special.

In the case of young Stevens it comprises banning a 19-year-old footballer for 6 weeks and a £1200 fine so that he cannot even participate in training or interact with the club’s staff for breaching betting regulations. What the boy did was incredibly stupid and something that you imagine that the Club would have made huge efforts to make sure that everyone knows is wrong and cannot happen.

The Club are complaining that the punishment is excessive. But I go back to my original point - why give the authorities a decision to make? :roll: :crazy:
Keep The Faith / WAL
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Jordan Stevens

Post by dlw10 »

PhoenixUnited wrote:From time to time LUFC and some of its employees like to give the authorities an opportunity to make a decision. Given that opportunity those in charge seem always to make sure that whatever punishment is meted out is somehow special.

In the case of young Stevens it comprises banning a 19-year-old footballer for 6 weeks and a £1200 fine so that he cannot even participate in training or interact with the club’s staff for breaching betting regulations. What the boy did was incredibly stupid and something that you imagine that the Club would have made huge efforts to make sure that everyone knows is wrong and cannot happen.

The Club are complaining that the punishment is excessive. But I go back to my original point - why give the authorities a decision to make? :roll: :crazy:
Agree 100% - the only thing you can say is that he is only a 19 year old lad at the end of the day. I read the detailed reasons given for the decision (it's a file attached to the FAs statement) and it's hard to argue he's not been dealt with fairly - he placed a bet, including on a Leeds game, believe it or not just 2 days after sitting through a briefing on this very subject as well as all the other 58 bets he placed! Mindless!
I don't know whether the club made up their comments about him being bored and not settling easily in Leeds to try to appeal to the FAs hearts but it was a stupid act albeit by a young lad who no doubt has to think about very little in organising his life! The one thing the club was annoyed by, and I agree with, was the fact of stopping him training and keeping away from club staff - and as they point out that punishment was made by two ex pro footballers who surely to God would know the effect that will have on Stevens mental well being. He's thus prevented from being active in the one thing keeping him away from temptation for at least part of the day! The players are Stuart Ripley (who had a good career ) and Udo Onwere who I confess I don't remember at all (played for Fulham in the early 90s).
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I agree 99% with both above posts. But I cannot accept the 'only' being 19 is any excuse whatsoever. When I think back to when I was 19, I knew exactly what my responsibilities were. If he had been 16 or 17 then it might have been a mitigating factor. I think he got exactly what he deserved. Its now up to him to apply some discipline to his life and he's the only one who can do it.
I once played against Don Revie.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

After reading the F A statement, I’d suggest he’s been dealt with more than fairly, he could have been banned for 12 months.

Yes, he was only 18 years old (at the time of the first offence), but 5 bets were on Leeds, admittedly 3 of which were on a Leeds win, but the other two were on both teams to score. He couldn’t influence the both teams to score bet as he didn’t play, but you can see where the FA are coming from.

The sad bit for me is the fact he’s now got a ‘record’ for such minimal amount of money involved, i.e £510 staked over 59 bets, average £8.64 per bet.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

johnh wrote:I agree 99% with both above posts. But I cannot accept the 'only' being 19 is any excuse whatsoever. When I think back to when I was 19, I knew exactly what my responsibilities were. If he had been 16 or 17 then it might have been a mitigating factor. I think he got exactly what he deserved. Its now up to him to apply some discipline to his life and he's the only one who can do it.
If you think about when you were in your teens can you remember what your cash flow was like? I probably will sound like an old #### but the life of a young footballer and their income levels are extraordinary. All the same not everyone is sensible and level headed.

Best thing for young Stevens is that he learns and moves on. Perhaps it will focus the minds of others like him. For today anyway!
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

He's been punished i hope the lad moves on. Thankfully we are not all lemmings and some people are more susceptible to addictions (if that's what you want to call it?) If someone is alone and bored and perhaps looking for cheap thrills then signing up to a Gambling site is probably not for you, especially at the age of 19. Hindsight is always a wonderful thing.

I don't know who is going to police his ban from all football for 6 weeks? But personally i would allow him to train using American Soccer rules.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
johnh wrote:I agree 99% with both above posts. But I cannot accept the 'only' being 19 is any excuse whatsoever. When I think back to when I was 19, I knew exactly what my responsibilities were. If he had been 16 or 17 then it might have been a mitigating factor. I think he got exactly what he deserved. Its now up to him to apply some discipline to his life and he's the only one who can do it.
If you think about when you were in your teens can you remember what your cash flow was like? I probably will sound like an old #### but the life of a young footballer and their income levels are extraordinary. All the same not everyone is sensible and level headed.

Best thing for young Stevens is that he learns and moves on. Perhaps it will focus the minds of others like him. For today anyway!
Just a couple of points. When I was 19 you are right, I had the square root of sod all. Surely that makes the temptation to gamble stronger? My other point is, if his income levels are extraordinary, why the hell does he need to gamble?
I once played against Don Revie.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

The lad has loused up big time, no doubt about that, but the punishment is disproportionate to the 'crime' IMHO. Banning him from football activity for that long is ridiculous, plus I don't see what benefit it can have for his development or the Club's.

For you old school types who still watch television on televisions :P , this matter made the top line on BBC's (tele) text service yesterday, how ridiculous is that?
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

johnh wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:

Just a couple of points. When I was 19 you are right, I had the square root of sod all. Surely that makes the temptation to gamble stronger? My other point is, if his income levels are extraordinary, why the hell does he need to gamble?
Why do they do it? For 2 reasons IMHO - first that there is nothing going on between the ears - something that has existed in some more than others since time immemorial - and second because they have money to do anything (almost) they damn well please :crazy:

No doubt there will be another one along in no time...........
Keep The Faith / WAL
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Another Northern Soul wrote:For you old school types who still watch television on televisions :P ,
That would be me :D
Keep The Faith / WAL