Stuart Dallas

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Stuart Dallas

Post by isrodger »

Ayling offers a little more defensively particularly at set pieces. Dallas adds significantly more going forward, where Ayling consistently stopped in his tracks at the edge of the box rather than driving on into the box. So far so good, his form has been good, however it will be interesting to see how he fairs when up against a winger like the pair at Fulham, have to offer.

It’s also worthy of note that after half a dozen games at left back there were similar plaudits for Alioski, who I thought again looked poor against Barnsley, and should be replaced in my opinion by either Douglas or Davies.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

rigger wrote:I wrote this after the Swansea game after voting him MoM :
rigger wrote:I went for Dallas ...

He's like a luxury Andy Hughes in that he can play anywhere, always gives 100% but also is a much, much better player.

A poor man's Paul Madeley sounds a bit harsh on the lad, but it's not far off ..

I would actually like to see us play Dallas on the left wing and Costa on the right from the start of the match.
Have Phillips holding with Forshaw and Klich going box to box to support Bamford and play (slightly) more defensive fullbacks in Ayling and Douglas and see how that goes.
This quote Rigger sounds like you're on the same page as me, we seriously need to improve the quality of delivery from the wings. Pablo has ability we all know that and he is my favourite player but he is off the boil at the moment. Harrison just doesn't have the quality in his end product. I agree, Dallas and Costa would be good to see, especially with how much Dallas has improved, he could really flourish on the wing in this team.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

isrodger wrote:Ayling offers a little more defensively particularly at set pieces. Dallas adds significantly more going forward, where Ayling consistently stopped in his tracks at the edge of the box rather than driving on into the box. So far so good, his form has been good, however it will be interesting to see how he fairs when up against a winger like the pair at Fulham, have to offer.

It’s also worthy of note that after half a dozen games at left back there were similar plaudits for Alioski, who I thought again looked poor against Barnsley, and should be replaced in my opinion by either Douglas or Davies.
Agree with this bringing in Douglas, I said the same thing, the only thing we need to avoid, which just so happens to be the one thing Bielsa will never do anyway, is making too many changes at once and upsetting the balance. Gradually phased changes are what is required, just tinkering. However it is sometimes frustrating for us fans that he doesn't even do that unless forced.

Douglas in, Costa in, possibly Ayling in with Dallas at LW for Harrison, if not just Costa and Douglas for Harrison and Alioski.
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

I would like to see Dallas given a run as striker. I think he would have the same impact as he has at full back. He would put himself about as much as Bamford but has the additional skill of knowing where the net is.
I once played against Don Revie.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
isrodger wrote:Ayling offers a little more defensively particularly at set pieces. Dallas adds significantly more going forward, where Ayling consistently stopped in his tracks at the edge of the box rather than driving on into the box. So far so good, his form has been good, however it will be interesting to see how he fairs when up against a winger like the pair at Fulham, have to offer.

Agree with this bringing in Douglas, I said the same thing, the only thing we need to avoid, which just so happens to be the one thing Bielsa will never do anyway, is making too many changes at once and upsetting the balance. Gradually phased changes are what is required, just tinkering. However it is sometimes frustrating for us fans that he doesn't even do that unless forced.

Douglas in, Costa in, possibly Ayling in with Dallas at LW for Harrison, if not just Costa and Douglas for Harrison and Alioski.
For me the jury is still out for Douglas. There was seemingly surprise that Wolves let him go but on the evidence so far he has flattered to deceive; IMHO we have been short changed. He has been ordinary going forward and can't defend for toffee.

Harrison is a player that I imagined would be an eye opener this season but early doors seems to have progressed little from last season so his place must be at risk. Costa on the other hand deserves a run and Ayling should have a chance again

All said and done, it's nice to have options.
Keep The Faith / WAL
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

I just think he's fitter.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

What i have seen so far he's defo more consistent and he does look the fittest he's been with us. If he does it for another 2 seasons we may have a player on our hands. :D

Tbf to the lad he's always been in that utility bracket to patch things over rather than holding down a regular spot. Credit to MB (and who are we to question :shifty: ) for having faith in his ability to slot in at RB, i couldn't see it, his lack of pace always put me off. I agree that he's far more useful when he gets to the edge of the box than Ayling, but that's because he's a winger.

A fully fit Ayling still gets the nod from me. But all these positional conundrums are a pleasure to discuss. At long last we are starting to resemble a proper top to bottom outfit. We have come along way since Cellino and his Italian band of merry men.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Viduka Hits The Mark wrote: these positional conundrums are a pleasure to discuss. At long last we are starting to resemble a proper top to bottom outfit. We have come along way since Cellino and his Italian band of merry men.
We've come a heck of a way since the false dawn of the O'Leary time ;)
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

johnh wrote:I would like to see Dallas given a run as striker. I think he would have the same impact as he has at full back. He would put himself about as much as Bamford but has the additional skill of knowing where the net is.
I don't think he could play through the middle, but in the inside forward role he'd be good - this is an idea that's growing on me, especially when I think back to pre-season (either this or last, I can't remember) when he got two in two I think.

VHTM, I don't think Dallas is slow at all - he's quite quick, I thought :eh:
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

rigger wrote:
johnh wrote:I would like to see Dallas given a run as striker. I think he would have the same impact as he has at full back. He would put himself about as much as Bamford but has the additional skill of knowing where the net is.
I don't think he could play through the middle, but in the inside forward role he'd be good - this is an idea that's growing on me, especially when I think back to pre-season (either this or last, I can't remember) when he got two in two I think.

VHTM, I don't think Dallas is slow at all - he's quite quick, I thought :eh:
This season. :thumbup:
I once played against Don Revie.