Patrick Bamford

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Patrick Bamford

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Barlow Boy wrote:I didn’t see Bamford’s ‘celebration’ at the time, I was too busy trying to keep my balance, whilst jumping up and down on the seat in front and giving the Millwall fans some :D

He’s taken some stick, rightly so in my opinion, as I’ve said on here myself, this ‘he works hard’ business doesn’t wash with me, that’s the minimum I expect from a player of my team. He has missed chance, after chance, after chance, if he wants to give a bit back to the fans fine (Chris Wood did something similar) but be prepared to back it up in the next few weeks as fans in the stadium tend not to forget that sort of thing,
I think it's all gone a bit silly TBH, his 'celebration' and a lot of the fans' reaction to it. As has been said on here lots of times, he contributes a lot of good to the team but that good work can and has been spoiled by mediocre efforts on goal. I don't mind how he celebrates, it's good that he has something to celebrate :D

Said it before, he gets plenty more vocal support than any other 'scapegoat' so if he really is reacting to fans' criticism then he is being rather childish, isn't he?

I'm not the only one who thought he had a very good second half last night, and I personally believe he is fairly consistent in that form, but he's far from the complete striker.

ps I didn't vote for him but appreciate why plenty did :thumbup:
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Another Northern Soul wrote: Said it before, he gets plenty more vocal support than any other 'scapegoat' so if he really is reacting to fans' criticism then he is being rather childish, isn't he?
Very good point, everytime he misses a chance that du du du (spelling :D) chant comes out.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
psquithy
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by psquithy »

Maybe the noise of the happy crowd was too much for his earoles.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

I think as has been mentioned before, partly the crowd but I'm sure a lot of it was at the media ...only natural. Spur of the momment all rational goes out the window.
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

Like someone mentioned Woody did a few years ago and went on a scoring run, hopefully for Bamford he will do the same. With the celebration I have no problem with it, i would if he did a Mark Aizlewood one though! :silent:
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

Every time someone posts a snide comment, a bit of abuse, about Bamford, or any other Leeds player, it has a negative effect on their confidence. It may not seem like much, but it’s a steady drip, drip, drip that undermines a players ability and will to fight for the badge. Paddy’s goal celebration last night showed us all that he was aware of the abuse he’s faced, and it had obviously hurt him.

I’ve been appalled in recent weeks by the abuse that Bamford has received by our own so-called supporters, not so much here, but especially on Facebook and Twitter. Any player who steps over that line wearing our famous white shirt is a hero to me. They will have my eternal support and undying respect.

Sometimes they’ll be bathed in glory, but many times they’ll have to face failure or defeat. It’s up to us, as fans, to support them come what may. To carry them through the hardship to glory and victory!
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Barlow Boy wrote:
Another Northern Soul wrote: Said it before, he gets plenty more vocal support than any other 'scapegoat' so if he really is reacting to fans' criticism then he is being rather childish, isn't he?
Very good point, everytime he misses a chance that du du du (spelling :D) chant comes out.
Absolutely spot on ... example on Tuesday when he missed a golden opportunity early on and the south stand immediately responded accordingly. I think there’s a reference to him being called streaky, as his goals come in streaks; let’s hope this is the start of one such streak.

All players thrive on confidence, particularly forwards. One observation, Bamford seems a nice, well mannered rounded lad, maybe he just lacks that degree of self belief/ arrogance to be a top striker. If you think of Sniffer, Shearer and Lineaker (who in person can be far removed from his TV image) they all had that swagger / arrogance / nastiness about themselves.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

isrodger wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:
Absolutely spot on ... example on Tuesday when he missed a golden opportunity early on and the south stand immediately responded accordingly. I think there’s a reference to him being called streaky, as his goals come in streaks; let’s hope this is the start of one such streak.

All players thrive on confidence, particularly forwards. One observation, Bamford seems a nice, well mannered rounded lad, maybe he just lacks that degree of self belief/ arrogance to be a top striker. If you think of Sniffer, Shearer and Lineaker (who in person can be far removed from his TV image) they all had that swagger / arrogance / nastiness about themselves.
I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I've always said he lacks the aggressive nature of a lot of forwards but also as you say the arrogance and that 'edge'. It can come in arrogance like shearer etc (or my preferred example viduka) or it can come in aggressiveness like Smith, Suarez, Tevez.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

HalifaxWhite wrote:
isrodger wrote:
Barlow Boy wrote:

I think you've hit the nail on the head here. I've always said he lacks the aggressive nature of a lot of forwards but also as you say the arrogance and that 'edge'. It can come in arrogance like shearer etc (or my preferred example viduka) or it can come in aggressiveness like Smith, Suarez, Tevez.
Oh yes - Sniffer Clarke. Used to play without shin pads but rarely did defenders come and have a dig because they knew they'd get it back with interest and he was sneaky with it :lol:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 5081

Post by Deleted User 5081 »

rigger wrote:It's not cupping but covering... You were right with your first assessment I think.
He is being a bit childish in my opinion. reacting to the crowd in an ill manner, rather than understanding the frustrations the fans feel. Fans are paying a lot of money to see the team week in week out, not just at the stadium but in the sports shops buying merchandise etc. I have been vocal against fans who get on his back and scapegoating him as i see its not good for him or the team in general, but, I do agree he is not performing to the standards he should be regarding his goal return rate per chances he gets.

Killer instinct? Not many modern forwards up and down the country have it to be fair. PB certainly has an eye for goal, he has two of them, but the reality is his feet don't connect too well with the ball. He is at best a Championship player and has always been that for me, but while he's a Leeds United player I will always hope he gets us the goals we need to get promoted.

Sometimes the size of our club and the reputation we have doesn't help our cause as the expectation levels are in excess of the players qualities. We are a team these days and its taken 16 years to get a team together after the Ridsdale era. we've gone down a very long and hard road to finally feel we are worth a chance at the Premiership and in truth... Rightly so.... We're the best team in the league, unfortunately our firepower is what has let us down. I'm glad that we finally went out and got two really good players to counter that.

I believe if Bielsa can somehow move away from being PB's baby sitter and have a rotation with Big Kev, and PB we could very well be a Premier team in 5 months time. We have the credentials to do it now. Lets just do it.