Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Polkadot
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by Polkadot »

rigger wrote:
Polkadot wrote:Does the same go about being an idiot? Either you say stuff that are idiotic and you are an idiot or you don’t?

By your logic, how have Kiko been able to play together with colored men over a long career?
Two things : "colored" is outdated. You can say "of colour" when referring to a person or you can say black, mixed-race, African-American, West Indian, etc depending on where they're from.
Secondly, they're not the same thing at all.

You're not going to end up in court because you said something idiotic, are you ?
It's like killing someone a bit - you either kill them or you don't.
I am like Kiko, English is not my native language. Direct translated colored would be what we say here without being negative bearing.

I think you are very wrong with what you said earlier about it’s either black or white (funny huh?), and not any grey areas. I think there is nothing in this world that should be thought of without context. Like he situation with Bernardo Silva and Mendy. Or your example with killing. Sometimes people get killed in accident where it’s wrong to call the killer a murder. I understand this subject is sensitive and I don’t want to go deeper into it, but I think it’s fair to say that people look at things differently and I think it’s wrong to say stuff like you said earlier about “either you can’t have any of it or you’re a racist” because that by that logic I am racist in your eyes because I want the full information about what we’re said and in which context.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Polkadot wrote: I am like Kiko, English is not my native language. Direct translated colored would be what we say here without being negative bearing.

I think you are very wrong with what you said earlier about it’s either black or white (funny huh?), and not any grey areas. I think there is nothing in this world that should be thought of without context. Like he situation with Bernardo Silva and Mendy. Or your example with killing. Sometimes people get killed in accident where it’s wrong to call the killer a murder. I understand this subject is sensitive and I don’t want to go deeper into it, but I think it’s fair to say that people look at things differently and I think it’s wrong to say stuff like you said earlier about “either you can’t have any of it or you’re a racist” because that by that logic I am racist in your eyes because I want the full information about what we’re said and in which context.
Okay, I'll cut you some slack for the coloured thing then - it's fair enough if English isn't your first language - sorry for forgetting that important point.

I didn't use the word murder, by the way, but I know what you mean there too - and we call it manslaughter when it wasn't intentional.

As for the context and grey areas, generally I would agree with you but some issues can be very sensitive indeed, and racism is definitely one of them. A while ago one of my oldest friends and I were driving to London and news of the Oscars came on the radio and they were discussing inclusivity and how many more diverse faces were in the running for the various awards. My mate then said "Why don't they just give them their own category ?"
I couldn't believe it and went nuts saying it was a racist thing to say and that he was wrong, going on to argue where he'd draw the line ?
Black, brown, mixed race, yellow, British Asian, Indian, Pakistani, etc, what about Bollywood movies, French, etc ?
I said "I know you're not a racist but that was a racist thing to say." He argued it wasn't so I explained that by definition it HAD to be racist because he was classifying "them" by race when saying they should have their own category.

So I guess I'm saying I actually agree with you :problem:

I still think anyone saying something like that should be pulled up on it though and will continue to do so, both online and IRL.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

There was mention about the Bernardo Silva / Mendy incident and amnt words about things lost in translation or nuances as regards different languages. For me if Silva and his buddy were alone, talking to one another and taking the mickey of each other and neither takes offence then there is no problem. However, when you put such comment in the public domain or anywhere where comments can be overheard, any defences and excuses go out of the window.

In the case of our goalkeeper there is a complaint been made and it is under investigation. We have to wait and see what the outcome is.

If Casilla has used words that he can't be using, context does not come into the argument IMHO. It will be interesting to see what, if anything the authorities and the Club do about it.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

I meant to address the Mendy thing but got sidetracked.
I was up for work at 2am this morning and have only just woken up after a couple of hours sleep so my mind was all over the place earlier ..

I think this is one of those situations when an in-joke has spilled into the public arena and it's now a much bigger deal than it would've been in the days before social media. Phoenix sums it up nicely above and largely I think outraged white men should but out of this one, myself included.
The thing is, when John Barnes is wading in saying it's okay it can put a movement like Kick It Out back thirty years.
I heard a long interview with him on talkSPORT and he just kept digging and digging, having already started out at the bottom of a big hole in the first place.

I get what he's saying but - a bit like the original incident - there's no need to say it out loud and in public ...
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

rigger wrote:I meant to address the Mendy thing but got sidetracked.
I was up for work at 2am this morning and have only just woken up after a couple of hours sleep so my mind was all over the place earlier ..

I think this is one of those situations when an in-joke has spilled into the public arena and it's now a much bigger deal than it would've been in the days before social media. Phoenix sums it up nicely above and largely I think outraged white men should but out of this one, myself included.
The thing is, when John Barnes is wading in saying it's okay it can put a movement like Kick It Out back thirty years.
I heard a long interview with him on talkSPORT and he just kept digging and digging, having already started out at the bottom of a big hole in the first place.

I get what he's saying but - a bit like the original incident - there's no need to say it out loud and in public ...
Like anyone else, the likes of John Barnes are entitled to their opinion. What people lose sight of, particularly in the media where facts never get in the way of a good story, is that what is being expressed is a personal view and not representative of any group of people or community.
Keep The Faith / WAL
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Nowt on this or have I missed something ?
Winner of the Europa League
White Knight
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by White Knight »

Not looking good for Kiko. As usual, a Leeds player will be made an example of with the maximum punishment available.

Don’t get me wrong, if he is guilty he has to be punished as it’s just not acceptable but what could be a six game ban for a first offence looks like being cranked up on this occasion considerably. There’s always a some self inflicted damage around the corner at Leeds. :(

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... d-17189301
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

White Knight wrote:Not looking good for Kiko. As usual, a Leeds player will be made an example of with the maximum punishment available.

Don’t get me wrong, if he is guilty he has to be punished as it’s just not acceptable but what could be a six game ban for a first offence looks like being cranked up on this occasion considerably. There’s always a some self inflicted damage around the corner at Leeds. :(

Amazing the FA have concluded their investigation and tell the Daily Mail first :crazy:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
PhoenixUnited

Post by PhoenixUnited »

White Knight wrote:Not looking good for Kiko. As usual, a Leeds player will be made an example of with the maximum punishment available.

The punishment might well be very damaging to the club but yet again we have the authorities being given an opportunity to take punitive action against the club.

As for Casillas I have absolutely no sympathy at all if he has done wrong and deserves everything he gets. :oops: :cry: :roll:
Keep The Faith / WAL
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I've not heard or seen any evidence and the only person that appears to have heard the alleged abuse is Leko himself.
So unless there is some other evidence it's Kiko's word against Leko and it would be hard to prove anything given that situation.

However if they read the rule book backwards and find reason to ban him we have a couple of very good young keepers available.
Meslier looks class for the U'23s and despite only 19 has first team experience in France.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.