Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
whitedancer
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by whitedancer »

I would be interested to know what kilos shot save ratio is , for me the only reason he hasn't conceded more, is has a team we've always got possession of the ball. To me he's a headless chicken, and we better off w/o him. He unnerves the defence, especially at corners, u don't know if he's going to come out flapping, or stick on the line and don't move. Surly a taller keeper must be more commanding, he can't be no worse.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

whitedancer wrote:I would be interested to know what kilos shot save ratio is , for me the only reason he hasn't conceded more, is has a team we've always got possession of the ball. To me he's a headless chicken, and we better off w/o him. He unnerves the defence, especially at corners, u don't know if he's going to come out flapping, or stick on the line and don't move. Surly a taller keeper must be more commanding, he can't be no worse.
We have one of the best defences in the division looking at it normally or via statistics, so to suggest he unnerves this defence doesn't hold water at all IMO
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Another Northern Soul wrote:
whitedancer wrote:I would be interested to know what kilos shot save ratio is , for me the only reason he hasn't conceded more, is has a team we've always got possession of the ball. To me he's a headless chicken, and we better off w/o him. He unnerves the defence, especially at corners, u don't know if he's going to come out flapping, or stick on the line and don't move. Surly a taller keeper must be more commanding, he can't be no worse.
We have one of the best defences in the division looking at it normally or via statistics, so to suggest he unnerves this defence doesn't hold water at all IMO
Sorry ANS but I beg to differ about having the best defence. The reason it all looks so good and also in reality is because we play in a way where the opposition rarely gets to attack. When teams have come at us they just cut through like a hot knife through butter. Other than Ben White there is not what I would call a solid defender we have available. KC is a decent shot stopper but his decision making is suspect and on the occasional sortie off his goal line makes me want to run and hide!
Keep The Faith / WAL
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
Sorry ANS but I beg to differ about having the best defence. The reason it all looks so good and also in reality is because we play in a way where the opposition rarely gets to attack. When teams have come at us they just cut through like a hot knife through butter. Other than Ben White there is not what I would call a solid defender we have available. KC is a decent shot stopper but his decision making is suspect and on the occasional sortie off his goal line makes me want to run and hide!
I would say Berardi is the best out and out defender at the club : even ahead of White I'd want him in a 1 v 1.
However, football's a team game so while I agree generally with what you're saying about our defensive unit, if you take the team unit as a whole then we do have a great defence : the best form being ATTACK ATTACK ATTACK after all :)
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
No need to beg mate, it's just difference of opinion :D . I wouldn't say hot knife through butter though. Stats back up my claim of ours being one of the best defences but of course it's not all about stats. As Rigger says, the best form of defence is atteack, the best form of attack is defence.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
No need to beg mate, it's just difference of opinion :D . I wouldn't say hot knife through butter though. Stats back up my claim of ours being one of the best defences but of course it's not all about stats. As Rigger says, the best form of defence is atteack, the best form of attack is defence.
I'm a very polite person! :D :lol: Mostly
Keep The Faith / WAL
HalifaxWhite

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Barlow Boy wrote:
HalifaxWhite wrote:Just read an update on Kiko, hearing next week and Phil Hay thinks he will get at least a 6 game ban with it being highly likely he will be found guilty. Leko has a team mate backing him saying he heard it.
Please could you provide a link to where you have read this, as I can’t seem to find it ?
Here Barlow:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/phil- ... o-casilla/
HalifaxWhite

Post by HalifaxWhite »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
PhoenixUnited wrote:
I'm a very polite person! :D :lol: Mostly
I would agree with Whitedancer here but can see both sides of this. As you say ANS the stats point to us having an excellent defence. However look at it this way.
Our average % possession this season is 64.61% vs 35.39%.
We have scored 48 and conceded 30.
Giving ratios of 0.74%/goal and 0.84%/goal. Essentially if the possession was 50/50 we would have conceded more than we have scored. So it is the style of play that keeps the opponent out.

Also some shot stats.
We average 16.36 shots per game with 5.12 on target, 3 blocked. 48 goals/33 games = 1.37 goals per game
We concede 9.06 shots per game with 2.82 on target and 2.03 blocked. 30 goals /33 games = 0.91 goals per game
So we have almost double the number of shots and on target, yet are nowhere near double on goals.

Shots 16.36/9.06 = 1.81
Goals 48/30 = 1.6

Now if I'm honest the thought the gap in shot vs goals there would be wider, that tells me something important (as I said before I work in sports statistical analysis so this is what I do, not just stats but reading into them). What it tells me is KC is being overly criticized due to the failures of those up front.

These stats give two options, either the keeper is shocking or the forwards are poor at creating/finishing. Now we all know for a fact from watching the games that the forwards are poor and creating/finishing in the tight spaces they usually have to operate. So taking that into account KC isn't doing that badly. Has they been putting chances away KC would not be getting half the criticism he has been.

Yes his save % is poor recently however consider this. Earlier in the season he has the second best save % in the league despite facing few shots, thus keeping his concentration well and many clean sheets. At this point the forwards were scoring so the pressure wasn't on KC everytime the opponent counter attacked. Also Opponents counter attacked less and committed less men forward as they were already losing and getting dominated and didn't want ripping apart by leaving more gaps. Also as we are leading we aren't pushing every single player forward, still a lot but not as many as when we are losing.
Since xmas his save % has been very poor, one of the worst in the league. He isn't facing any more shots than before however the game is different. WE are dominating still but missing chance after chance after chance. That does two things, puts pressure on KC to make the save when they counter, but also gives them confidence to throw more men forward when they do counter meaning they get a clearer chance on goal and a higher likelihood of scoring.

Long post I know but hopefully some agree with this, I know some will disagree but such is the nature of sport.

In conclusion it is actually PB, JH, HC, PH, MK to blame more than KC.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

From The Athletic today.....

Real Madrid and Nketiah expected to provide character references for Casilla
Leeds United goalkeeper Kiko Casilla will rely on evidence and testimonies from former and current colleagues when a disciplinary panel rules on a charge of racism against him this week.

A three-man Football Association commission is set to rule on allegations which were levelled against Casilla more than four months ago. The Spaniard is accused of racially abusing forward Jonathan Leko during the second half of a Championship game between Leeds and Charlton Athletic at The Valley on September 28.

Casilla and Leko will both give evidence at this week’s hearing, which is due to take place in London at the FA’s Wembley headquarters over two days.
It is understood that legal discussions are likely to conclude on Thursday.

Leko’s allegation will be supported by the Charlton striker Macauley Bonne but Casilla, who denies the charge and requested a personal hearing, will be supported with oral evidence and character references from a number of high-profile sources.

Arsenal striker Eddie Nketiah, who was on loan at Leeds in the first half of this season and played in the 1-0 loss to Charlton, is expected to appear in front of the panel along with as many as six of Casilla’s Leeds team-mates.
Casilla’s former club, Real Madrid, and former Cameroon international Thomas N’Kono — who was his goalkeeping coach at Espanyol — are among those who have provided statements supporting his character.

Casilla faces a minimum suspension of six matches if he is found guilty by the disciplinary panel
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

So it's effectively character reference vs character reference, given that Bonne will be basically providing the same thing in the light of their being no actual record proof of what was said.

I can't see it sticking and I'm glad Kiko has so much support to call upon.