Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Deleted User 3289

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Its another anomaly in the way Bielsa plays. The keeper is almost an outfield player with the amount of touches he gets in some games, i don't know all the stats but in some games he passes the ball more than most opposition players when we dominate like we usually do. Is Meslier ready for that side of his job? Would the players feel as confident passing back to the young kid? EastYorkie has his doubts, so Bielsa probably does aswell. I know he did well at Arsenal but that was a free hit in a way with no pressure. (we was expected to lose)

One thing i would say and i'm speculating really. I bet a keeper who isn't involved so much in the footballing side of things and just protects his goal, has better concentration levels than a keeper who is expected to constantly links up play? Just a thought.

In saying that i have stated he needs a rest for a few games to refocus. Can't see it tho, i think Bielsa see's Kiko as a critical link in the way we play out from the back. So more edge of the seat keeping coming up.
Tedbaker
Brian McDermott's optician

Post by Tedbaker »

I think Meslier’s distribution was impressive against Arsenal, far better than Kiko’s. Given he didn’t have much to do vs Arsenal, it was the most impressive part of his game.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

KC is a poor goalkeeper overall and always has been. He has been protected and not been tested particularly because of the style we have employed under MB. On the occasions that opponents have attacked the madcap Italian has proved to be a liability. No two ways about it. A defence that does not know how to defend when attacked is made all the more nervous by an unsteady man in goal.

An yet MB seems to want to persevere with KC and to hang the consequences. I am coming to the conclusion that MB is a genius for what he has managed to do with the players he inherited but there is a fundamental flaw in his makeup in that he is blinkered and stubborn and unable to see the glaringly obvious.
Keep The Faith / WAL
Sniffer
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by Sniffer »

PhoenixUnited wrote:KC is a poor goalkeeper overall and always has been. He has been protected and not been tested particularly because of the style we have employed under MB. On the occasions that opponents have attacked the madcap Italian has proved to be a liability. No two ways about it. A defence that does not know how to defend when attacked is made all the more nervous by an unsteady man in goal.

An yet MB seems to want to persevere with KC and to hang the consequences. I am coming to the conclusion that MB is a genius for what he has managed to do with the players he inherited but there is a fundamental flaw in his makeup in that he is blinkered and stubborn and unable to see the glaringly obvious.
I think you'll find the "madcap Italian" is from Spain.
phil62
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by phil62 »

Yet KC has the most clean sheets in the Championship. I say stick with him. All goalies make mistakes and Meslier would be no different. Kiko's distribution is outstanding - watch him in a warm up - he's quality, the defenders are confident giving him the ball, he's our number one. Positivity is the key to all of this.
“Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.”
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

He’s to face an FA panel next week as he contests racist abuse charges.

https://twitter.com/telefootball/status ... 24771?s=21

Given the time scale I’d think they have a case against him & a ban could be imminent
Winner of the Europa League
PC71
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by PC71 »

I think it is too late to be defending him anymore.
If you think about how much trouble we are having scoring, then he is gifting goals at the other end.
Open goal after letting it roll under his foot, goal direct from a corner when he is no where near it.
Plus the countless times he has come and flapped at crosses, some he has got away with.

It's like we are deliberately handicapping ourselves.

I don't know how good Meslier is, he has looked good from the restricted outings I have seen of him.
He deserves a chance, we need to take the pressure off our now nervy defence.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

From a confidence point of view, I'd prefer Meslier got in now, rather than feeling we had no choice if KC gets a ban
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

There is a half-page article on the Casilla issue in the Telegraph Sport today. However, it is more on how the FA approach these types of cases than specifically about the Casilla case.
I once played against Don Revie.
hashtagleedsunited
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by hashtagleedsunited »

https://www.leeds-live.co.uk/sport/leed ... e-17741417

Other managers would not have stood by Casilla - why are you backing him?

"I don’t support Kiko, I support the team.
If supporting Kiko is supporting the team, I support Kiko.
If I support Kiko, but damage the team, I will not support Kiko.

When one manager takes a decision on an important position he analyses a lot of situations. It’s not just about if we have one player in his position who can play there instead.

Leeds have one player - Meslier. Honestly, a long time, I didn’t say one young player like him with his level of resources. You also verified this against Arsenal. It’s not just knowing we have a player in good condition like Meslier which make you take the decision to switch them. That’s important.

I want to add I do not ignore Kiko’s mistakes. They are evident. Also, it’s true the consequence of his mistakes are linked with our results, but I give importance to Kiko, in the same matches, and previous, kept confidence in himself. He continues giving the right answers in every situation in the game. Other goalkeepers, when they fail aerially, in the next situation they are between the posts. Other keepers when they give a good pass, after they start to play long. Other keepers when they make mistakes, they lose the confidence of his team-mates. After you have team-mates, when they realise he made mistakes, they don’t give him the ball anymore. Kiko keep the confidence in himself, he keep the confidence of his team-mates.

He lost the confidence expressed in the press and media. Something we know. The opinion in the press, we know who writes. That point is professional who is giving this opinion. That is ready and prepared to give an opinion. After you have other media, like Twitter for example, which doesn’t tell you who writes this. We know who writes, but we don’t know if they are prepared to give an opinion. It’s natural any person can given an opinion and this is good. All the opinions, we can listen and evaluate, but we can listen to all this, but not evaluate because we analyse the quality of the people who write. It’s not the same of one professional opinion with others. Another dimension, but in these times we live in, the only fact one opinion is published and the only fact a lot of people have the same thoughts, that makes this opinion, that has an impact, we should consider this peculiarity in this time right now. Always the opinion has value. If it was support for information. You know the opinion of a professional who researches is more important than a professional who does not research. Everybody can give an opinion, but we have to give the right value to one opinion or another opinion."

Interesting and self-explanatory :thumbup:

He goes on to add.....

Importance of Kiko playing with confidence and ambitiously?
"Imagine I have already explained this question and taken five minutes and we know I took 25 minutes on Augustin. If I answer your question, after we are going to be impressed I talked twice about something I already said. Know that you are asking the same question. I understand, maybe you want the question in a different way and I will briefly add another thing.

I have to respect the team is above everything. Sometimes, when you support one player of our family, ‘family’. Even though we do everything to look like that, we are not a family. Sometimes support someone who is weak is big for the other players, ‘family’. Like a reassurance when the rest of the players have a bad moments. There are a lot of opinions around our team, we need to psychological support. I think the opposite. I don’t ignore psychology.

I use it to find solutions.

Talking with professionals, but not doing the job of them. What I say is someone in the bad moment, we need to block this unsafe feeling, give him confidence in this moment. The attitude people have with components of the team is real for the rest of the team. When one or two siblings make a mistake, the sibling who doesn’t make a mistake has two possibilities or because he feels fear he doesn’t make the same mistake as his brother or he improves his own resources because he knows the parents support his brother, he knows if he makes a mistake he gets the support of his parent. First solution is not face the problem, second is acquire a confidence. Two you have to be in a good position to solve this problem."

Absolutely pure genius, and if we "get it" we acknowledge this maverick :clap:
Last edited by hashtagleedsunited on 13 Feb 2020, 13:22, edited 2 times in total.