Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by Another Northern Soul »

Sovietmule wrote:
Viduka Hits The Mark wrote:If he has used that language then he is a F***ing imbecile. If i hadn't said it, i would go to the ends of the earth to prove my innocents, wouldn't you? its a damning indictment. It may be a culture thing for black people but he's not black. Ron Atkinson was never seen again after his incident and he had helped many black players in his managerial career. He either fights to clear his name, or goes home, i don't think there is any middle ground on this.

I'm not buying the language barrier excuse, if he didn't know what it meant it would be pointless saying it. Its the intent that bothers me. He may have grown up calling his friends it at school in Spain but learn the customs of the country you are in.
The report makes very depressing reading. Both KC and MG have done themselves and the club a grave disservice. The evidence points to them both being abject liars and being caught out.

For me, both of their positions are untenable and they need to go asap.

I agree with Vid on the innocence point; if you were unjustly accused of such a thing surely you'd be taking every possible opportunity to point out the injustice and clear your name but ... crickets ...

I really hope the club don't appeal the decision as that would only smear the stain further across LUFC.
Who's Matt Grice, mate? I haven't had time to read the full report etc, sorry.

The Club hasn't handled this very well at all either, by the looks of it to me.
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Who is MG ??
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

rigger wrote:Who is MG ??
Matt Grice, team manager. He translates for Kiko...
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Otherworld wrote:
rigger wrote:Who is MG ??
Matt Grice, team manager. He translates for Kiko...
The report reflects very badly on him.

Page 44
As regards MG more generally, we regrettably formed the clear impression that by his
evidence he was not seeking to assist us to ascertain the truth of what had happened on
and after the day of the match, but rather was giving such evidence as he felt would most
assist KC (and LUFC) to defend this Charge. That was perhaps best illustrated by his
repeated denials that he had been aware of the words alleged to have been used by KC
until some considerable time after the match – and quite possibly not until the date of
KC’s interview, almost 4 weeks later – despite a number of LUFC players who gave
evidence before us stating
a) That it was from MG that they had learned that KC was alleged to have used the word
‘nigger’
b) That they had learned of the same within a matter of days after the match
c) That a number of them had had individual meetings with MG – predominantly on the
Monday after the match - at which the Incident had been discussed. MG denied that
any such meetings had taken place.
Here it is in full.
http://www.thefa.com/news/2020/mar/03/k ... ons-030320
Phil147
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Phil147 »

Were the club's solicitors involved in any of this? Seems a very odd defence to come up with that he didn't know what the term meant... Don't all players have to attend some kind of racial awareness course anyway? Surely any half decent solicitor wouldn't go along with that?

He is probably lucky to get just an 8 match ban, for any of us on this forum in our real life jobs we would be out of the door for saying something like that.

Given the verdict has been given and punishment levied not sure what the club should do now. I would imagine they would be on dodgy ground if they sack Casilla for gross misconduct as unless there is something very specific in the contract he could go for unfair dismissal.

Much will depend now on the reaction in the media and from the public as there will no doubt be more questions asked of the club as to how we can continue to employ a 'proven racist' - I only put in quotation marks as this is based on balance of probability. Looking at the statements though it seems pretty certain he said what he is accused of.

I just hope now the more Neanderthal element of our fan base don't make the situation any worse... at least we didn't go down the Liverpool road of public demonstrations of support from the team like they did with the odious Suarez...
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

A statement from LUST
We wish to place on record that we support any action taken within the game to challenge and combat racism. Any incident should be fully investigated as this will ultimately empower players, both professionally and at grassroots, to raise issues when they sadly occur within the game.

In this instance, we place all tribal loyalties aside to extend our understanding to the players involved at Charlton, and support their decision to report the alleged incident.

Reporting racism is a difficult and upsetting experience and we don’t want to discourage anyone from reporting racist incidents in future.

We are proud of the work Leeds United has done to combat racism, and we hope that the club continues to demonstrate its commitment to equality and diversity, using the power and popularity of the sport to oppose racism in society.
Winner of the Europa League
Deleted User 728

Phil147 wrote: Given the verdict has been given and punishment levied not sure what the club should do now. I would imagine they would be on dodgy ground if they sack Casilla for gross misconduct as unless there is something very specific in the contract he could go for unfair dismissal.
I'm not so sure about that.
I don't think you'd find a tribunal anywhere willing to turn the decision over given the gravity of the situation and the likelihood of the case becoming groundbreaking for all the wrong reasons.
Just as Bosman is synonymous with players' contract freedom, we don't want "Leeds United" being associated in any way with getting someone off a racism charge, even if it was known as the Casillas Ruling.

What irks me now other than the actual event itself is the way that sport is such a special case when it comes to the financial side of staff dismissal. Most companies around the world are grateful to get people out the door ASAP when they're done for gross misconduct - even the best salespeople or managers won't be missed because they don't have any intrinsic saleable value. Their departure may mean a company underperforms for a while, but their reputation will be intact and that's worth more.
With football, the player has his contract stopped so we don't have to pay him anymore, but unless that contract is worth more than about £2m (his current worth on Transfermarkt.com) then we lose out financially and the player can pick up with any club from tomorrow.
That's wrong.
There should be an international ruling that stops him playing till the end of the contract that he violated with us.
If he or a club want to buy that out then they should pay us, plus a tribunal decided fee.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

I don't believe racist comments actually constitute Gross Misconduct unless its listed specifically in the Players
contract or Club Rules.

Things normally recognised in the workforce as Gross Misconduct are such as :-
Physical assault.
Sexual harassment.
Regular unauthorised Absence or persistant lateness.
Theft (or any criminal offence in the work place).
Sabotage

So way I see it the only things the Club can do is :-
Terminate contract by mutual consent (probably mean paying his contract).
Give a official warning (which makes it easier to sack him in future)
Sack him and risk him claiming unfair dismissal and would possibly get his contract paid up but not his job back.
Take the "done the crime, done the time" policy and include him once the suspension is up and hope he's learnt from it.

Its not straightforward but I'm sure the Clubs Lawyers will be considering their options.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 728

Selby White wrote:I don't believe racist comments actually constitute Gross Misconduct unless its listed specifically in the Players
contract or Club Rules.

Things normally recognised in the workforce as Gross Misconduct are such as :-
Physical assault.
Sexual harassment.
Regular unauthorised Absence or persistant lateness.
Theft (or any criminal offence in the work place).
Sabotage

So way I see it the only things the Club can do is :-
Terminate contract by mutual consent (probably mean paying his contract).
Give a official warning (which makes it easier to sack him in future)
Sack him and risk him claiming unfair dismissal and would possibly get his contract paid up but not his job back.
Take the "done the crime, done the time" policy and include him once the suspension is up and hope he's learnt from it.

Its not straightforward but I'm sure the Clubs Lawyers will be considering their options.
Really ??
I would think that anything that would mean you'd be arrested on the street would warrant being classified as gross misconduct.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Post by PhoenixUnited »

Well from what I have read so far, including trying to wade through the FA Report Kiko Casilla comes across as a racist and a liar "on the balance of probabilities" and Matt Grice, for reasons best known to himself comes across as a liar or as someone trying to bend the truth.

The pair of them have no place in the My Team :oops: The sooner they get consigned to history the better
Keep The Faith / WAL