Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
PhoenixUnited
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by PhoenixUnited »

West beach white wrote:Moving forward, id like to see kiko come out and make a public apology.
If he does this i see no reason not to forgive him this mistake and move on .
To be honest I don't really care if he does or not.

I have never rated him as a keeper (mistakenly calling him a Mad Italian (in goalkeeping terms) whereas he is in fact a Mad Spaniard) and ban or no ban he will not suddenly become good enough to be our first pick goalkeeper. The fact that we have so many clean sheets is only marginally to do with KC - although he is far from the worst keeper we have had - but it's mostly to do with our style of play where the opposition get very little of the ball and are usually on the back foot.

Mud sticks I'm afraid and its not just that he has been penalised "on the balance of probabilities" of racism but also of lying in presenting his evidence

Moving on I would like to see an alternative to KC between the sticks thanks
Keep The Faith / WAL
Another Northern Soul
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Another Northern Soul »

whiteinfrance wrote:
West beach white wrote:Moving forward, id like to see kiko come out and make a public apology.
You're assuming he did it

What I can't understand is, that in what must have been a packed area, more people didn't hear it when he has supposed to have shouted loudly

It has not been proved beyond reasonable doubt

Just my opinion
It wasn't a packed area, there is phone-cam footage of the incident in question.

It has been proven in the FA's eyes/court and that's all that matters here, and two people claimed they heard what he said, one of them obviously reported it, and no one else came forward to defend him or say 'He didn't say that' etc.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

PhoenixUnited wrote:
To be honest I don't really care if he does or not.

I have never rated him as a keeper (mistakenly calling him a Mad Italian (in goalkeeping terms) whereas he is in fact a Mad Spaniard) and ban or no ban he will not suddenly become good enough to be our first pick goalkeeper. The fact that we have so many clean sheets is only marginally to do with KC - although he is far from the worst keeper we have had - but it's mostly to do with our style of play where the opposition get very little of the ball and are usually on the back foot.

Mud sticks I'm afraid and its not just that he has been penalised "on the balance of probabilities" of racism but also of lying in presenting his evidence

Moving on I would like to see an alternative to KC between the sticks thanks
Think we should judge the case in question as a different issue to playing ability.

Both may result in the same opinion as to whether he plays for us again but should not be used together.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Otherworld
Billy Bremner's barbed-wire salesman

Post by Otherworld »

A brief look at a couple of Leeds Utd Facebook pages this evening has shown me that our fan-base is infected with vile racism. I’m disgusted and depressed. I hope it’s just a few ignorant idiots, but I fear that it’s worse than that. If the comments on the ‘Leeds Media’ Facebook page are reflected in songs and chants tomorrow, we could be in serious trouble...
Palpatan
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Palpatan »

You picked me up for the same thing, Selby, and you make a fair point.

Very different things. But will hopefully have the same outcome.

Bielsa clearly rates Casilla. I wonder if his opinion has changed since the repost came out?
Deleted User 728

Post by Deleted User 728 »

Otherworld wrote:A brief look at a couple of Leeds Utd Facebook pages this evening has shown me that our fan-base is infected with vile racism. I’m disgusted and depressed. I hope it’s just a few ignorant idiots, but I fear that it’s worse than that. If the comments on the ‘Leeds Media’ Facebook page are reflected in songs and chants tomorrow, we could be in serious trouble...
They're the same kind of knuckleheads that support all clubs, that Cantona and Dier have railed against and that throw chairs across Europe in the name of Ingerland.

In other words, drunken louts who think they're hard in a group.

Pathetic is too nice a word.

Racism has never gone away, despite the advances we've made in the last thirty or forty years.
Same with sexism and homophobia.
Trouble is, it's all a lot more acceptable now right wing politics is in all over the western world.
Brexit, Farage and the EDL have all made it mainstream and I know not everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist, but hate crime is on the rise and I can't believe people don't see the link ..

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

rigger wrote:
Otherworld wrote:A brief look at a couple of Leeds Utd Facebook pages this evening has shown me that our fan-base is infected with vile racism. I’m disgusted and depressed. I hope it’s just a few ignorant idiots, but I fear that it’s worse than that. If the comments on the ‘Leeds Media’ Facebook page are reflected in songs and chants tomorrow, we could be in serious trouble...
They're the same kind of knuckleheads that support all clubs, that Cantona and Dier have railed against and that throw chairs across Europe in the name of Ingerland.

In other words, drunken louts who think they're hard in a group.

Pathetic is too nice a word.

Racism has never gone away, despite the advances we've made in the last thirty or forty years.
Same with sexism and homophobia.
Trouble is, it's all a lot more acceptable now right wing politics is in all over the western world.
Brexit, Farage and the EDL have all made it mainstream and I know not everyone who voted for Brexit is a racist, but hate crime is on the rise and I can't believe people don't see the link ..

I'll get off my soapbox now.
Other forms of boxes available too.....
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Nic

Post by Nic »

There are two issues - the racism and the footballer.

The racism should be discussed irrespective of which player or how good they are, but it isn't. Kiko has faced criticism on a footballing front and so it seems the investigation, the punishment, and the racism allegations are taken with this in mind. If Kiko had had an excellent season, responsible for keeping so many clean sheets that we were out in front, would people be accepting of the outcome of the investigation?

Racism runs through football, as it does in many walks of life. It does need to be stood up to, especially from reading the report in this case it's not the strong denial, or possible mishearing of Spanish terms, but more not denying it could have been said but not realising what they mean. The phrases must have been used somewhere and for many times for it to become adopted as normal phraseology. You would think circles professional footballers mingle with is selective, which makes you wonder is that term "normalised" away from the club?
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Barlow Boy »

Nic wrote: The racism should be discussed irrespective of which player or how good they are, but it isn't. Kiko has faced criticism on a footballing front and so it seems the investigation, the punishment, and the racism allegations are taken with this in mind. If Kiko had had an excellent season, responsible for keeping so many clean sheets that we were out in front, would people be accepting of the outcome of the investigation?
If I’ve heard, ‘I’d rather have Meslier anyway’ once, I’ve heard it a thousand times.

As it happens, I agree with it, but not for the reasons we have found ourselves in. Kiko’s name will get sung tomorrow, albeit within the Hernandez song, and I will not be the only one in the stadium feeling a touch embarrassed.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
Nic

Post by Nic »

I hope it is addressed in the program notes, since it needs to.

The club were right in backing their player during the investigation, but now the findings have come out - he isn't a racist but on the balance of probability he said it, there needs to be some reaction - an apology to Leko, a reaffirmation racism isn't tolerated, etc.

What happens once the ban has run its course, what actions are taken whilst it is ongoing? It should not have anything to do with how Kiko has performed in matches, whether Illan is proving to be a better replacement, but what has changed.

Unfortunately songs will be sung, because fans back their team's players. If one of our players had been racially abused by an opponent, we would rightly be up in arms.