Kiko Casilla

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: Kiko Casilla

Post by Selby White »

rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:I don't believe racist comments actually constitute Gross Misconduct unless its listed specifically in the Players
contract or Club Rules.

Things normally recognised in the workforce as Gross Misconduct are such as :-
Physical assault.
Sexual harassment.
Regular unauthorised Absence or persistant lateness.
Theft (or any criminal offence in the work place).
Sabotage

So way I see it the only things the Club can do is :-
Terminate contract by mutual consent (probably mean paying his contract).
Give a official warning (which makes it easier to sack him in future)
Sack him and risk him claiming unfair dismissal and would possibly get his contract paid up but not his job back.
Take the "done the crime, done the time" policy and include him once the suspension is up and hope he's learnt from it.

Its not straightforward but I'm sure the Clubs Lawyers will be considering their options.
Really ??
I would think that anything that would mean you'd be arrested on the street would warrant being classified as gross misconduct.
Yes its a difficult one and covered by the Criminal Offence part but he hasn't been found guilty in a Law court.

Its very difficult to actually sack someone although one company I worked for had a boss (I was a department manager) that said "If you need to sack them do it, they may claim and win but they wont get their job back" :shock:
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Davycc
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Davycc »

Selby White wrote:
Its very difficult to actually sack someone although one company I worked for had a boss (I was a department manager) that said "If you need to sack them do it, they may claim and win but they wont get their job back" :shock:
Yeah had a boss/owner like that as well. "Sack them, they will probably win and get a few grand but I won't have to pay ten times that in they're wages."
All at Amazon Books

The Funny Corner
When Santa Got Stuck Up The Chimney
The Thrones Murders
Leonickroberts
Jimmy Armfield's cardigan knitter

Post by Leonickroberts »

NottinghamWhite wrote:A statement from LUST
We wish to place on record that we support any action taken within the game to challenge and combat racism. Any incident should be fully investigated as this will ultimately empower players, both professionally and at grassroots, to raise issues when they sadly occur within the game.

In this instance, we place all tribal loyalties aside to extend our understanding to the players involved at Charlton, and support their decision to report the alleged incident.

Reporting racism is a difficult and upsetting experience and we don’t want to discourage anyone from reporting racist incidents in future.

We are proud of the work Leeds United has done to combat racism, and we hope that the club continues to demonstrate its commitment to equality and diversity, using the power and popularity of the sport to oppose racism in society.
Very impressed with this. Clear, concise, and not even a tiny attempt to justify or clarify. Exactly as it should be.
'When he plays on snow, he doesn't leave any footprints’
Sovietmule
Paul Heckingbottom's career advisor

Post by Sovietmule »

Selby White wrote:
rigger wrote:
Selby White wrote:I don't believe racist comments actually constitute Gross Misconduct unless its listed specifically in the Players
contract or Club Rules.

Things normally recognised in the workforce as Gross Misconduct are such as :-
Physical assault.
Sexual harassment.
Regular unauthorised Absence or persistant lateness.
Theft (or any criminal offence in the work place).
Sabotage

So way I see it the only things the Club can do is :-
Terminate contract by mutual consent (probably mean paying his contract).
Give a official warning (which makes it easier to sack him in future)
Sack him and risk him claiming unfair dismissal and would possibly get his contract paid up but not his job back.
Take the "done the crime, done the time" policy and include him once the suspension is up and hope he's learnt from it.

Its not straightforward but I'm sure the Clubs Lawyers will be considering their options.
Really ??
I would think that anything that would mean you'd be arrested on the street would warrant being classified as gross misconduct.
Yes its a difficult one and covered by the Criminal Offence part but he hasn't been found guilty in a Law court.

It's messy, isn't it.

Trying to look at it from the club's position (and I'm not involved in running the club so just guessing here):

if KC had protested his innocence then, morally, the club should stand by him until/unless the charge against him is proven.
So then the charge is proven and he is found guilty;
112) Accordingly, we find
a) That KC is guilty of Misconduct for a breach of FA Rule E3 as alleged, and
b) That because the words constituting that breach made reference to race, colour and/or
ethnic origin, the breach is an ‘Aggravated Breach’ as defined in FA Rule E3(2).
but ... The FA have been very careful to state they are not accusing KC of being a racist - Decision, section 11:
11) We consider KC’s conduct in this case to fit that description. While we accept
a) That KC is not a racist, and
b) That KC’s language was wholly out of character
the language used was abhorrent, and was plainly a very grave and serious racial insult.
So he's been found guilty of 'misconduct' by the FA.
At this point it surely gets easier for the club as all doubt has evaporated but what are their options, just a few below that occurred while I was in Tesco, I'm sure there are lots of others?
  • 1.The word misconduct has already been used in the decision so for that to seen as Gross Misconduct under the clubs operating policies might not be much of a stretch.
    2. it's not difficult (for me) to argue that KC has brought the club into disrepute which then triggers the gross misconduct/instant dismissal angle.
    3. Or, possibly, the club says something along the lines of "KC isn't a racist, but he was involved in a racist incident. With that in mind and because we believe in rehabilitation, we have decided to support him with education etc."
I included 3 because of this:
(E) Deterrence
28) The FA submits that any sanction should ‘incorporate an element of deterrence to demonstrate the seriousness of this matter and to seek to prevent such misconduct arising at all levels of football in the future’.
29) That is not something that we felt to be necessary in this case. The approach that we adopted was to identify what penalty was necessary and proportionate to reflect the nature and circumstances of the Aggravated Breach that we found to have been committed.
So the FA saw no need for their decision to have a deterrent effect :o

P.S Derby sacked Keogh for drink-driving which they describes as gross misconduct. He says he has his lawyers on it so we'll see.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

Some Good Points Soviet :thumbup:

One thing (probably others as working from memory of training I had as a manager a good few years back) I didn't state on the Gross Misconduct list was Alcohol/Drug abuse which may cover the Keogh case if he is classed to have been on duty, grey area but are footballers always on duty as public figures ?

Think there was a case of a Policeman getting sacked not too long ago for racist comments but not sure of the details.
I suspect It was possible continual abuse though because I believe the Government recommendation to employees is a talking to and a first warning.

Turning the word misconduct to Gross Misconduct would be difficult as it could be argued it could also be minor misconduct which the person guilty should be given a verbal or written warning.

As I say sacking someone outright in this country isn't easy, it can get very messy.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

Selby White wrote:Some Good Points Soviet :thumbup:

One thing (probably others as working from memory of training I had as a manager a good few years back) I didn't state on the Gross Misconduct list was Alcohol/Drug abuse which may cover the Keogh case if he is classed to have been on duty, grey area but are footballers always on duty as public figures ?

Think there was a case of a Policeman getting sacked not too long ago for racist comments but not sure of the details.
I suspect It was possible continual abuse though because I believe the Government recommendation to employees is a talking to and a first warning.

Turning the word misconduct to Gross Misconduct would be difficult as it could be argued it could also be minor misconduct which the person guilty should be given a verbal or written warning.

As I say sacking someone outright in this country isn't easy, it can get very messy.
Yeah, fair points.
When I was working as a manager the difficulty of sacking someone depended on the culture of the company. It was certainly more difficult/problematic to sack someone in the third sector and public sector than it was in the private sector. Even then, in some private companies it was much easier to do than others. In all the cases of dismissal I was ever involved in an employee of the company was the subject in question.

I can't imagine that KC (or any other professional player) is an employee of the club they play for. Surely, like other freelancers, he is the owner of the company that supplies services (in the form of KC's goalkeeping) to Leeds United or some similar arrangement.

If that is the case then the contract is between the company and Leeds United. You'd have to think that somewhere in that contract there is a section on conditions for each side ending the contract early, if and when compensation is due etc.
kk white
Raich Carter's Contract Agent

Post by kk white »

Sovietmule wrote:P.S Derby sacked Keogh for drink-driving which they describes as gross misconduct. He says he has his lawyers on it so we'll see.
I have to defend Keogh here. He didn't drink drive. He doesn't drive at all. He was a passenger of a drink driver. That's why he's looking to sue. Yeah, he was club captain, but it's not up to him to control other players on nights out.

He made a bad decision by getting in the car, but we don't know the full circumstances. Anywhere he's been, he has been described as a father figure, so maybe he reluctantly got in the car when the kids insisted on driving anyway.

Even though I dislike the claim culture, in this instance I hope he takes Derby to the cleaners.
"An astonishing number of people despise Leeds United or what Leeds United stand for. But this club was never made for them." - Phil Hay
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Having read more I cannot believe the coach lying about having meetings and informing players. This seems clear that KCs defence is terrible and most likely that he did do it.

Get him off the books.

Somebody said this might not be gross misconduct as most contracts state harrasment, theft etc. I can confirm that the vast majority of UK contracts state workplace discrimination in all forms as a potential gross misconduct depending on circumstance. My wife is a HR manager and when I said I'm not sure if it's gross she said it absolutely would be. If this has been agreed by the too brass that it is more likely it occurred than didn't, then it is gross misconduct . Racial discrimination, racial abuse whatever you want to call it. Chances are he can be sacked for it. And should be
johnh
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by johnh »

Every player has a contract whether as an 'employee' or as a 'third party'. All contracts will have clauses concerning behaviour and clearly (hopefully) defining what is expected of a player representing Leeds United. It would seem fairly clear that KC has breached those clauses if they exist.
I once played against Don Revie.
Sovietmule

Post by Sovietmule »

kk_white wrote:
Sovietmule wrote:P.S Derby sacked Keogh for drink-driving which they describes as gross misconduct. He says he has his lawyers on it so we'll see.
I have to defend Keogh here. He didn't drink drive. He doesn't drive at all. He was a passenger of a drink driver. That's why he's looking to sue. Yeah, he was club captain, but it's not up to him to control other players on nights out.

He made a bad decision by getting in the car, but we don't know the full circumstances. Anywhere he's been, he has been described as a father figure, so maybe he reluctantly got in the car when the kids insisted on driving anyway.

Even though I dislike the claim culture, in this instance I hope he takes Derby to the cleaners.
I've done the man a disservice, thanks for putting me straight. :thumbup: