10 games in - The big picture

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

10 games in - The big picture

Post by Selby White »

Its so easy to get carried away with a significant win such as last night or at the same time live a life of doom & gloom following a result such as Charlton.

So reckon 10 games is a great time to step back and consider how we are doing, forget opponents or individual performaces its about what Leeds do as a team. Yes I like to believe we will win every game and we should but this is the real world.

Points :- Its common belief that if you average 2 points per game you are almost certain to go up and likely to finish top, history teaches us this is true.
Well 10 games gone and we have 20pts, looking good (at this stage last year we had 19pts so doing better) :thumbup:

Goals Scored :- Always my belief that a team at the top need to be looking at scoring an average of two per game, not an exact science as teams have gone up with much less.
However as been well documented we don't score enough, 14 from 10 is not good enough :thumbdown:
Hope its something we see improve in the next 10 games.

Goals Conceded :- Again teams at the top usually concede not much more than a goal per game (again not an exact science).
This is where we have been really good 5 from 10 (ave 0.5 per game) is possibly on target for some sort of record. :thumbup:

Looking at the next 10 games can we match/improve these statistics (6 away 4 at home) :-
Millwall Away
Birmingham Home
Preston Away
Sheff Wed Away
QPR Home
Blackburn Home
Luton Away
Reading Away
Middlesboro Home
Huddersfield Away

Matches 11 to 20 last season we accumulated 20pts (same again would not do our challenge any harm), we were top at that stage with 39pts :D

So what does everyone think will happen over the next 10 games ?
I'm going for -
21 points
20 goals scored
9 goals conceded
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Barlow Boy
LUFCTALK Moderator

Re: 10 games in - The big picture

Post by Barlow Boy »

I’ve been banging on for months, at home and around our table in the Pavilion, forget where we are in the league (at least at the moment), get to that magic 90 points and we will be fine.

As you say SW, 20 points from 10 games and we are going well towards that target.
When you retire, you switch bosses - from the one that hired you, to the one that married you.
SCOTTISH LEEDS
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by SCOTTISH LEEDS »

If we pick up 20 points every 10 games then we will be going up automatic.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

Another season I’m really enjoying so am happy after 10 games to be top of the pile. I believe we will get over 20 points in the next batch of games. We need to start finding the back of the net ( Helder Costa & Eddie Nketiah) & putting the game to bed shouldn’t be that hard surely given the possession we have every game. Anyway small steps one game at a time firstly let’s beat the odious Millwall :evil:
Winner of the Europa League
Selby White
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Selby White »

SCOTTISH LEEDS wrote:If we pick up 20 points every 10 games then we will be going up automatic.
Well another 20 in the next 10 means others just below us then have to start looking for 21 or 22 which starts to get difficult.
Keep your face always toward the sunshine - and shadows will fall behind you.
Deleted User 3289

Post by Deleted User 3289 »

Its all White at the moment, but with Cooper out again (how long?) and if we lose White it could be a case of painting it Black. Fine margins. The lad white looks a proper footballer would have loved to see him partnered with PJ at the back. Who needs a striker to score goals when you you have defenders who are prepared to do it for us. :shifty:
ilkley62
Allan Clarke's tissue supplier

Post by ilkley62 »

Thanks Selby, Wilko always used to say try & average 2points a game - i'll take the current form continuing for 46 games,92points i'm sure would be top 2
Mr Russell
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by Mr Russell »

I could see us getting points from all of the next 10 games although the trips to Millwall & Luton do worry me where we might get a hiccup or two. 20 points from the next 10 would be nice but i'd aim for more and get a gap between us and the rest.
Owners come and go but Leeds United will be there forever, for the fans - keep Marching on Together.
HalifaxWhite
David O'Leary's baby-sitter

Post by HalifaxWhite »

Great post and detail.

I think we are doing well at the moment and as you said only struggling to score, but the chances are there while we also seem solid at the back (lets see how we go without Cooper who is our only 6ft+ defender).

Looking at the next 10 games, 6 away, we are better away and the teams we have away I believe will all try come at us, so I see us winning all of those, that's 18 pts. I then see a draw at home with Borough and a loss to B'burn and winning the other 2. So that would be 25pts total, now that would be nice and give us a cushion.

25pts
25 scored
8 conceded

Ever the optimist. Bamford will find his scoring touch!
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

Frustrating thing is we should have won every game. That said, on chances taken relative to those created, we must have the worst attack and worst defence in the league!

It will be very interesting to see how we perform without cooper, with 2 wingers at fullback and 2 relative midgets @ centre back. One thing I did notice against WBA is Bamford has been detailed the Jansson role at defending corners.... he doesn’t mark and is free to attack the ball.. a role that can’t be handed over to Nketiah ! Given we conceded against Forest & Swansea from set plays when Bamford was subbed, from a defensive perspective it might be wise to keep Bamford on the pitch when bringing on Nketiah, play him as a #10 and bring off one off Klich/Forshaw/Shackleton.