Zaliukas & Pugh......

Leeds United news here, transfer rumours, club affairs, players, fans, etc.
Specific match discussions should go in the category below.
1964white
Dick Ray's Talent Spotter

Zaliukas & Pugh......

Post by 1964white »

Have Zaliukas & Pugh been made scapegoats for the Rochdale/Wednesday fiasco's

Neither on the bench today
dlw10
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Re: Zaliukas & Pugh......

Post by dlw10 »

1964white wrote:Have Zaliukas & Pugh been made scapegoats for the Rochdale/Wednesday fiasco's

Neither on the bench today
Certainly with Zaliukas I am sure he has just been told to go away and get himself sorted as his display at Wednesday was awful
Not sure why Pugh not there - just knackered?
Independent Republic
Eddie Gray's leftorium proprietor

Post by Independent Republic »

I thought Pugh was hard done by, but Warnock brought a lot of stability today. Zaliukas? Under Wikipedia that's the definition for having a proverbial nightmare. Don''t think we'll see him for a while after the disaster in Hillsboro.
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

I agree regarding Pugh, I think he did little wrong and was certainly not as shockingly bad as some culprits against Wednesday. That said, Warnock came in and had a great game. Fair play to Si who for some time has suggested we drop Pugh for Warnock - cap being dothed.

As for Zaliukas - call me sadistic but I did watch the goals again from the Wendies match and Zaliukas had a nightmare. Plenty of reasons for Brian to say to him 'sit this one out and lets see how you go'.
18longleeds
Bielsa's English Teacher

Post by 18longleeds »

I just think it needed changing up and im sure they will get the chance again. Pugh has done alright since he came back in Zaluikas reminds me of Tate last year couple of good games and then tailed off big time.
NottinghamWhite
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by NottinghamWhite »

I'm struggling to see how Zaliukas has gone from hero to zero after the Wednesday debacle. There has to be outside distractions somewhere in his life, we all saw what a fantastic signing he was and I'm sure everyone else is scratching their heads. As for Pugh I felt he has been one of the few successes in recent games.
Winner of the Europa League
SiMamu
LUFCTALK Moderator

Post by SiMamu »

I think McDermott views Pugh as a pure wing back who can't really play full back, while Warnock is a full back. Warnock's solider defensively and would require less support from Stewart, who didn't really track back a lot.
"A man with new ideas is a madman. Until his ideas triumph."
Sheepy
LUFCTALK Admin

Post by Sheepy »

SiMamu wrote:I think McDermott views Pugh as a pure wing back who can't really play full back, while Warnock is a full back. Warnock's solider defensively and would require less support from Stewart, who didn't really track back a lot.
Yup, totally agree :thumbup:

Although yesterday he played Byram in stead of Peltier and I think you can say the same for Byram and Pelts with Byram being the wing back type and Pelts more the defensive Right Back. Perhaps he thought Kebe did not require such a defensive back up on that side.
USA for Leeds
Arthur Fairclough's milliner

Post by USA for Leeds »

SiMamu wrote:I think McDermott views Pugh as a pure wing back who can't really play full back, while Warnock is a full back. Warnock's solider defensively and would require less support from Stewart, who didn't really track back a lot.
Another agree.

As for Zaliukas, if you play badly a few games in a row you should sit. I bet he sits two games, comes back and does well again. McD is creating a culture of accountability, which is the key to getting consistent performances. If players think they will start no matter how well they do, they get lazy. I'm glad McD sits players who do poorly.
isrodger
Howard Wilkinson's military attaché

Post by isrodger »

I felt warnock should return with the reversion to 442. In terms of Z he looked head and shoulders our best central defender, harsh treatment in my view. I honestly think wooton and him will proove our best pairing.